Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

7 minutes ago, Chine said:

Does anyone have any genuine knowledge regarding us and Phillips ? I just can’t see it happening , he’s billy big bollocks with England he ain’t coming here ! Hope I’m wrong btw 

Hopefully there is some truth to it.  I can't see Southgate being too happy with it, he usually likes his players moving away from Villa not too Villa.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its his injury record that worries me and his wages. He has missed about 150 games for Liverpool through injury since he signed 

As for increase in experience he would from our current 4 centre backs only have played more Premier League games than Hause come the end of this season 

I can't imagine his wages are crazy high given he signed his contact back in 2018 when he was 20. Ben Mee breaking your leg is not an injury problem. Broken bones come from bad contact and are not muscles or ligaments. People citing injury record is the laziest critique of a player. Ming's has been a crock for us, he's spent too much time on the injury table because of his injury record prior to joining us. 

What I worry about is players who keep getting hamstring injuries, or Grealish with his recurring shin problems. Not accidental injuries like an ACL or broken bones which are down to contact and bad luck.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I can't imagine his wages are crazy high given he signed his contact back in 2018 when he was 20. Ben Mee breaking your leg is not an injury problem. Broken bones come from bad contact and are not muscles or ligaments. People citing injury record is the laziest critique of a player. Ming's has been a crock for us, he's spent too much time on the injury table because of his injury record prior to joining us. 

What I worry about is players who keep getting hamstring injuries, or Grealish with his recurring shin problems. Not accidental injuries like an ACL or broken bones which are down to contact and bad luck.

Use Wes as an example then, do you think he'll ever be back to the level that we thought he was or that he'll just drop down through the leagues 

Or look that he's fighting to be Liverpools 4th choice CB and they're looking to cash in on him because they'll put Williams ahead of him next year 

His ship has sailed Mee broke him, he'd be no better than Chambers or Haus but he'd set us back north of £15m if not £20m, there won't be a bargain to be had here 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Use Wes as an example then, do you think he'll ever be back to the level that we thought he was or that he'll just drop down through the leagues 

Or look that he's fighting to be Liverpools 4th choice CB and they're looking to cash in on him because they'll put Williams ahead of him next year 

His ship has sailed Mee broke him, he'd be no better than Chambers or Haus but he'd set us back north of £15m if not £20m, there won't be a bargain to be had here 

Why should we use Wes as an example and not Ming's? Wes had what was described as one of the worst knee injuries there is all his ligaments were snapped. Gomez has played at top level since he had his knee injury and we know leg breaks heal fine so no worry on that front for him. He just can't get game time due to the quality of the players ahead of him in the team.

Chambers got no game time this season for Arsenal yet he's proven himself a good signing in his appearances so far and he cost us nothing. Coutinho couldn't get a game a Barca yet he's been great for us. 

Abumayang has hit ground running at Barca. Tammy Abraham couldn't get into the Chelsea team and now he's firing at Roma. The list is literally endless. 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why should we use Wes as an example and not Ming's? Wes had what was described as one of the worst knee injuries there is all his ligaments were snapped. Gomez has played at top level since he had his knee injury and we know leg breaks heal fine so no worry on that front for him. He just can't get game time due to the quality of the players ahead of him in the team.

Chambers got no game time this season for Arsenal yet he's proven himself a good signing in his appearances so far and he cost us nothing. Coutinho couldn't get a game a Barca yet he's been great for us. 

Abumayang has hit ground running at Barca. Tammy Abraham couldn't get into the Chelsea team and now he's firing at Roma. The list is literally endless. 

