Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

You don't have to have a perfect first 11 to get into the top 10, that's not how it works. We probably have 7 or 8 players that wouldn't look out of place in a top 6 team now, with others like Bailey a potentially top player if we can keep him fit and get him into form.

Of course there are still some 'weaker' areas but in the striker department we are still stronger than pretty much all the midtable teams. Our strikers scored 18 between them last season, compare that to Wolves with Jimenez and Silva (6), Brighton with Maupay and Welbeck (14), Palace with Mateta, Benteke and Edouard (15), Newcastle with Wilson and Wood (10) it's better than all of them.

CM is probably still a bit weak, Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey are all decent but none of them are top class (Ramsey and Luiz might be) and all a bit inconsistent. Again though, compare to other teams we're looking to overtake and Palace and Brighton have both lost key CMs this summer. Wolves still have better no 8 options than us but a lot of that will depend on if they keep Neves, Moutinho doesn't really have the legs any more. Newcastle signing Guimarães has made their midfield much better but the other players he is playing with in that midfield we wouldn't want here.

I think a starting 11 CM and ST, providing they didn't flop, would push us into top 7 category. We're already at top 10 level and finishing 8th, 9th or 10 has to be our aim. 

Wow I love / applaud your optimism. 

I think we have one (Emi) who would get into a Sly 6 team.  I don't think any of our Back 4 get in (Carlos might depending on how he settles), nor any of our midfielders (JJ might next season), our 10s are competing with players like Salah, Son, De Bruyne - who are on a completely different level (Couts has been there before so may be one to watch) and our strikers definitely don't get in ahead of: Kane, Jota, Haaland, Jesus and Lukaku (now of course left).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Bremer has never received a call up either

Carlos has been called up though, in 2020, he just hasn't played.  Maybe the Brazil manager picks favourites like a certain England manager.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't get why people think top 10 is so ridiculously hard to achieve.

In my opinion:

• there aren't 10 teams with better striking options with us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better a better keeper than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better creative options than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better equipped squads than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with a better DM than us 
  • there aren't 10 teams with 2 first team quality players for more positions than us

Let alone all of the above.

Agree completely, think some underplay the depth of our squad when you compare it to sides such as Palace who we're in competition with.

Appreciate how difficult it is due to the quality of the league, but there really should be a lot of pressure on finishing top 10 this season as it is, never mind if we also manage to make space for another quality signing in midfield.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Not sure how correct it is. Not doubt there are also performance bonuses we don't see.

Claims there are 6 managers earning more than Gerrard. With the signings we've made there will be deserved pressure to get results and he is earning (just below) top manager money. But a lot less than the world class ones.

Still think/hope we want to get another player or two in to maximize our chances to get those results, whatever the aim now is.

MANAGER

CLUB

ANNUAL SALARY

Pep Guardiola

Manchester City

£19.5 million 

Jurgen Klopp

Liverpool FC

£15 million 

Frank Lampard

Everton

£5 million

Antonio Conte

Tottenham Hotspur

£13 million

Erik ten Hag

Manchester United

£9 million   

Ralph Hasenhuttl

Southampton

£6 million

David Moyes

West Ham United 

£5 million 

Brendan Rodgers

Leicester city

£5 million

Thomas Tuchel

Chelsea

£7.8 million 

Mikel Arteta

Arsenal

£5 million

Thomas Frank

Brentford

£1.5 million 

Scott Parker

Bournemouth

£5 Million

Bruno Lage

Wolverhampton

£2.5 million 

Patrick Vieira

Crystal Palace

£4 million

Graham Potter

Brighton

£1.7 million

Jesse Marsch

Leeds United

£3.5 million

Eddie Howe

Newcastle

£3 million 

Steve Cooper

Nottingham

£1.5 million

Marco Silva

Fulham

£4.5 million

Steven Gerrard

Aston Villa

£5 million

https://www.footballboast.com/2022/04/all-new-english-premier-league-manager.html

Well actually that says that there are 11 other managers earning the same or more than Gerrard.

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

do they?

Have recently called up 37 year old Miranda into the squad and 33 year old Felipe from Atletico plus Gabriel from Arsenal and some 26 year old who never played abroad

Out of interest. Do you not rate Carlos and think him never playing for Brazil is a concern ?

