Formula One - 2022

BOF

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've heard Mercedes problem is down to the ride height. On the straights due to a suspension/aero issue there was a lot of vibration (some may have seen this in practice laps), so they had to higher the car, which in turn compromises downforce. I guess this is why they could not get the speed or lap times. Lets hope in the next couple of races they get to the bottom of it and Lewis is challenging up front with the big boys.

Wasn't that the same for a few teams though.

I think DTS is great. To be honest I wasn’t really interested in F1 until I saw season 3. Obviously I have been aware of the main goings on within the F1 world, who the better drivers are etc, but I’ve never followed it properly. 

With DTS, I like watching what happens behind the scenes, probably more so than some of the racing. However seeing DTS season 4 has got me quite excited about the racing for this season. I was out on Sunday and I was eager to get back so I could watch some of the Grand Prix - which is a new feeling for me! 

I do agree that drivers should have a choice on whether they appear in the show or not. You’d think that some of the younger upcoming drivers would be more willing to do so - such as the episodes focusing on Russel and Tsunoda in season 4. But the show should primarily focus on the technical aspects, the media battles and team principles. That’s where it is cool, in my view. Hearing from the drivers themselves should be secondary. 

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've heard Mercedes problem is down to the ride height. On the straights due to a suspension/aero issue there was a lot of vibration (some may have seen this in practice laps), so they had to higher the car, which in turn compromises downforce. I guess this is why they could not get the speed or lap times. Lets hope in the next couple of races they get to the bottom of it and Lewis is challenging up front with the big boys.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can only commend the photographer for hanging on to his Nokia 7650 all these years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Child prodigy Juju Noda (16) has been confirmed in the Formula W series this season.  For anyone who hasn't heard of her, she's supposed to be the most talented female driver of her generation and has been competing quite competitively in Danish F4 as a 14 and 15 year old. Having her in FW is quite a coup and will be fun to see how she gets on.  You would think she should be favourite. And is the first 'star' name for that series.

EDIT : Well maybe double champion, Britain's Jamie Chadwick is probably favourite, but yeah you know what I mean :) 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Child prodigy Juju Noda (16) has been confirmed in the Formula W series this season.  For anyone who hasn't heard of her, she's supposed to be the most talented female driver of her generation and has been competing quite competitively in Danish F4 as a 14 and 15 year old. Having her in FW is quite a coup and will be fun to see how she gets on.  You would think she should be favourite. And is the first 'star' name for that series.

Great name that. I've not seen much of the W Series but a competitive female driver at a high level would be fantastic for motorsport.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Great name that. I've not seen much of the W Series but a competitive female driver at a high level would be fantastic for motorsport.

Yeah the racing world has had an eye on her for a while now. She's ahead of many of her male peers at her age in the level she's racing at. She may take a year to find her feet, or she may hit the ground running.  Either way, I really hope she takes this opportunity to show she stands out amongst women drivers, and the series as a whole should benefit from having the closest thing to a high profile racing star that it has had yet. We should bare in mind she will be the youngest driver in the field.

11 hours ago, BOF said:

Yeah the racing world has had an eye on her for a while now. She's ahead of many of her male peers at her age in the level she's racing at. She may take a year to find her feet, or she may hit the ground running.  Either way, I really hope she takes this opportunity to show she stands out amongst women drivers, and the series as a whole should benefit from having the closest thing to a high profile racing star that it has had yet. We should bare in mind she will be the youngest driver in the field.

Would a female drive ever get to race for an F1 team? Wonder what the general thoughts on this is from people who aren’t of an older generation who find it impossible to look beyond what it is at the minute… 

Edited by Tayls

There's absolutely no reason women couldn't compete with men in F1. Much like sports like snooker, it is only historical prejudices that prevent women from taking up male dominated sports or being given the same opportunities to learn from an early age. You'd be amazed how young children are when they start believing certain things, and sports in particular, are for a given gender. That comes from parents, peers and the media in that there are a lack of role models.

But it's like all these things that are just outdated, there are the pace-setters, the pioneers that start a snowball effect. There will be a growing number of women in motorsports. The sadly deceased Sabine Schmitz (Top Gear) was incredible and there were a few drivers in the BTC too.

If you're a lower placed F1 team and a female sponsored driver comes along now, the press focus would be brilliant for their bottom line alone.

Danica Patrick had a pretty successful career the other side of the pond.

Guess the main thing with F1 is that you need someone to pay a lot of money for you to get into a team. A dad, a couple sponsors or as a woman you need to be extremely marketable so the companies sees a benefit.

