Formula One - 2022

BOF

Yeah absolute clownshow from Alpine. What are they doing.... my Mick Schumacher to Alpine suggestion doesn't look so dumb after this 

The wording of the Tweet is 

11 hours ago, Farlz said:

Oh this is going to be good

the wording of the tweet is the thing. Not even i haven't signed yet, a definitive "I Will Not be driving for Alpine."

Must have agreed with Mclaren, I think Ric might be out the door entirely, which will be such a shame for a man once talked about as being a dead cert Championship winner

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crumpet said:

I think Ric might be out the door entirely, which will be such a shame for a man once talked about as being a dead cert Championship winner

Feel bad for Ric but in a way I'm glad. I think it's been clear for a while that he's not as good as people think he is, or as he thinks he is. 

Ricciardo matched the pace of Verstappen for multiple seasons, he's not slow his driving style is just very limited.

VER, HAM, ALO would be quick in a shopping cart with an engine strapped on, some drivers can match their pace but only in perfect conditions. Vettel I think was one, in the perfectly balanced RB he was as quick as anyone would've been in it but he's not able to drag a bad car forward in other seasons. Raikkonen was similarly reliant on lots of front end grip. Similar for RIC too.

Driver 61 has a video I think gives good plausible theories on his issues.

3 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Ricciardo matched the pace of Verstappen for multiple seasons, he's not slow his driving style is just very limited.

VER, HAM, ALO would be quick in a shopping cart with an engine strapped on, some drivers can match their pace but only in perfect conditions. Vettel I think was one, in the perfectly balanced RB he was as quick as anyone would've been in it but he's not able to drag a bad car forward in other seasons. Raikkonen was similarly reliant on lots of front end grip. Similar for RIC too.

Driver 61 has a video I think gives good plausible theories on his issues.

He matched verstappen’s pace when verstappen was relatively new to the sport and was still learning. He’s absolutely Mike’s behind Verstappen now. 

He’s comfortably behind Lando let alone Max. If his driving style is limiting him then that’s not really a defence. It just shows he’s not as good a driver as people thought he was

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He matched verstappen’s pace when verstappen was relatively new to the sport and was still learning. He’s absolutely Mike’s behind Verstappen now. 

He’s comfortably behind Lando let alone Max. If his driving style is limiting him then that’s not really a defence. It just shows he’s not as good a driver as people thought he was

He matched Verstappen until he left in 2018, by which point Verstappen had done over 80 grands prix. But my point is not that he's as good as VER or even Norris, because he's clearly not. My point is that he was as quick as Verstappen in a car that suited him.

He's still capable of being quick, he's just not in the elite echelon of drivers that are quick in anything.

I agree his driving style being too limited is not a defence but I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to add more to the discussion than he is either quick or slow.

I agree he's not as good as he thinks he is, with the caveat that he might have the potential to be as quick as he thinks he is but he is not as versatile as he thinks he is. 

• Like 3

I wonder if Peter Windsor is right in his video when he says Lando is the kind of driver who needs a fast driver alongside him in order to get to the next level, where other top drivers absolutely don't want fast drivers as teammates. I suspect he's right. The thing about Piastri that I got from watching him in F2 and F3 was that his pace wasn't actually blistering. He was definitely very fast but he was metronome consistent and was always there when the others slipped up. Picking up points even during poor weekends. He was probably the 3rd fastest driver the season he won F3, and again in F2 his laps didn't stand out. But he gave no-one anything for free, and that wins championships. I think he'll do very well in F1. In his defence wrt not being the fastest while winning championships, it's important to point out he was a rookie in each of those seasons so he was very entitled to be learning on the fly in the series and it's not a criticism that he wasn't the fastest driver. Quite the opposite. I think with more than a season in a series he will come very much up to speed. He already has the consistency as part of his DNA. He'll be a top driver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Williams announcing something at 3pm.

Danny Ric to Williams? 

Fingers crossed they're announcing Piastri. Just for teh lulz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1