James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

9 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

23% of Premier League CBs won a greater share of their aerial duels than Tarkowski. Of course, what that doesn't say is how many of those duels they were in. Tarkowski was in plenty playing for Burnley. For raw aerial duels won, his 4.97 duels won per match was in the 97th percentile.

Long story short, he's good in the air, and we need improvements there. Tarkowski and Kamara are clear upgrades over Konsa and Luiz/Nakamba in that area.

Ok well that raises a question for me on him.

Is that because of Burnley's low block or is that because he personally attempts aerial duels that it isn't possible for him to win which is possibly bad defending.

Obviously data can't answer that 

9 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I brought up the aerial aspect because it's an important part of the way we defend considering our shape. Rest assured he's good at other things too. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.13.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.13.28 PM.jpg

Other than blocks and clearances I think those stats are underwhelming.

I wasn't worried about signing him until you put this up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weedman said:

Isn't he 29? I'm very underwhelmed by this signing but it's not the 90's, central defenders are still at their peak well into their 30's as long as they look after themselves (I have no idea if he does or not). There's very little chance of resale value whether we give him a 3 or 5 year contract, and I doubt we'll see a really noticeable decline in his ability between 32 and 34

There are reasons to be underwhelmed by this potential signing, but him getting a 5 year deal instead of a 3 year deal isn't one of them in my opinion

30 in November, no way would I give him a 5 year deal. I'd want three and could live with splitting the difference.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Making huge numbers of blocks and clearances is a consequence of playing at Burnley, I doubt we want to play the same way. I know there's more to Tarkowski than that but the question for me is if he also can be part of transforming the way we build from deep.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not sure on this one. He is ok but a fairy meat and potatoes defender who is nearly 30. Does this mean we have given up on Gomez?  Konsa or Hause to be sold?

It would seem odd to sell a left sided defender who has been putting up with being forth choice whilst being decent for a right footed defender.

For me it means he wants 5 centre backs or Konsa isn't wanted.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

What worries you about those stats? I don't see too much to worry about.

29 minutes ago, Creeper said:

From 2/1 into 1/2 in the betting in the last 2 hours. Admittedly could be nothing but mug punters based on last nights news of us being in for him but still feel its worth passing on 

Where you seeing this? Nothing on oddschercker

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

What worries you about those stats? I don't see too much to worry about.

They just aren’t that impressive, players have to be good enough to get us where we aspire to be.

I’d hope for more that’s all.

I think he is a good player whenever I have actually seen him but it doesn’t bear out as much in those stats

• Like 1

If I'm a striker up against Mings and Tarkowski then I'm not looking forward to the game tbh.  I also think we need two CBs who are defenders first if our fullbacks are playing up front.  Think it would be a great signing

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

If I'm a striker up against Mings and Tarkowski then I'm not looking forward to the game tbh.  I also think we need two CBs who are defenders first if our fullbacks are playing up front.  Think it would be a great signing

If I'm a striker I might look forward to whenever Martinez tries to play the ball out with Mings and Tarkowski.

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If I'm a striker I might look forward to whenever Martinez tries to play the ball out with Mings and Tarkowski.

If I'm Martinez I'm not going to make hospital passes to my cbs

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Ok well that raises a question for me on him.

Is that because of Burnley's low block or is that because he personally attempts aerial duels that it isn't possible for him to win which is possibly bad defending.

Obviously data can't answer that 

The numbers can't tell us which it is on their own, but combined with what we see with our eyes, I think it's more the former than the latter. Unless he's the greatest aerial threat in the history of the world, the more he's forced to attempt by the way Burnley plays, the more likely he's going to lose some. The only way to truly know from the numbers would be to see how every other player would do when forced to attempt as many as he does.

All that said, the fact he still rates this highly despite having more attempts than most others is generally a good sign that the results are "sticky," which indicate it's a genuine skill of his.

24 minutes ago, paul514 said:

They just aren’t that impressive, players have to be good enough to get us where we aspire to be.

I’d hope for more that’s all.

I think he is a good player whenever I have actually seen him but it doesn’t bear out as much in those stats

I suppose a lot of those stats are down to the way Burnley play as well though. I wouldn't be too worried if he came, on a reasonable contract of course.

I was against this initially.  However after doing some research I have come around.  He was a very good ball playing CB with Brentford so he certainly has that in his locker.  He has shown that he has very good instincts and defensive ability in the Premier League.  I agree with the age/mobility concerns.  But Mings is the mobile CB, Tark is the defensive stallwart.  The two could actually make a very good pairing.  Plus, with Kamara signed and possibly Bissouma or similar still to arrive... our CBs will have much higher quality DMs types protecting them AND providing passing outlets.  That will certainly make their lives easier, less need to lump it forward if you have someone like Kamara always properly showing for the ball.

In addition, him arriving on a free leaves transfer funds available to go after the CMs and STs etc etc that Gerrard covets.  I'm still of the opinion that we might very well sell 1+ CBs and bring in 1+ CBs.  With Konsa injured until January, the Tark signing is just filling the Konsa void imo.  I still think we will sell Hause and sign another CB, maybe younger with promise?

The key for me in this is he's a proven Premier League player. With hundreds of games experience, he's played in Europe with Burnley too lets not forget. He's a known quantity and critically he's been consistent. As much as we love Konsa he's had 1 good season in his 3 at Villa so far. 

We've seen with Chambers, Digne, Coutinho what signing ready made experienced players are like. We'd all call those three signings successful and we're all very positive about their contributions next season after a full pre-season. Tarkowski, Bissouma, Suarez, Oxlaide-Chamberlain etc.. are all proven players in the Premier League. Bissouma being the least experienced has 112 premier league games in 4 seasons.

• Like 1

Â