Since the F1 is held in some of the most repressive backwards countries there might be a further hurdle for women to get a spot. Not sure they are even allowed to drive in some countries.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Danica Patrick had a pretty successful career the other side of the pond.

Guess the main thing with F1 is that you need someone to pay a lot of money for you to get into a team. A dad, a couple sponsors or as a woman you need to be extremely marketable so the companies sees a benefit.

Since the F1 is held in some of the most repressive backwards countries there might be a further hurdle for women to get a spot. Not sure they are even allowed to drive in some countries.

I know that it is purely promotional but this happened in Saudi the other day

• Like 1

When the number of female drivers in grassroots motorsport becomes high enough for actual proper representation I think the main factor holding them back from F1 will be physical strength. Hearing how much Hulkenberg struggled with his neck in Bahrain really highlighted how demanding the sport is. He's driven 100s of races and is 80kg+, if he's struggling (even with two years off) then it will be hard for someone without his physical advantages to cope with.

Definitely not impossible though, I am 100% certain there is a female driver out there today with higher ceiling than what Mazepin showed last season so would be a more worthy holder of that seat.

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

Would a female drive ever get to race for an F1 team? Wonder what the general thoughts on this is from people who aren’t of an older generation who find it impossible to look beyond what it is at the minute… 

As has been said, there have been female drivers before and there will be female drivers again. I think Formula W is an excellent way to give more women the opportunities they wouldn't get in the traditionally male-dominated hierarchy of the usual racing series'. This way they can also eliminate the chaff in the way the men do, and send forward the best candidates to compete at the sharp end.  It does women's racing no good to be sending the likes of Tatiana Calderon on a whistlestop tour of the lower series absolutely stinking the place out with her results and setting the case for female drivers back years. Much better to find a champion and let that person represent instead.  Formula W and hopefully someone like Juju Noda can be that person.  There is no doubt in my mind that if a genuinely viable female racer became available, some Formula One teams would jump at the chance of having her in their teams. The exposure and marketing would be enormous, but they won't just put anyone in there.

11 hours ago, Tayls said:

What makes you think that younger people that are unable to visualise the future would have a particular perspective on this?

A large explosion at an oil refinery not far from the track caused by "an attack" and the media have gone overwhelmingly schtum on it.

Imagine if this were the Italian Grand Prix, or one in the US and there was a large explosion reported as from an attack not far from the track - it'd be massive news.

Here, they've put the cars back on track pronto and seemingly told the journos not to mention it again - the image of the sandy paradise is seemingly impenetrable to truths.

Do these attacks happen a lot?

When are we going to stop pandering to these psychos?

Oh, and the Mercedes look slower than they were at the first race.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A large explosion at an oil refinery not far from the track caused by "an attack" and the media have gone overwhelmingly schtum on it.

Imagine if this were the Italian Grand Prix, or one in the US and there was a large explosion reported as from an attack not far from the track - it'd be massive news.

Here, they've put the cars back on track pronto and seemingly told the journos not to mention it again - the image of the sandy paradise is seemingly impenetrable to truths.

Do these attacks happen a lot?

When are we going to stop pandering to these psychos?

Oh, and the Mercedes look slower than they were at the first race.

Nothing To See Here GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 3

Great bunch of lads.

Lewis Hamilton sent "mindblowing" letter from boy on death row as he slams Saudi Arabia GP

Saudi Arabia have executed 97 people over the last two weeks, and Lewis Hamilton has opened up on the human rights in the country after receiving a letter from a teenager on death row

Lewis Hamilton has called some of the stories he has heard going into the controversial Saudi Arabian Grand Prix as “mind-blowing” and said he had received a letter from a young teenager on death row.

Ahead of the race in Jeddah, Hamilton was asked if he had reservations about taking part in an event in a country which, according to one human rights organisation, has seen 97 people executed over the past fortnight. And the British driver said: “It’s mind-blowing to hear the stories. I’ve heard there has been a letter sent to me from a 14-year-old who is on death row.

“When you are 14, you still don’t know what the hell you are doing in life.” And Hamilton, 37, has promised to carry on trying to make a difference to society wherever he goes to race. He went on: “We don’t decide where we go but I think we are duty-bound to try and do what we can while we are here.

On Friday, human rights’ group, Reprieve, said a further 16 people have been killed since the mass execution of 81 men on March 12. The United Nations’ High Commissioner for Human Rights, claimed more than half of the 81 were killed for taking part in pro-democracy protests.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-saudi-human-rights-26556399

• Like 1