Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let me ask you this to all the ones criticising the people sayibg they dont rate olsen

Why was there never this concern with steer?

because jed steer played 3 PL games for us in 7 seasons

but now when emi, who has missed 4 games in 3 years at villa, breaks his league next week and misses the entire year we're absolutely ****

i don't have a concern because I'm not expecting olsen to play and then even if he did olsen isn't some guy who they found wandering around on the street, hes not a good keeper but the idea that he's the difference between 5th and 14th simply isn't true

the other thing is that i don't see the point in continuously taking this stick to olsen because i also think there's the reality that replacing him is not easy, who wants to be villa's back up keeper to the worlds best keeper who rarely misses games? they're not beating Monchi's door down

• Like 4

I do think the criticism Olsen gets is OTT, but I can’t say he fills me with confidence whenever he plays, and as @Condimentalist alluded to in his post above, it looks to me like it has a knock-on effect on the outfield players, too.

I also question why a keeper who is Sweden’s number one and still young enough to be playing on a weekly basis elsewhere is happy to sit on our bench. That to me reeks of a lack of confidence in his own abilities, and that he’s quite content to pick up his wages knowing he’ll only play the odd game every now and again. Quite a conclusion to jump to, I admit, but that’s just my opinion.

The expectations have gone up a couple of notches since Emery came in. If we really want to challenge for CL places this season and get to some cup finals, we need a dependable back-up goalkeeper.

I’d prefer to go either for a solid keeper in his twilight years or a highly rated youngster, but I appreciate those aren’t easy to find. You’d like to think our young keepers are highly rated, but obviously Emery trusts Olsen over them for some reason.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

because jed steer played 3 PL games for us in 7 seasons

but now when emi, who has missed 4 games in 3 years at villa, breaks his league next week and misses the entire year we're absolutely ****

i don't have a concern because I'm not expecting olsen to play and then even if he did olsen isn't some guy who they found wandering around on the street, hes not a good keeper but the idea that he's the difference between 5th and 14th simply isn't true

the other thing is that i don't see the point in continuously taking this stick to olsen because i also think there's the reality that replacing him is not easy, who wants to be villa's back up keeper to the worlds best keeper who rarely misses games? they're not beating Monchi's door down

I think he is no where near the level of steer oersonally. When steer was playing for us in championahip consistently we had trust for him as he could do the basics right 

Olsen and im not being funny but you can see the difference of how shaky we are when he is in between the sticks. He doesnt comand the box doesnt show leadership like martinez does. Even steer did this.

If martinez picked up a long term injury i think we would concede ALOT of goals so i could see us slipping down the table. 

I personally think he is as bad as nyland

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he is no where near the level of steer oersonally. When steer was playing for us in championahip consistently we had trust for him as he could do the basics right 

Olsen and im not being funny but you can see the difference of how shaky we are when he is in between the sticks. He doesnt comand the box doesnt show leadership like martinez does. Even steer did this.

If martinez picked up a long term injury i think we would concede ALOT of goals so i could see us slipping down the table. 

Robin Olsen - Roma, Villa, Everton

Jed Steer - Villa (Lerner era) Huddersfield and Charlton

Obvious many people in football think Olsen is better

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let me ask you this to all the ones criticising the people sayibg they dont rate olsen

Why was there never this concern with steer?

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was just thinking the same thing

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

People just like being up on their high horse. Pompous BS.

You see the same faces talking balls about a variety of subjects.

It's because you've all forgotten? :D

Steer got regularly lambasted for not being good enough.  We need to bring the younger keepers through etc etc.

It's just recency bias.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Robin Olsen - Roma, Villa, Everton

Jed Steer - Villa (Lerner era) Huddersfield and Charlton

Obvious many people in football think Olsen is better

Steers problems were his injuries. He was a very very good keeper.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's because you've all forgotten? :D

Steer got regularly lambasted for not being good enough.  We need to bring the younger keepers through etc etc.

It's just recency bias.

