The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Labour suspend their perverts. The tories give them the job of chief whip

The no money started with the global financial crisis. I doubt anyone would have got the economy through that unscathed (and that's from someone who didn't vote Labour in 2010 precisely because of that).

The tories have just made it worse and worse and worse.

All their mates are fine though

So are you saying labour never wasted any money? 

No one said its fine btw just you

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course they did. Would we have avoided the GLOBAL financial crisis if they didn't? I doubt it

Did they deliberately funnel it into the pockets of their mates during a pandemic?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

No one said its fine btw just you

This is the thing, everybody does a bit of everything.

Labour might have someone in their ranks that’s a bit touchy and they suspend them. The Tories have dozens of sex pests and do their best to sweep it under the carpet or actually promote them.

The Labour leader was seen drinking a bottle of beer during what was confirmed as a work meeting. The Tories were literally  partying every night, in Downing Street, whilst the rest of us couldn’t even see our dying relatives or attend their funerals.

Labour did a project 20 years ago that lost money. The Tories wasted tens of billions of pounds and funnelled most of it into the pockets of their mates. They have racked up so much debt for us to pay back that the interest alone is £20b per month.

You can’t say it’s all the same, there’s scales to this stuff.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

All governments spend money, different perspectives decide if it's wasted.

I'm sure the benefactors of the COVID money aren't saying it was wasted..

I'm sure the people who pay for private medical care think any money spent on the NHS is a waste.

All I know is that when labour were in charge, I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for a GP, hospital waiting times were sub 3 hours, crime was down on what it is today, house prices to wages were much healthier and uni fees were a max of £1500 a year (now £9,500).

Life for the general public seemed a little fairer.

But don't worry, some paid up conservative will tell you labour sold all our gold (everyone did because the price of gold fell through the floor), MPs were taking loads of cash out the pot for expenses and the Tories have come in, steadied the ship and we're all 1 more term from paradise (for the high earners, **** the low earners/jobless).

I couldnt find work under the last labour government had so many people going for same jobs as it was hard. But i could easily get a GP appointment!

Now its other way round. Is it so much to ask ffs for both!

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course they did. Would we have avoided the GLOBAL financial crisis if they didn't? I doubt it

Did they deliberately funnel it into the pockets of their mates during a pandemic?

No idea difficult to answer this question as we dont know how the laboir party would ahve dealt with pandemic same with tories during financial  crash. but im pretty sure there is a level of corruption in both parties just tories are **** much worse that i agree with you on

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I couldnt find work under the last labour government had so many people going for same jobs as it was hard. But i could easily get a GP appointment!

So you're saying the last Labour government had incredibly high employment with the ability to easily see a doctor?

Sounds... terrible? 😐 

• Haha 1

750m for thames water investors to help themselves out of their financial mess as they dont want nationalisation 

No doubt it will be passed on to us for more **** pressure on us during the cost of living

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

750m for thames water investors to help themselves out of their financial mess as they dont want nationalisation 

No doubt it will be passed on to us for more **** pressure on us during the cost of living

Debt is 2.5 billion apparently, so 750m is just a sticky plaster.

A nice half a BILLION per MONTH for the banks to enjoy, nice.

Mortgage payments will rise by at least £500 a month for nearly one million households by the end of 2026, the Bank of England has said.

(Partially offset by a smaller rise in interest rates on savings)

link

Edited by Genie

7 hours ago, Genie said:

US inflation now down to 3%, from 9.1% in June. That’s incredible. I doubt well see such a drop but hope we do. 

I was reading the other day there’s a real danger that it’ll rebound like a rubber band and we’ll end up with deflation. The method they’ve been using to bring it down (interest rates) aren’t an immediate thing. They take months to actually see an effect and they’ve raised them too far too quickly.

Im no student of the economy though! Not sure even they know what’s going to happen anymore.

A bit of doom and gloom in the press today as the UK economy has shrunk. 

Aren't we supposed to be celebrating this? Shouldn't we be giving high fives? Good job done? 

They've spent months trying to stop people spending to reduce inflation and now people seemingly have stopped spending. Wasn't this the whole idea? 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A bit of doom and gloom in the press today as the UK economy has shrunk. 

Aren't we supposed to be celebrating this? Shouldn't we be giving high fives? Good job done? 

They've spent months trying to stop people spending to reduce inflation and now people seemingly have stopped spending. Wasn't this the whole idea? 

Something to do with that Charles King bloke getting crowned isn’t it?  While that was happening all the serfs weren’t labouring in the cheese mines and pork factories and stuff.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Something to do with that Charles King bloke getting crowned isn’t it?  While that was happening all the serfs weren’t labouring in the cheese mines and pork factories and stuff.

I saw that angle but I don't buy it. 

Normally they say extra bank holidays boost the economy because of all the extra spending. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Normally they say extra bank holidays boost the economy because of all the extra spending. 

If you Chuck an extra bank holiday into a month that already has two, that was never going to happen!

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I was reading the other day there’s a real danger that it’ll rebound like a rubber band and we’ll end up with deflation. The method they’ve been using to bring it down (interest rates) aren’t an immediate thing. They take months to actually see an effect and they’ve raised them too far too quickly.

Im no student of the economy though! Not sure even they know what’s going to happen anymore.

Like you I'm no expert, but I read it will take 2-5 years for the effect on mortgage holders to be felt due to the amount of people on longer fixes

My fix is up in Feb next year, always knew my 2% rate was a game that eventually would come to an end, 4-5% not great but fair enough, but creeping upto 7% I am starting to get concerned about what to do when my fixed rate term ends. 

Â