The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Whereas I went to some nice bars in Bham Central last weekend and every place was packed and everyone was spending £100’s on drinking as much as possible until 3am. 

Brum is heaving at the moment, which is good to see, but also a pain when you can't get a table!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bickster said:

I went out last night, to a pub in the city centre and was paying £4:05 a pint for a hand pulled pale ale. It is still possible to drink in a city centre pub and come home with change from £25

And it’s a decent pub too. Always 9 hand pulled beers usually from fairly local small indie breweries plus it’s usually the full range from light to dark and a cider

Its just a pub, no food, you just have to know about it because it’s in a back street.

I'll bet most large cities have similar because we've got a fair few dotted about

I've always said that ultimately all pubs that close are basically shit pubs. They can be shit for different reasons but shit nevertheless. 

Good pubs do well. 

I also don't understand why pub operators can't see this.  Good example is Edmunds on Edmund Street in Brum.

Operated very successfully for years under the same owners. They flog it to a new group buy it, presumably because it was a successful and profitable venture. 

Then of course instead of carrying on with the successful formula they change the place which gradually runs down until closure. Just why change it all? Why did you want to buy it? 

• Like 1

As well as the half price electricity on Sundays British Gas have also been doing peak save offers where you get a reward for using less energy between set times (usually 5-6pm in the week).

I would opt in to them all despite the fact I didn’t have much scope to reduce consumption. The total energy save for the last period was £0.95, but the bonus for posting a save was £20. Not bad. 

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Inflation reduces to 3.9% in November.

That's good.  I wonder if it'll end up swinging the other way and going below the 2% target? Or will Bank of England start to reduce interest rates as soon as it gets under 3%.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

That's good.  I wonder if it'll end up swinging the other way and going below the 2% target? Or will Bank of England start to reduce interest rates as soon as it gets under 3%.

By the sounds of it the BoE will start to reduce interests relatively soon (second half of ‘24). I suspect the sluggish flatlining economy will become more of a priority next year.

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

My mortgage is up for renewal Feb 2026, with a bit of luck I might catch the downward trajectory of the interest rates (although I doubt I’ll get anything close to 1.39% again)

Mine is up in May next year Dave. Has been 1.54% for last 3 years and i have been looking around....cheapest I can get is 5 year fixed (4.8%) at an increase of £70 pcm which is obviously preferable to nationwide standard fee reversion (7.9%) with an increase of £270 if i do nothing. 

Thatcher's Britain 😡

Edited by mottaloo

11 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Mine is up in May next year Dave. Has been 1.54% for last 3 years and i have been looking around....cheapest I can get is 5 year fixed (4.8%) at an increase of £70 pcm which is obviously preferable to nationwide standard fee reversion with an increase of £270 if i do nothing. 

Thatcher's Britain 😡

I guess over 3 years your take home pay will have increased by more than £70 a month so it’s still a decent deal.

I’d take that if it were me! On current market rates mine will be a couple of hundred a month more (but to be fair my current deal is exceptionally cheap).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Starting to see talk of energy bill falls now. I should think so too, day ahead power today is at its second lowest price since 2020. Way before any supposed energy crisis. 

I wonder if natural gas prices can maintain this level or if its just a freak few days or weeks?  It's basically at the 5 year average before Covid & Ukraine. 

But priced in $, so the UK will still pay a bit more as our currency isn't as strong as it used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Barclays and Santander have joined Halifax in cutting their mortgage interest rates. Great news for borrowers. All are taking around about 0.8/0.9% off their “deals” ahead of expected cuts in the BoE base rate during 2024.

Went to The Ivy in Birmingham for lunch today.  It was absolutely rammed. Random Thursday lunchtime a couple of weeks after Christmas. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Went to The Ivy in Birmingham for lunch today.  It was absolutely rammed. Random Thursday lunchtime a couple of weeks after Christmas. 

american-psycho-impressive.gif

• Haha 1

Â