The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

Yeah, with hindsight I kinda wish it happened rather than being against it. 

The PL generally isn't that fun in terms of competitiveness and I think it'd create a perfect opportunity to **** of these teams, add a salary cap to the league and make it actually fun. Yeah, top players would leave, but does it matter? We've basically never really had top players and it hasn't stopped us watchin.

This is dead on arrival.

No German teams and no English teams.

So 64 teams of crap that include Real Madrid, Barca, maybe athletico, Ajax, rangers, Celtic ac Milan, inter, juve, Napoli,  benfica, Porto and then maybe another 10 decent teams but then 40 teams that wouldn’t even get into the championship.

UEFA should strip Real Madrid immediately of every single champions league they have ever won. 

• Like 1

Interesting with the new law coming in next season which would effectively prohibit any premier league team joining a super league.

If a team, say ManUre really want to join the super league then they would surely have to ‘leave’ the premier league in order to do so and I cannot see any of the original six clubs wanting to do that as the financial reward is so great. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Not a doubt in my mind that Man United, Liverpool and Man City would still love to join this if they could get away with it. 

And the criteria for joining the Star League (the top ESL league) is the past 10 years coefficient. 

So Chelsea go straight to the top table, whereas Villa would have to join the Blue League with all the other newbies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12890363/Rishi-Sunak-BAN-English-clubs-joining-European-Super-League.html

Rishi Sunak will BAN English clubs from joining the European Super League after new bombshell plans are revealed... as the Government vows to bring forward bill to create football's new independent regulator

Although the European Court of Justice's bombshell ruling is a huge boost for supporters of the European Super League, Rishi Sunak urged that the Football Governance Bill - a forthcoming legislation - would be used to ban British clubs from participating in a new league. 

Super Rishi on the case!

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

If this goes ahead, football is finished. Those that go will contribute to a league of fake competition. Those that don't will be left in a competition whose value has been compromised.

Remember when the FA Cup and League Cup meant something? The domestic league would be like those competitions in 5 years.

This proposal has no effect on any domestic league. The clubs are just playing in the ESL instead of playing UEFA european competitions. 

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This proposal has no effect on any domestic league. The clubs are just playing in the ESL instead of playing UEFA european competitions. 

It has a massive effect.  Using Chelsea as an example, they go straight into the Star League based on their 10 year coefficient. Now why do they care where they finish in the Premier League when even if they finish 20th it doesn't matter?  The only way to leave the Star League is to finish bottom of that league and then you go into the Gold League. 

It's the same for all of the ESL 6 teams. Finishing higher in the PL just doesn't matter any more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's supposedly going to earn clubs a lot of money. The PL is currently the most lucrative, almost entirely because of TV money. If the Super League is going to be free on tv... where does the money come from, exactly?

I don’t entirely get what’s in this for the premier league clubs anyway. The premier league money already gives them (and us tbh) a disgusting advantage over our European competitors. They’re literally bankrupting themselves trying to keep up the pace with us and it’s only getting worse for them.

Whats the sense in levelling the playing field when they’re practically on their knees?

I mean this in a pure Darwinist/capitalist sense. It’s not my philosophy, but if the objective is to dominate our rivals then we’re already drowning them. What’s the sense to the likes of city and Liverpool chucking Barca a life jacket?

28 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's supposedly going to earn clubs a lot of money. The PL is currently the most lucrative, almost entirely because of TV money. If the Super League is going to be free on tv... where does the money come from, exactly?

Probably Saudi Arabia if you could track the money back. 

Also it’s not free forever, just for the first year or so until everyone gets used to it and loves it.

Edited by ender4

23 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don’t entirely get what’s in this for the premier league clubs anyway. The premier league money already gives them (and us tbh) a disgusting advantage over our European competitors. They’re literally bankrupting themselves trying to keep up the pace with us and it’s only getting worse for them.

Whats the sense in levelling the playing field when they’re practically on their knees?

I mean this in a pure Darwinist/capitalist sense. It’s not my philosophy, but if the objective is to dominate our rivals then we’re already drowning them. What’s the sense to the likes of city and Liverpool chucking Barca a life jacket?

Not all the Sky 6 qualify for the Champions League every year. This guarantees annual revenue for them every year forever. 

They would still get the PL money as well as the extra hundreds of millions from the ESL.

They don’t care either way whether it also helps Barcelona.

32 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Saudi. 

And obviously it won't be free for long. Once they're in, they're in. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Probably Saudi Arabia if you could track the money back. 

Also it’s not free forever, just for the first year or so until everyone gets used to it and loves it.

So what they're saying is, the Super League will have worse teams than the current Champions League.. and you'd have to pay for it? Yeah, not gonna work.

Â