New kits 22/23

sne

adidas are giving themselves the same problem as nike too with these away kits that dont really mean anything to anyone

Germany Away Shirt

germany-pre-match-jersey-18997-4.jpg

one of them is a £90 shirt the other is a £50 training top...

Japan 2022 Adidas Pre-Match Jersey - Team Collegiate Red

Spain 2022 Adidas Pre-Match Jersey - Team Navy Blue

Argentina 2022 Adidas Pre-Match Jersey - Royal Blue

all cheaper training tops, ok they've lost the 3 stripes on the arms but i dont think the away shirts are differentiating themselves enough to justify the jump in cost

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 10:16, sne said:

Levente managing to one of the worst away kits of the year but then they come up with this for their home kit. Nice!

levante_ud_2022_2023_home_kit_2.jpglevante_ud_2022_2023_home_kit_8.jpeg

They've managed to show Barcelona how to do a Barcelona kit, which is appropriate given Barca's shirt this season is diabolical

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 18:29, The_Steve said:

🤢🤢 

So much wrong - from the monochrome white crest to contrasting stripes in opposition to the sleeves. Ewwww. 

That's weird. It's like somebody designed quite a nice shirt, and then somebody else whacked the Adidas log and the Leeds badge in the wrong place and totally ruined it

On 29/08/2022 at 21:04, villa4europe said:

On those adidas kits - the new logo is a lot better without the Adidas writing 

So many brands are doing this "debranding". All sorts of companies, not just sports. 

I think it's a lot to do with digital media. Logos look better on small screens, as app logos etc when they have less detail. So more and more companies are simplifying their logos.

debranding-2019-2020.jpeg

Maybe @NurembergVillan could shed some light on it? (I know you're not advertising as such but I guess you'd have some knowledge)

• Like 1

yeah id seen in the villa badge thread talk before about marketing teams creating logos that can go up or down in size without losing any of the detail, the juve one being the most obvious

adidas looks cleaner and its still easily identifiable

they do of course still need a retro trefoil logo range but thats something different

• Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 08:21, Stevo985 said:

Maybe @NurembergVillan could shed some light on it? (I know you're not advertising as such but I guess you'd have some knowledge)

I think it's just part of a shift towards cleaner design in general. We're all surrounded by so much shit - imagery, products, advertising, apps, avatars. It's too much.

Better to make your point simply and clearly than try to say too much and get drowned out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So many brands are doing this "debranding". All sorts of companies, not just sports. 

I think it's a lot to do with digital media. Logos look better on small screens, as app logos etc when they have less detail. So more and more companies are simplifying their logos.

The death of skeumorphism 

Indeed you are correct… lots are logos are getting simplified to be easy to see and recognise in different formats (such as small phone screens) and placed on different objects.  
The smart redesigns are often the ones that are a “full logo” that can be stripped back to something overly simple and still be equally recognisable as the brand… here’s some good examples

c1419f1eee2c8a4df986b97fea5b131e.jpg

it’s a concept I’d like Villa to have in their forthcoming rebrand

• Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 05:23, sne said:

Puma trying to do something different I guess. Not a fan myself

ghana_2022_away_kit_a.jpegsenegal_2022_away_kit_a.jpeguruguay_2022_away_kit_a.jpeg

What the ever-loving **** are Puma on?  Between these and the horrible ones last year with the names across the shirt, gotta to be the absolute nadir of shirt design at the mo.  These look like knock-off kits you'd get from a street corner in Camden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Indeed you are correct… lots are logos are getting simplified to be easy to see and recognise in different formats (such as small phone screens) and placed on different objects.  
The smart redesigns are often the ones that are a “full logo” that can be stripped back to something overly simple and still be equally recognisable as the brand… here’s some good examples

c1419f1eee2c8a4df986b97fea5b131e.jpg

it’s a concept I’d like Villa to have in their forthcoming rebrand

This has been a thing for a few years thanks to responsive design, responsive logos designed for different devices.

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

This has been a thing for a few years thanks to responsive design, responsive logos designed for different devices.

it’s great that designers are thinking this way now. But it’s taking time to really catch up.. in particular where brands are wanting their whole identity to be “cleaner” and their logos ending up being nothing but their name in a medium bold s/serif font… it looks ok in isolation, but compared to everyone else doing it, it just looks the same.

5fb51d96d2b8eae559c71d90_tech-fashion-lo 

On 01/09/2022 at 09:07, villa4europe said:

adidas are giving themselves the same problem as nike too with these away kits that dont really mean anything to anyone

all cheaper training tops, ok they've lost the 3 stripes on the arms but i dont think the away shirts are differentiating themselves enough to justify the jump in cost

A couple more

adidas-ajax-22-23-pre-match-shirt-black-white-59153-1.jpgarsenal-pre-match-jersey-18335-4.jpg

• Like 3

Â