He has missed 39 games with a different injury than the one from the Ben Mee tackle, he had patella issues. He has also torn cruciate and has had surgery twice on his ankle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I just don't see it, I think gomez is near finished and will do well to be first choice at any PL club and Liverpool have a history of getting a lot of money for their reserve players

At the moment our 2 back up CBs cost a total of £2.5m, a fully fit and firing gomez is arguably no better than mings or konsa so he's not a guaranteed starter 

I'd be really disappointed with him, at the moment I think it's a lazy Liverpool link in the media, if it happened I'd think its a lazy Liverpool transfer from Gerrard, our scouts have to find better 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

You think we could get Gomez for 15m? I guess Liverpool will be looking for at least 25m.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

You think we could get Gomez for 15m? I guess Liverpool will be looking for at least 25m.

yeah i agree, £15m would be cheap, like i said in the other post liverpool seem to have this way of squeezing out incredible value for their reserve players, there's no deal to be done here just because they dont want him

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I just don't see it, I think gomez is near finished and will do well to be first choice at any PL club and Liverpool have a history of getting a lot of money for their reserve players

At the moment our 2 back up CBs cost a total of £2.5m, a fully fit and firing gomez is arguably no better than mings or konsa so he's not a guaranteed starter 

I'd be really disappointed with him, at the moment I think it's a lazy Liverpool link in the media, if it happened I'd think its a lazy Liverpool transfer from Gerrard, our scouts have to find better 

We can argue that overall Konsa could be better when we look a defensive performance but there is no discussion to be had when it comes to ball players ability. Gomez is on a different level of to Konsa or any of our CBs

Not 100% certain we are even after a CB anymore unless Hause is sold. We have 4 and since Chambers has done well we might focus on other areas.

Certainly would not class Gomez as elite in any way shape or form. He was a big talent who had his career ruined by injuries. Who knows what his status is these days.

Was some vague links to Pau Torres last year. Obvious pipe dream but that would be some signing.

• Like 2

To be honest, I think a centre half is way down on the list of areas that we can improve on. 

I’d prioritise:

Two new central midfielders
A new Striker
A back up left back
A new winger (if we want to play a different system)

before I touched the back 5. 

You could even arguably replace all three central midfielders before a new centre half is brought in.

Our defence isn’t the problem. I don’t think it has been for the past two seasons tbh. Our problem lies in the middle of the park as we can’t control possession, nor can we protect the back 4 when opposition teams are in transition. 

Two new central midfielders is an absolute must in the Summer and depending on who you move on, Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey should be fighting for that third spot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

To be honest, I think a centre half is way down on the list of areas that we can improve on. 

I’d prioritise:

Two new central midfielders
A new Striker
A back up left back
A new winger (if we want to play a different system)

before I touched the back 5. 

You could even arguably replace all three central midfielders before a new centre half is brought in.

Our defence isn’t the problem. I don’t think it has been for the past two seasons tbh. Our problem lies in the middle of the park as we can’t control possession, nor can we protect the back 4 when opposition teams are in transition. 

Two new central midfielders is an absolute must in the Summer and depending on who you move on, Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey should be fighting for that third spot. 

We want to play out from the back and we don't have a ball playing centre back. You have another winger in your list when we don't even play with wingers.

I do give up with this discussion. I would have expected more of the posters on this forum to see what Gerrard wants to do, think what players we have and how they got into that. Then suggest players we could sign who fit the system. 

Did nobody even watch the Arsenal game? Watch how we failed to play out from the back and break their press. 

Let's just get two big CFs and play long balls. Gerrard should stop trying to improve how we play. Get Big Sam in

Edited by CVByrne

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We want to play out from the back and we don't have a ball playing centre back. You have another winger in your list when we don't even play with wingers.

I do give up with this discussion. I would have expected more of the posters on this forum to see what Gerrard wants to do, think what players we have and how they got into that. Then suggest players we could sign who fit the system. 

Did nobody even watch the Arsenal game? Watch how we failed to play out from the back and break their press. 

Let's just get two big CFs and play long balls. Gerrard should stop trying to improve how we play. Get Big Sam in

Overreaction much?
You can quite clearly see the caveat to signing another wide player being a change to the system. 

My point stands, I don't think a CB is a priority (Gerrard might see it different of course). Our problems lie in midfield and our strikers ability to control the football. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

If you are serious (not sure) Big Sam would certainly get us more organised and a bit of route one is not a bad thing. Get the balls down the wing and over to the big bloke at the back stick. Fashionable, hell no but cutting out the midfield at the moment would help.