Star Trek: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Lichfield Dean

Worf and the Defiant rocking up makes it loads more hardcore than the first few series. And there's so much of the universe in there - Cardassians, Ferengis, Bajorans, Dominion, Jem Hadar etc But it's one of the series MrsVM has no interest in or connection to. The doctors all over the place as a character, O'brien keeps getting the family written in and out, Klingons at war and then back in the fold, Jake is a weak character. Odo and the changelings just drags on and on. I kinda get why people don't love it.

40 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Worf and the Defiant rocking up makes it loads more hardcore than the first few series. And there's so much of the universe in there - Cardassians, Ferengis, Bajorans, Dominion, Jem Hadar etc But it's one of the series MrsVM has no interest in or connection to. The doctors all over the place as a character, O'brien keeps getting the family written in and out, Klingons at war and then back in the fold, Jake is a weak character. Odo and the changelings just drags on and on. I kinda get why people don't love it.

Coincidentally I'm re-watching it again right now.

It is all over the place (randomly throwing a whole episode about a father and son flying a wooden spaceship across galaxies in the midst of a galactic war) but it is one of my favourite treks. I'd put it way above any recent stuff (maybe bot Lower Decks but thats a very different show), above Voyager and not far behind Next Gen.

Having not watched it in 20 odd years though, I'm surprised by how hot Kira is. Not as pretty as Dax but my teenage self clearly missed that somehow.

19 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Solid 3rd for me behind TNG and Voyager, but it's massively underrated really despite the flaws. Garak, Gul Dukat, Quark and Martok are particularly great characters.

The obsidian order notes your support

• Haha 1

Finally getting round to the latest Lower Decks. Still genius. I love how the title credit shot of them noping out of that big space battle has become increasingly more ludicrous with each passing season, think the big whale-talking tube from IV is this season's addition?  Gets me every time.

I didn't have a favourite line of Star Trek dialogue before but "Janeway straight up murdered a guy" might just be it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After completing the DS9 marathon it's on to Enterprise. Or rubbish Star Trek as it's called in this house. I always think Hoshi and Phlox are a bit hard done by, the performances and characters don't deserve to be in the franchise killer. But it really is laughable. And that theme tune......

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

After completing the DS9 marathon it's on to Enterprise. Or rubbish Star Trek as it's called in this house. I always think Hoshi and Phlox are a bit hard done by, the performances and characters don't deserve to be in the franchise killer. But it really is laughable. And that theme tune......

I like Enterprise. I think it's underrated. It suffered from various studio interference things, and it kind of veered around a lot in terms of what kind of a show it wanted to be from season to season, but I still enjoyed it.

I recently started a rewatch of DS9 too, but after slogging through the first tedious three series I gave up and rewatched Babylon 5 instead, which is still awesome (until season 5 when it turns into the first three seasons of DS9).

I'll probably head back to DS9 now because at least I know it improves dramatically from season 4 onwards.

14 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think that’s overly harsh tbh. Seasons 3 and 4 were great. It’s well known that all Star Trek shows need a couple of seasons to find their feet. The first few of next generation were trash as well.

Agree on the theme tune though. They tried to do something different and I think they kinda acknowledge all these years later that it didn’t work.

The scenes in decontamination where they rub gel over each other were creepy and unnecessary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I think that’s overly harsh tbh. Seasons 3 and 4 were great. It’s well known that all Star Trek shows need a couple of seasons to find their feet. The first few of next generation were trash as well.

Agree on the theme tune though. They tried to do something different and I think they kinda acknowledge all these years later that it didn’t work.

The scenes in decontamination where they rub gel over each other were creepy and unnecessary.

The other thing about the theme tune is that they decided to remix or rerecord it for the later seasons and somehow made it worse than it originally was.

At least it provided material for an endless number of jokes and some fun singalongs at conventions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The other thing about the theme tune is that they decided to remix or rerecord it for the later seasons and somehow made it worse than it originally was.

At least it provided material for an endless number of jokes and some fun singalongs at conventions.

Whenever I really need to believe something that song always pops into my head. Sometimes I sing it and nobody knows what it is.

The show is pants though (yes I just watched the first season!)

I'd say the air of cheapness from the costumes to the sets to (most of) the aliens irks me. When it tries to be bawdy it seems shoehorned in with little thought past get those girls in something more revealing than a jumpsuit. They try and make Tpol a 7of9 clone without much thought for the character past a vulcan in a skin tight costume. The whole time cold war storyline and the going back to the 1940's makes it a weird cross between Quantum Leap and when Eureka went rubbish (when they get trapped in the 1940's) for a while and too many of the main cast don't resonate with me. Scott Bakula included. I loved Quantum Leap fwiw, the formulaic nature of which added to it's charm but I'm not convinced it works the same here. Trip, the English guy, token black, they're all a bit meh.

