Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As he was mentioned on here, it seems West Ham will bid 40million for Scamacca as PSG pulled out of the transfer 

Hard to know what way that one will go.  Serie A isn't the standard of the PL, he'll either be amazing or terrible.   

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Hard to know what way that one will go.  Serie A isn't the standard of the PL, he'll either be amazing or terrible.   

Haller was garbage there

he's gone to dortmund this summer as Haalands replacement 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Or do OK :)

Hopefully he'd be a new Ogbonna or Zaza rather than a Di Canio.

West Ham sure seem to like their Italian strikers.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He has the tools but is still young and really this was his breakout season. Going to a manager like Moyes might play to his targetman strengths but maybe not in the goals department

Just now, sne said:

Or do OK :)

Hopefully he'd be a new Ogbonna or Zaza rather than a Di Canio.

West Ham sure seem to like their Italian strikers.

A team like West Ham will need more than okay after spending £40m on him.

5 minutes ago, grobs said:

Alex crook reckons we are scouring the market for a new striker 

Isnt he a Talksport bluffer. Has been saying for weeks that Raphinha was off to Arsenal/Chelsea

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We really need that top class central midfielder that a lot of the teams around us have. A Rice, Tielemans, Neves.

If we get it right and we bring in a player on the level of say a Digne, Coutinho, Martinez, I’ll concede and say we can perhaps push for Europe (still think we’re perhaps a little short). 

Kamara is going to help, I’m confident of that, but we sometimes forget he’s a young lad coming to a new division where he’ll find it a lot harder. Sanson was touted as being a CL level player when we signed him but he can’t get a game here.

Im really excited to see who we’re targeting. I think the lack of links and speculation make me think we’re really trying to get it right and wait it out for the exact player we want. 

Honestly, it's Kamara.  Agreed with the time to settle etc, but he's a genuinely exciting signing.

If signing one of the top midfield prospects in Europe does not count as a "top class central midfielder", then we really have no hope with our expectations tbh.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He could be good, but will need time. Getting used to the lack of time on the ball is what troubles players from Italy most. Vialli and Ravanelli, needed time to adjust. Veron and Shevchenko never made the adjustment. It's the intelligent, quick thinking, technical players that seem to do better from Italy. 

Edited by Philosopher

Just now, bobzy said:

Honestly, it's Kamara.  Agreed with the time to settle etc, but he's a genuinely exciting signing.

If signing one of the top midfield prospects in Europe does not count as a "top class central midfielder", then we really have no hope with our expectations tbh.

This is what I'm hoping. He is pretty much the only DM signing we could have signed that has this potential. It will probably take 20 games for him settle though. Once he does though our midfield will be a different animal. 

Well that's if all goes well!

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The entire midfield last season wasn't good enough for what SG wants them to do, and needs a major overhaul.  Kamara is a great signing, but if he get's injured or suspended we are back to the same midfield from last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah all the positivity is great but as you say we are a fair way off a European place challenge.  

A great start to the window in transfers with Kamara coming into midfield.  Carlos gives us additional great competition in defence but aside from that, so far, we are the same team as the end of last season that lacked quality in a number of areas and lacked both physical and mental strength.  

Gerrard can work on the other problems of cohesion, style and fitness but all in all, at the moment, it’ll be a good season of pushing for that top 10 position.

I agree we should and can do a bit more this summer in terms of recruitment, however our youngsters are another year more developed, we'll have the chance to drill our squad with a proper preseason (which I guess you touched on with cohesion but its a major bonus) and there's more options in terms of back up. Augustinsson coming of instead of Young at left back is an improvement for instance, having Bailey and Traore fit, a proper CDM, genuine competition at centre half and centre midfield (if Luiz, Chuk and Sanson stay as I hope) and so on.

I still think we're after a couple of significant signings which will round off the squad nicely. Another CM and a forward. But yes, as things stand, its very encouraging but enough to challenge the top 7? Maybe, with some luck. But nothing like a given. If we signed Laimer or Sangare and a top striker, I'd feel like we were looking set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The entire midfield last season wasn't good enough for what SG wants them to do, and needs a major overhaul.  Kamara is a great signing, but if he get's injured or suspended we are back to the same midfield from last season.

I disagree - the midfield was absolutely fine and Ramsey will be even better this time round, with a season under his belt.  The main issue we had (IMO), was that the defensive midfield role was either too soft (Luiz) or not technically good enough (Nakamba) and allowed opposition teams to get at our defence too easily.  Kamara will be the player to make us more solid there - although, as I say, he'll need time to settle in.

McGinn and Ramsey are a great mix of creative output and combative in chasing the ball.  I imagine we may look for another Kamara-esque player in case we want to play a "double pivot", but I don't think we have a problem with the rest of the midfield now that the defensive issue is hopefully sorted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I agree and I think the same with the strikers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I disagree - the midfield was absolutely fine and Ramsey will be even better this time round, with a season under his belt.  The main issue we had (IMO), was that the defensive midfield role was either too soft (Luiz) or not technically good enough (Nakamba) and allowed opposition teams to get at our defence too easily.  Kamara will be the player to make us more solid there - although, as I say, he'll need time to settle in.

McGinn and Ramsey are a great mix of creative output and combative in chasing the ball.  I imagine we may look for another Kamara-esque player in case we want to play a "double pivot", but I don't think we have a problem with the rest of the midfield now that the defensive issue is hopefully sorted.

It really wasn't.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It really wasn't.

No I have to agree, it wasn't balanced at all. We couldn't stem the flow of attacks, retain the ball with enough quality and knit it all together often enough.

McGinn isnt mobile enough, Luiz isnt a natural 6 and Ramsey is a natural attacking mid, but is still learning his art in terms of positioning and reading a game.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

No I have to agree, it wasn't balanced at all. We couldn't stem the flow of attacks, retain the ball with enough quality and knit it all together often enough.

Yeah it was a mess and as much as I really rate Kamara I don't see him being enough to fix it. Part of the issue was obviously tactical so that's on the coaching staff as well as the players.

• Like 2

I think the midfield problem was a bit over blown, we had no structure for the front 3 for 90 percent of the season which left the midfield exposed. We mixed formations too much to get a flow plus Coutinho isnt a great presser

The centre midfielders covering full backs also made it look worse than it was. I think was a clip from a game and was Luiz alone in midfield with 3 players as McGInn and Ramsey had to go cover wide

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

spacer.png

It was diabolical. McGinn spent half the game blowing out of his ass!  

• Like 2