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think the idea would be to get someone better than McGinn so he isn't a guaranteed starter.

We all have our opinions on McGinn but I think we need to accept that the only opinion that matters is Gerrard's. McGinn wore the captain's armband in the second half against Leeds, and it would be strange for SG to give the captaincy to someone he considered a possible bench sitter.

That indicates he's in the first eleven for the opening game at Bournemouth. SG just said that he's already had to think about his first eleven for that match, to make sure they get enough minutes between now and August 6th.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Out of interest. Do you not rate Carlos and think him never playing for Brazil is a concern ?

I do think its a bit strange he hasnt been called up especially as he was playing Champions League. I think he will suit the English game but maybe Brazil see something technically missing in him

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I do think its a bit strange he hasnt been called up especially as he was playing Champions League. I think he will suit the English game but maybe Brazil see something technically missing in him

He’s been called up once I believe, just never played. Guess Tite doesn’t rate him.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Luis Fellipe is a big up and and comer. Then there is also Naldo.

Luiz Felipe declared for Italy and Naldo is 39 and retired:P 

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

We all have our opinions on McGinn but I think we need to accept that the only opinion that matters is Gerrard's. McGinn wore the captain's armband in the second half against Leeds, and it would be strange for SG to give the captaincy to someone he considered a possible bench sitter.

That indicates he's in the first eleven for the opening game at Bournemouth. SG just said that he's already had to think about his first eleven for that match, to make sure they get enough minutes between now and August 6th.

He probably will start but I wouldn’t look in to the armband thing to much.  I reckon the first half team with one or two exceptions (Carlos for Chambers and Goalie change) is very close to the team that starts the first league game. 

23 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

They have pretty much every time we've played them. 

Yes, they did also have two other midfielders who cost £150m between them.

So do the other teams in top six.  Leicester and West Ham would also probably be looking for about that money to replace two of their midfielders.  Kamara and JJ may potentially be in that bracket in a couple of seasons or they may not.  But McGinn and Luiz will have to consistently do something they haven't done very often in 3 seasons now to prove that they can compete against that level of midfield player if we expect to challenge the Top 8.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s been called up once I believe, just never played. Guess Tite doesn’t rate him.

I think Brazil like Argentina also have a structure that if not really from the domestic football they sometimes ignore you. Took Emi a while to get an Argentina cap and were capping mid 30s River Plate goalkeepers

I think Carlos has never played in Brazil top flight which might go against him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Luiz Felipe declared for Italy and Naldo is 39 and retired:P 

I didn't know Luiz fellipe declared for Italy, the traitor! Naldo was very much around in previous years keeping Carlos out. Also previously his ball playing was in doubt, although last season or two he has shown considerable improvement in that area.

5 minutes ago, allani said:

So do the other teams in top six.  Leicester and West Ham would also probably be looking for about that money to replace two of their midfielders.  Kamara and JJ may potentially be in that bracket in a couple of seasons or they may not.  But McGinn and Luiz will have to consistently do something they haven't done very often in 3 seasons now to prove that they can compete against that level of midfield player if we expect to challenge the Top 8.

Soucek is 50m at the most. Now Rice is 100m. I expect Bouba to be in a similar class to Rice in a couple seasons. McGinn and Luiz are 40m players with 2 or 3 years left on their contracts. Then JJ is worth at least 30m. We have more depth in CM.

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We’ll hear more on this Wednesday 

Have you come across any  Kephren Thuram to Villa tweets that have Kephren Thuram , Lilian Thuram , Nice and Of course Villa tagged?

Ahem Ahem

Edited by Sulberto21

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think you should start Kephren Thuram to Villa tweets whilst tagging Kephren Thuram , Lilian Thuram , Nice and Of course Villa. 

I think VT as a collective, could manage to manufacture this with ease… some one tweets it and the rest back it up, liking it, commenting, at tagging people, retweeting, reaggregating it. All the fun Twitter stuff and do the same on the other socials 

Then the barrel scrapers like Brum mail and football insider would pick it up and then BBC will via their gossip page, and then others will go with it, maybe talksport and then sky.

but tbh, as funny as that would be, it’s effort we can’t be arsed with.