Thread for anyone that enjoys short films

useless

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers, watached this because of this thread.

Really good. Is it acknowledged that Groundhog Day borrowed from this? Because it's basically an identical concept

Short answer, no.

Long answer, also no, but they tried. I believe the writer of the original story and the director of the short film initiated some legal action but it didn’t get anywhere.

There was another story called “Replay” published in the 80’s where a man keeps living the same 25 years over and over. I think there was some claim that Groundhog Day borrowed from that, but again it came to nothing.

Before 12:01 was published in early 70’s, there was an episode of The Twilight Zone in 1961 called Shadowplay which had a character having the same dream again and again, trying to break the pattern which had similar vibes to all these stories.

And way before that, there was something called The Defence of Duffer’s Drift in 1904 which has some soldier in charge of a battle in the Boer War, who dreams the battle over and over again, losing each time, but learns what not to do.

Basically I think there have been too many similar ideas to definitively state the idea belonged to one author.

For the record, Danny Rubin (writer of Groundhog Day) has said his jumping off point was something called Christmas Every Day which was published in 1892.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Short answer, no.

Long answer, also no, but they tried. I believe the writer of the original story and the director of the short film initiated some legal action but it didn’t get anywhere.

There was another story called “Replay” published in the 80’s where a man keeps living the same 25 years over and over. I think there was some claim that Groundhog Day borrowed from that, but again it came to nothing.

Before 12:01 was published in early 70’s, there was an episode of The Twilight Zone in 1961 called Shadowplay which had a character having the same dream again and again, trying to break the pattern which had similar vibes to all these stories.

And way before that, there was something called The Defence of Duffer’s Drift in 1904 which has some soldier in charge of a battle in the Boer War, who dreams the battle over and over again, losing each time, but learns what not to do.

Basically I think there have been too many similar ideas to definitively state the idea belonged to one author.

For the record, Danny Rubin (writer of Groundhog Day) has said his jumping off point was something called Christmas Every Day which was published in 1892.

I did some googling and looks like they made a feature length version of 12:01 too, and after the release of that the author of the original short story claimed Groundhog Day had plagiarised them and he and Jonathan Heap tried to sue them but with no success

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I did some googling and looks like they made a feature length version of 12:01 too, and after the release of that the author of the original short story claimed Groundhog Day had plagiarised them and he and Jonathan Heap tried to sue them but with no success

Yep as it happens I originally watched the full feature version of 12:01 a good number of years before seeing the original short film.

It’s not great, in all honesty. But it’s there if you wanted to see it for comparative reasons. Watchable nonsense. I think you can find it on YouTube. Much more “comedic” in tone (supposedly). It has Martin Landau and Jeremy Piven in supporting roles and the bloke from Weekend at Bernie’s and the woman from City Slickers and Supergirl in the lead roles.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Really good short film, it has subtitles :P 

Ah yes, I know from the name what this is. I remember seeing it in the cinema. It came on as a little freebie before the main film. Quite a bittersweet point made about the Irish language but nicely done, and a father Ted star in it to boot :D Arse!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Â