The brilliance of the Andorians (especially Jeffrey Combs) and the cool ship (from the outside) aren't enough to salvage it imho. The whole thing just wreaks of coked up self important execs surrounded by sychophants all making ill advised decisions.

It's fun to play spot the guest actor(s) though

43 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'd say the air of cheapness from the costumes to the sets to (most of) the aliens irks me. When it tries to be bawdy it seems shoehorned in with little thought past get those girls in something more revealing than a jumpsuit. They try and make Tpol a 7of9 clone without much thought for the character past a vulcan in a skin tight costume. The whole time cold war storyline and the going back to the 1940's makes it a weird cross between Quantum Leap and when Eureka went rubbish (when they get trapped in the 1940's) for a while and too many of the main cast don't resonate with me. Scott Bakula included. I loved Quantum Leap fwiw, the formulaic nature of which added to it's charm but I'm not convinced it works the same here. Trip, the English guy, token black, they're all a bit meh.

The brilliance of the Andorians (especially Jeffrey Combs) and the cool ship (from the outside) aren't enough to salvage it imho. The whole thing just wreaks of coked up self important execs surrounded by sychophants all making ill advised decisions.

It's fun to play spot the guest actor(s) though

Enterprise did have the single best end to a Star Trek show ever though with killing a main character and Riker on the Holodeck.

No wait. Hang on. That's backwards.  That ending was flipping awful.

I will give Enterprise some credit though. 

It's better than Discovery. 

• Like 2

I'm watching DS9 again having done TNG recently. As much as I love TNG, I think I actually prefer DS9.

The best contrast for me between DS9 and TNG, is the reaction you have when you realise it's a Ferengi episode. 

Either utter joy or utter despair. 

I only really ever watched the second half of DS9, and while I still thought it was fairly good I did always feel like the idea of a wartime Star Trek seemed to squandering what made Star Trek interesting.

I feel like TNG was a fairly unique show in the sci-fi world, whereas I feel like other shows do the military sci-fi stuff much better than DS9 does it - most notably Battlestar Galactica. I think DS9 suffers in that regard because there's only so gritty you can be in the family-friendly Star Trek universe.

(Although it probably wasn't a coincidence that the writer of BSG cut his teeth on DS9).

Last few weeks I've started watching TNG for the first time :o

I have vague memories of it being on initially when I was a kid but never really got into it then or much of a star wars or star trek fan. But damn  nearly 5 seasons in and its mostly very very good! Though does feel like almost every other episode is another case of data learning about humanity. Thought he'd have picked it up by now 😛

• Like 1

I have also been rewatching the original series of Star Trek.

Always entertaining to see if Kirk gets to kiss one of the women in each episode and how long into the episode it takes him!

Also looking on wiki of the leading female roles that were in the original series, some famous actresses appeared, cannot believe that they are old grandmothers now.....mind you I am nearly 66 years old and can recall the original series being broadcast in the late 1960's.

As the ideas ran out it did get worse and I can see why it finally got cancelled.

I enjoyed deep space 9 especially the interplay between Quark and Odo.

The next generation has dated slightly for me but still is good

Voyager was spoilt by the character/actress Janeway.

Enterprise was ok some duff episodes

Picard ....wow Patrick Stewart is looking old now 🙁. Still a great actor and the best Captain.

But I am not a "Trekky"........honestly! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I have also been rewatching the original series of Star Trek.

Always entertaining to see if Kirk gets to kiss one of the women in each episode and how long into the episode it takes him!

Also looking on wiki of the leading female roles that were in the original series, some famous actresses appeared, cannot believe that they are old grandmothers now.....mind you I am nearly 66 years old and can recall the original series being broadcast in the late 1960's.

As the ideas ran out it did get worse and I can see why it finally got cancelled.

I enjoyed deep space 9 especially the interplay between Quark and Odo.

The next generation has dated slightly for me but still is good

Voyager was spoilt by the character/actress Janeway.

Enterprise was ok some duff episodes

Picard ....wow Patrick Stewart is looking old now 🙁. Still a great actor and the best Captain.

But I am not a "Trekky"........honestly! 😂

Patrick Stewart has looked 'old' for 50 years. He hasn't done too bad! He is 83 now though.

9 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

the idea of a wartime Star Trek seemed to squandering what made Star Trek interesting.

I think Gene Roddenberry agreed fwiw. Lots of people associated with the reboots (TNG onwards) have loads of tales of him not agreeing with their storylines (and outright stealing scripts or re writing them) - but one of the main themes in those tales seems to be that by introducing so much war n that it goes against his idea of mankind having transcended all that conflict. Writers say they were often frustrated because so much of stroytelling/writing is based on literary conflict.

• Like 1

Â