Thats controversial 

I dont ever recall steer getting criticised as much as olsen has been. He may have git some criticism in some performances but not to this level

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats controversial 

I dont ever recall steer getting criticised as much as olsen has been. He may have git some criticism in some performances but not to this level

Probably not as much, but we're now levels ahead of where we were before.  Steer also saved penalties against West Brom in the playoffs so has a decent amount of goodwill...

...but if you head over to his thread, it's the same conversations (without exactly the same vitriol, I agree).  "Never a PL keeper".  "It's OK, he's just backup".  etc. etc.

Edit:  Also, some crazy names in that thread.  You forget!  Bunn, Moreira, Kalinic, Nyland and Steer were our keeper options at one point 😐  (and Nyland was generally first choice).

Edited by bobzy

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Probably not as much, but we're now levels ahead of where we were before.  Steer also saved penalties against West Brom in the playoffs so has a decent amount of goodwill...

...but if you head over to his thread, it's the same conversations (without exactly the same vitriol, I agree).  "Never a PL keeper".  "It's OK, he's just backup".  etc. etc.

Edit:  Also, some crazy names in that thread.  You forget!  Bunn, Moreira, Kalinic, Nyland and Steer were our keeper options at one point 😐  (and Nyland was generally first choice).

Kallinic is one i would have liked to have seen more. I think he okayed one or two games for us. 

Id be suprised of he was worse than nyland or olsen!

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did Steer even play much in the Premier League? Only really remember the game against Chelsea when he conceded 3.

He played in some of the most important games in our history thats as good as PL in my eyes dealing with that pressure 

• Like 1

Thank god we're being linked to a new keeper.

Olsen is garbage and shouldn't play another competitive game for us. 

There really isn't much else to say. He's had opportunities and he's failed spectacularly in most of them. Dreadful keeper. 

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did Steer even play much in the Premier League? Only really remember the game against Chelsea when he conceded 3.

He played a game under Sherwood I think and I think when Heaton got injured then he got injured

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Steers problems were his injuries. He was a very very good keeper.

He really wasnt, he also had one injury with us until we got promoted

Mark Bunn was ahead of him in the pecking order

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Olsen would be a #1 keeper for many Championship teams, and I predict would look a lot more comfortable than Steer at that level.

You mentioned before that it should be easy to replace Olsen, but what top keeper would want to play understudy to Emi Martinez?

I genuinely think that people think anyone coming in to replace Olsen would be able to adapt to Unai's way of playing, and have only a few minor flaws in their game. If that's the case, why wouldn't they want to be a number 1 somewhere instead of coming here?

The coaches must feel they're better off investing their time into Olsen, helping him improve whilst knowing that he's not going to disrupt the harmony in the camp when he not playing. Unlike anywhere else, this is not a position where someone can realistically challenge Emi to be first pick.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

All this criticism of Olsen is far too premature. The guy should play alot more this season which should help his confidence and think he'll get better. Needs a fair crack imo.

Honestly, I don't think NSWE are the kind of owners who will want to help their second choice GK's confidence by giving him minutes. They strike me more as the kind of guys who are spending sh*t loads of money to achieve success and win trophies. They won't be able to realise the latter if Olsen plays a game for us this season. 

I don't care what Emery said in the press. We'll be bringing in another keeper for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Olsen would be a #1 keeper for many Championship teams, and I predict would look a lot more comfortable than Steer at that level.

You mentioned before that it should be easy to replace Olsen, but what top keeper would want to play understudy to Emi Martinez?

I genuinely think that people think anyone coming in to replace Olsen would be able to adapt to Unai's way of playing, and have only a few minor flaws in their game. If that's the case, why wouldn't they want to be a number 1 somewhere instead of coming here?

The coaches must feel they're better off investing their time into Olsen, helping him improve whilst knowing that he's not going to disrupt the harmony in the camp when he not playing. Unlike anywhere else, this is not a position where someone can realistically challenge Emi to be first pick.

I agree with a lot in this post, especially how hard it will be to find somebody to play second fiddle to Martinez (Not sure about the part where you mention Olsen being a good Championship keeper).

However, we need to be pragmatic here. The club must understand that Olsen will cost us points/cups if he plays therefore it's unfortunately a must fix situation. And we will fix it. 

Â