Thread for anyone that enjoys short films

useless

“The Second Death” by John Michael McDonagh. 

Eleven minutes long.

As the opening title card says, it serves as a bit of a prototype for the lead character that would later appear in McDonagh’s debut feature film “The Guard”. It also has a feeling similar to that of his follow up “Calvary”. Plenty of recognisable faces that would go on to appear in both of those films.

It also has an echo of a Christmas ghost story.

Contains swearing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Only been on the telly once in this country I think when Sportsnight was cancelled many, many moons ago. It has lived in my head ever since

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Only been on the telly once in this country I think when Sportsnight was cancelled many, many moons ago. It has lived in my head ever since

I watched that the other day after it appeared on my twitter timeline. I'm glad I did. Seems it's a very well known and thought of short. It does kinda live in the head alright.

• Like 2

Short films are quite hard things to do. Bit like a novella. The sort of thing that you would stumble on in the early hours on Channel Four. Gives up and coming directors a chance to showcase their skills. I wouldn't mind going to the cinema and watch say 3 short films than one hourly long feature film.

• 3 weeks later...

If we're talking genius short movies on Netflix then absolutely watch 'Love, Death & Robots'. Every one of them completely different art styles, themes, genres. Can't recommend them highly enough.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

If we're talking genius short movies on Netflix then absolutely watch 'Love, Death & Robots'. Every one of them completely different art styles, themes, genres. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I started watching it but fell asleep early on, will try again 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I started watching it but fell asleep early on, will try again 

They're all so different and completely unrelated. They're from different creators. If you don't like one, it has no bearing on the next. 

Oats Studios and Love Death + Robots are both amazing.

"Zygote" from Oats is essentially what Blomkamp's Alien film would have been if Ridley wasn't a colossal ass-bag about it.

The Wizard of Oz, 1910. 

Only 13 minutes or so long. It synchs up with first four tracks of The Dark Side of the Moon fairly well.

Not a short film in the slightest but related, some of the imagery of the 1925 version, The Wizard of Oz appear fairly nightmarish.

Plus points though, the Tin Man is Oliver Hardy and (surprisingly, to me) the lion is played by black actor Spencer Bell.

47D48D3A-4E69-4493-A10D-2724C043B50F.jpeg.555768ba7ad7a0832eaa1da274a2f721.jpeg

619A017E-AD3E-4AF9-9622-08A891FEA9B8.thumb.jpeg.345a8ed4d1f7e63d5a470c0a9ed0b3d7.jpeg

5EC3E570-1649-4F0E-B42D-30A347AA1A4A.jpeg.fa0229ec84e3b7dbf1204f73ec112bc7.jpeg

On 18/05/2022 at 22:35, Mark Albrighton said:

“12:01PM” (1990). About 25 minutes long.

Basically Groundhog Day before Groundhog Day, but done in more of a nightmarish, Twilight Zone style tone.

Cheers, watached this because of this thread.

Really good. Is it acknowledged that Groundhog Day borrowed from this? Because it's basically an identical concept

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

"If Anything Happens I Love You" is worth a watch on Netflix. Another Oscar winner (as was Hair Love posted above)

I watch Hair Love quite frequently. It's exceptional. 

• Like 1

Â