Euro 2028 UK & Ireland

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Southgate will be boss for as long as he wants, the players especially the attackers are too good for us to have a proper shit tournament or not qualify so he won't be sacked

England fans are also blinkered to performances and focus on results and the stats stuff is getting worse not better, he's currently got a semi final and final under his belt, he'll go down as one of the best England managers ever 

You only have to speak to people who's only exposure is international tournaments to see that the vast majority of people already see him as a great and one of the best ever managers we've had. 

Not looking to the fact that we have a very decent squad with world class attacking talent and have been blessed with easy fixtures along the way. He really should have won one of the tournaments considering how it all lined up. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think England fans dont really care that much unless its a tournament. If Southgate gets to minimum quarter finals he wont be sacked

No club is touching him so he wont be leaving that way 

Yep, there's a general writing off of friendlies and the nations league in England anyway so no matter what happens there no one will care, we will qualify because the groups are set up for us to qualify, kane and recently sterling will keep scoring and we'll dick enough teams 5-0 to paper over any cracks 

The defence just has to keep the goals against us down to 1 and we will win a lot of games with that attacking talent no matter how stifling the tactics are 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Not looking to the fact that we have a very decent squad with world class attacking talent and have been blessed with easy fixtures along the way. He really should have won one of the tournaments considering how it all lined up. 

I'm a big critic of Southgate's management, but tournaments are funny business. There is no shame in losing to Italy in a one off game.

Regardless of the overarching opinion on Southgate, he has done very well on paper. And that's what history books and stats will remember. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Croke Park will be involved somewhere. UEFA were impressed by the facilities previously

Swansea stadium and Windsor Park are too small at the moment for a UEFA event

Swansea were looking at adding another tier to one of their stands recently.  Got as far as sending out tenders to contractors.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So is that 5 qualifying spots already allocated?  A bit unfair.

Its incredibly a 32 team tournament 😂

Russia and Ukraine we dont know what that will be like so only about 15 countries missing out

Edited by Zatman
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its incredibly a 32 team tournament 😂

Russia and Ukraine we dont know what that will be like so only about 15 countries missing out

Jeez, the qualifiers are gonna be pointless.  Faroe Island, San Marino, Malta, Andorra, Cyprus, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Gibraltar.   Cut them and you're pretty much done.  

Scotland get lucky this time, as joint hosts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Jeez, the qualifiers are gonna be pointless.  Faroe Island, San Marino, Malta, Andorra, Cyprus, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Gibraltar.   Cut them and you're pretty much done.  

Scotland get lucky this time, as joint hosts.

UEFA have invited Brazil and Argentina into the next Nations League. I wouldnt put it past them suggesting them for the Euros

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Swansea were looking at adding another tier to one of their stands recently.  Got as far as sending out tenders to contractors.

They don't fill 20,000 at the moment so it would be a waste of construction for about 3 games.

Villa Park should get a couple of group games and maybe a last 16 at a push. I am thinking glamour games like Slovenia V Bulgaria.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They don't fill 20,000 at the moment so it would be a waste of construction for about 3 games.

Villa Park should get a couple of group games and maybe a last 16 at a push. I am thinking glamour games like Slovenia V Bulgaria.

It may have been longer ago than I thought. 

I expect it died a death when they were relegated. 

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Theres 56 nations in UEFA I think, bad maths that's 60% of them

Close, 55, assuming that Russia is still country non grata, 32 qualify and 22 stay at home.

May as well sack off the qualifying farce, add an extra group stage and let everyone play.

Let's see if Vatican City want to have a kickaround this time.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes sure. I remember when Reading had  a few years in the prem they announced they wanted to expand to 38,000. Madness. 

They did sell out all the time when they were in the premier league. The thing is, nobody's five year plan is to go backwards

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

UEFA have invited Brazil and Argentina into the next Nations League. I wouldnt put it past them suggesting them for the Euros

They did what??

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

They did what??

The UEFA Nations League is set to expand to include 10 South American countries -- including Brazil and Argentina -- from the 2024 edition, according to UEFA vice-president Zbigniew Boniek.

In a move which will be seen as in clear opposition to FIFA's planned biennial World Cup, UEFA and CONMEBOL, the South American confederation, signed a renewed and extended Memorandum of Understanding on Wednesday to commit to the "opening of a shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office in London and the potential organisation of a variety of football events."

It has already been confirmed that the first "Finalissima" between the winners of the UEFA European Championship and the Copa America will be held at a stadium in London on June 1, 2022, when Italy take on Argentina.

"This is the last UEFA Nations League in this format," Boniek, formerly head of the Polish FA, said in an interview with Meczyki. "We had a meeting with CONMEBOL, the confederation of South American countries. From 2024, teams from this continent will join the competition.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-nations-league/story/4550365/argentinabrazil-set-to-join-expanded-uefa-nations-league-from-2024

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

😂😂

What made them do that? 

A reluctance to keep allowing FIFA to profit from their teams and guide the direction of the game, when UEFA could be pocketing that cash instead. UEFA hates not being in control, there's been a subtle struggle for power going on for years, this is one step closer to attempting to eliminate FIFA's control of the game.

UEFA has most of the best teams, but they know they can't go it alone without the big south american teams, with CONMEBAL on their side (and they have a joint office these days), I wouldn't be surprised to see a split in the coming years

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

A reluctance to keep allowing FIFA to profit from their teams and guide the direction of the game, when UEFA could be pocketing that cash instead. UEFA hates not being in control, there's been a subtle struggle for power going on for years, this is one step closer to attempting to eliminate FIFA's control of the game.

UEFA has most of the best teams, but they know they can't go it alone without the big south american teams, with CONMEBAL on their side (and they have a joint office these days), I wouldn't be surprised to see a split in the coming years

so barca, madrid and juve are right after all ;)

FIFA flirted with their move and this 4 year cycle club world cup thing and then seemed to have bottled it and gone for the 2 year cycle national team world cup instead which is bizarre

Â