Euro 2028 UK & Ireland

Demitri_C

Being widely reported we are going to obtain the right to hold the tournament as Russia out of running due to the current war and Turkey expected to withdraw. Leaving UK & Ireland as only runners.

Great news.

Final will be at wembley. Can imagine hampden park getting a semi final.

I think the only stadiums they might use other than wembley in england would probably be OT or Tottenham hotspur/emirates.

I dont know too much about the welsh and irish stadiums do they have large capacity stadiums?

You need 10 stadiums for a bid. 

You’d presume Wembley gets the final.  You’d want games in Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin and Belfast.  There are plenty of big GAA stadiums in Ireland, it’s just whether they’ll turn them over to football or not. England’s 2018 World Cup bid had Wembley, the Olympic Stadium, Arsenal, Spurs, Anfield, Old Trafford, Man City, St James’s Park, Stadium of Light, Elland Road, Villa Park, Hillsborough, Forest, Plymouth, Milton Keynes & Bristol Rovers as locations. Some of those stadiums would have been improved/expanded as part of the bid but clearly having games in the regions was a priority. I suspect England would lose some stadiums in London and the North West when the bid solidifies but Villa Park would be a strong candidate, especially if the North Stand gets rebuilt. 

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

You need 10 stadiums for a bid. 

You’d presume Wembley gets the final.  You’d want games in Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin and Belfast.  There are plenty of big GAA stadiums in Ireland, it’s just whether they’ll turn them over to football or not. England’s 2018 World Cup bid had Wembley, the Olympic Stadium, Arsenal, Spurs, Anfield, Old Trafford, Man City, St James’s Park, Stadium of Light, Elland Road, Villa Park, Hillsborough, Forest, Plymouth, Milton Keynes & Bristol Rovers as locations. Some of those stadiums would have been improved/expanded as part of the bid but clearly having games in the regions was a priority. I suspect England would lose some stadiums in London and the North West when the bid solidifies but Villa Park would be a strong candidate, especially if the North Stand gets rebuilt. 

I imagine our owners are aware of this hence the recent proposal submitted to increase the North Stand.

I wonder if there’ll be any funding from the FA? 

The EURO's (and the WC) have gotten too big. The last one was an abomination but even the more regular one moving forward will feel disjointed and watered down.

Shouldn't take 5 countries or enormous infrastructure projects to host a tournament.

• Like 1

The cynic in me says the stadiums, especially as it gets to the latter stages will be based around corporate facilities and their ability to make money 

Its why Wembley hosted the final to the last euros, wouldnt be surprised to see Wembley get the final and a semi final 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

There are plenty of big GAA stadiums in Ireland, it’s just whether they’ll turn them over to football or not. 

All of them GAA stadiums are kips with little to no space for media, hospitality etc. And way too much terraces. In the republic croke park and the Aviva in dublin are the only two decent stadiums. Assuming northern ireland will get a game or two then they will probably have to renovate casement park (a GAA ground) or expand Windsor park. Neither option is too appealing. 

Edited by villa89

49 minutes ago, villa89 said:

All of them GAA stadiums are kips with little to no space for media, hospitality etc. And way too much terraces. In the republic croke park and the Aviva in dublin are the only two decent stadiums. Assuming northern ireland will get a game or two then they will probably have to renovate casement park (a GAA ground) or expand Windsor park. Neither option is too appealing. 

Pairc Ui Chaoimhe was just renovated recently to 45000 and claims to be state of the art. Football has been played there but it was a charity match 

Croke Park is an incredible stadium but it was not great for football when Ireland played there. The pitch is too big so your a bit away from the pitch and the grass is longer than a football pitch

54 minutes ago, villa89 said:

So token group stage game between, say, Finland and Slovenia or something then? 😝

8 minutes ago, sne said:

So are all the host nations going to automatically qualify?

I would guess that would be the offer and would make the best tournament  but in practical terms I'd have though not

Then again by 2028 UEFA might just have all 55 nations plus 9 specially invited mates 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I would guess that would be the offer and would make the best tournament  but in practical terms I'd have though not

Then again by 2028 UEFA might just have all 55 nations plus 9 specially invited mates 

They want 32 teams for 2028 which is absurd. Probably could give 4 host nations a spot

I don't see Northern Ireland getting games

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pairc Ui Chaoimhe was just renovated recently to 45000 and claims to be state of the art. Football has been played there but it was a charity match 

Croke Park is an incredible stadium but it was not great for football when Ireland played there. The pitch is too big so your a bit away from the pitch and the grass is longer than a football pitch

They made the pitch stupidly wide that day and it still looked terrible the space around the pitch

A view of the crowd at the game

I'd say it would just about hold 30k if there was seats put in the terraces too.

Was bits in the paper about this.

Apparently it will be 12 venues selected as they expect it to be 32 teams by euro 2028. Surely there's no point to qualifying then?

Anyway apparently only two venues from London allowed so will be Wembley and one other, probably Spurs.

Midlands venue is a cert so between us and Leicester. Think Leicester will shortly get their ground up to 40k but can't see any way it gets picked if we've got VP to 50k + by then.

Murrayfield and Hampden probably used, not sure which Old Firm ground.

Windsor Park can only be extended up to 25k so they might ask for special dispensation to use it.

Interesting to look back to euro 96. Only Wembley was used from London and had grounds like Hillsborough (which would never be considered now) and City Ground,Nottingham used. 

So many stadia built since then and many of them like Derby and Bolton too small to be considered now. Southampton perhaps too close to London to be considered.

Edited by VillaChris

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was bits in the paper about this.

Apparently it will be 12 venues selected as they expect it to be 32 teams by euro 2028. Surely there's no point to qualifying then?

Anyway apparently only two venues from London allowed so will be Wembley and one other, probably Spurs.

Midlands venue is a cert so between us and Leicester. Think Leicester will shortly get their ground up to 40k but can't see any way it gets picked if we've got VP to 50k + by then.

Murrayfield and Hampden probably used, not sure which Old Firm ground.

Windsor Park can only be extended up to 25k so they might ask for special dispensation to use it.

Interesting to look back to euro 96. Only Wembley was used from London and had grounds like Hillsborough (which would never be considered now) and City Ground,Nottingham used. 

So many stadia built since then and many of them like Derby and Bolton too small to be considered now. Southampton perhaps too close to London to be considered.

If that was the case, my guess at the venues would be;

Windsor Park. Maybe Casement Park instead depending on whether it's suitable/the GAA allow it.

Aviva Stadium, Croke Park.

Millenium Stadium

Hampden Park, Murrayfield.

Wembley, Tottenham, Old Trafford, St James', Anfield and Villa Park. Etihad possibly instead of Anfield or VP depending on how much they want to spread it out.

3 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

If that was the case, my guess at the venues would be;

Windsor Park. Maybe Casement Park instead depending on whether it's suitable/the GAA allow it.

Aviva Stadium, Croke Park.

Millenium Stadium

Hampden Park, Murrayfield.

Wembley, Tottenham, Old Trafford, St James', Anfield and Villa Park. Etihad possibly instead of Anfield or VP depending on how much they want to spread it out.

I think UEFA criteria is minimum 30000 so Windsor Park ruled out and they have no reason to expand. Casement Park I think is still not even considered for a rebuild from the authorities. 

Millennium Stadium is another funny one like Croke Park. Its a great stadium but its more a Rugby arena. Not sure when Wales played there in football the last time 

Â