The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Mrs complaining about Virgin Media wifi… I’ve re-bought a TP link router to see if the wifi distribution shuts her up. Plenty of people in the Amazon review section suggest it will.

I have 3 dotted around the house, haven’t had a single dropped connection since I bought them. 

Heinz bbq beans were at 1.80 a tin in Asda yesterday and I'm sure the macaroni they do was 2 quid a tin.

Genuinely cant believe anyone is paying that, feels like an experiment to see what they can get away with at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Heinz bbq beans were at 1.80 a tin in Asda yesterday and I'm sure the macaroni they do was 2 quid a tin.

Genuinely cant believe anyone is paying that, feels like an experiment to see what they can get away with at this point.

Everyone's at it  I really don't believe the big supermarkets would be buying them in at such a hike to prices.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Everyone's at it  I really don't believe the big supermarkets would be buying them in at such a hike to prices.

Tesco have had a bit of a war with Heinz over their prices, the stopped stocking Heinz Ketchup at one point. 

There is definitely some profiteering going on in food production. As ever not for the actual farmers though. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Tesco have had a bit of a war with Heinz over their prices, the stopped stocking Heinz Ketchup at one point. 

There is definitely some profiteering going on in food production. As ever not for the actual farmers though. 

I work in the ecommerce side of a food production business, I can categorically tell you the producers and manufacturers are REALLY struggling also not just the famers. Most of the companies are going D2C (hence my job) as the supermarkets are just volume merchants, we work with 3 of the majors and barely make any money at all, some months we make a loss on tens of thousands of units sent. The only meaningful profit comes from our D2C website / Amazon.

The Supermarkets will happily destroy family businesses (We've known of 5/6 in the last 6 months go under for dealing solely with Supermarkets). They will offer you unbelievably small margins, if any margin at all plus 120-180 day payment terms + you have to pay towards the products marketing + you are constantly "fined" for broken packaging (even if its their fault). For this purpose you will notice many supermarket brands beginning to push their own websites / advertise on facebook etc.

49 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I work in the ecommerce side of a food production business, I can categorically tell you the producers and manufacturers are REALLY struggling also not just the famers. Most of the companies are going D2C (hence my job) as the supermarkets are just volume merchants, we work with 3 of the majors and barely make any money at all, some months we make a loss on tens of thousands of units sent. The only meaningful profit comes from our D2C website / Amazon.

The Supermarkets will happily destroy family businesses (We've known of 5/6 in the last 6 months go under for dealing solely with Supermarkets). They will offer you unbelievably small margins, if any margin at all plus 120-180 day payment terms + you have to pay towards the products marketing + you are constantly "fined" for broken packaging (even if its their fault). For this purpose you will notice many supermarket brands beginning to push their own websites / advertise on facebook etc.

Fair enough but I don't believe Heinz are being bullied by supermarkets.

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Fair enough but I don't believe Heinz are being bullied by supermarkets.

I'd probably suggest they are testing their Mafia'esque ways on the bigger players now and possibly met their match.

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Local Booths supermarket Branston beans are £1 and buy one, give one free to the foodbank.

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

Local Booths supermarket Branston beans are £1 and buy one, give one free to the foodbank.

I buy the lidl ones at about 50-60p a tin, nothing wrong with them. I needed up buying the just essentials ones at about 1/4 of the price of Heinz, don’t care if they aren’t as nice I wouldn’t buy Heinz out of principle now.

On 08/03/2023 at 17:01, Genie said:

Mrs complaining about Virgin Media wifi… I’ve re-bought a TP link router to see if the wifi distribution shuts her up. Plenty of people in the Amazon review section suggest it will.

I've had numerous issues with devices dropping off Virgin WiFi. 

I read a reddit post which suggested turning off the ability for devices to keep switching between 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. 

I did this, renamed the 2.4 one and connected everything to that. 

So far no issues. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ll be having a good old mess with the virgin later this afternoon… 

Hopefully I can get some good action in all rooms of the house. 

So desperate for a KW.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone get their council tax bills through yet? Got mine today almost 3k.  Cheers you tory rocket polishers giving councils the ability to raise it maximum amount each year 

Rocket polishers 

You realise the rises are below the rate of inflation and that people work for the council

The cap isn't designed to be anything other than a limit on what councils can do, it's a restraint without it, you'd be paying more

Just now, bickster said:

You realise the rises are below the rate of inflation and that people work for the council

The cap isn't designed to be anything other than a limit on what councils can do, it's a restraint without it, you'd be paying more

There shouldnt be rises and mines gone up £120 from last year

Whats yours?

Edited by Demitri_C

Â