Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

We spent £8.75 million on a player who worked his tail off for four seasons, pressed relentlessly, scored 10 goals, including a couple of massive ones, and you're saying he's a shit footballer we massively overpaid for? What in the world are you on about?

He is the Egyptian Brett Holman.  A headless chicken who didn't belong in the Prem.  We paid less for El Ghazi and he contributed far more to Villa during the same time period than Trez ever did.  

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

First part was spot on i agree a clinical highly rated player on the up and ready to go … yes bring archer to the squad but i would not be content with watkins and Ings as the only other two forwards and no we have a timo werner style player in watkins so we dont need another 

I don't claim to be too in the know on world football players but I can't think of one 40m striker that I think would be a significant improvement on what we have. I don't want to see us waste 35m on another average player. I would prefer to stick with Archer in the hope he turns into a worldie with a run of games

Just now, KMitch said:

He is the Egyptian Brett Holman.  A headless chicken who didn't belong in the Prem.  We paid less for El Ghazi and he contributed far more to Villa during the same time period than Trez ever did.  

And? What does Anwar El Ghazi have to do with Trezeguet? £8.75 million for a player is nothing. If you didn't like him, fine, but to call him a waste while pretending anybody thought he would be Mo Salah is idiotic.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Trez scored some critical goals - that is worth more than what we paid. Helped us stay in the league as much as others. For all his flaws, the deal was proof that we got what we paid for and now we are on to bigger and better things.

This is a fair point and he’ll always have my best wishes for that. He also played a solid role in our flying start to the season last year. 

Wish him all the best. I’d be staggered if we got paid anything given he’ll be on PL wages and going to a league in financial dire straits. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Oh totally, I didn't mean to knock AEG either. Both scored some critical goals, both have fatal flaws as players. I wish them both well and thank them for getting us back up and helping to keep us there. To me, they've more than earned their keep and respective low-risk fees.

Totally agree

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't claim to be too in the know on world football players but I can't think of one 40m striker that I think would be a significant improvement on what we have. I don't want to see us waste 35m on another average player. I would prefer to stick with Archer in the hope he turns into a worldie with a run of games

🫣 concerns me if others share the same view of we have a tremendous frontline and nobody can be replaced.. it needs to be added to with that £40 million plus striker but that doesn’t mean archer doesn’t get his chance by no means … he will still be involved but we have to get rid of ings first 

how many games would we go in with glowing confidence with knowing its watkins and ings … not playing them down but theyre not exactly players you look at every week and think they could run riot today

Edited by RicRic

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

🫣 concerns me if others share the same view of we have a tremendous frontline and nobody can be replaced.. it needs to be added to with that £40 million plus striker but that doesn’t mean archer doesn’t get his chance by no means … he will still be involved but we have to get rid of ings first 

concerns me if others share the same view of "we have a tremendous frontline and nobody can be replaced."

Where did I express that view?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I’m here as well. Ollies been very frustrating this year but I’m happy to give him another season. And Ings finishing at times was questionable but he offers a lot on the ball. I don’t think up tops a priority

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m here as well. Ollies been very frustrating this year but I’m happy to give him another season. And Ings finishing at times was questionable but he offers a lot on the ball. I don’t think up tops a priority

I would happily sell them and try someone else, but for the 40m budget, there is not a single striker I think of that would be better. I am ruling out Mane and Ronaldo even though they are in that transfer fee budget. To move forward we need to move to the next level of striker. It is naive thinking that adding more of the same quality will move us forward

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I highly doubt there’s a striker available to us that is clearly better than Ings and Watkins, never mind two. It was a frustrating season for both, but I have come to believe it’s the one area of the pitch, maybe centre half now too, where Gerrard should be grateful for such fantastic options relative to the competition.

Agree. Our third striker can be Archer or even Davis. Strikers are the most expensive position to buy. We have two good premier league forwards. We have other areas that are more important to strengthen.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

concerns me if others share the same view of "we have a tremendous frontline and nobody can be replaced."

Where did I express that view?

You said u dont think a striker of 40M plus would better what we have ?? 

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree. Our third striker can be Archer or even Davis. Strikers are the most expensive position to buy. We have two good premier league forwards. We have other areas that are more important to strengthen.

Not davis archer yes 👍🏽 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Not only that but I think it’s probably a bit fanciful to expect the board to be willing to go out and burn another £50m on a striker when the current pair cost the best part of £60m plus a **** of wages between them and are both proven Premier League goal scorers.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3