Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

Could we not find someone from the Championship or the continent who’d be a fresh start? Someone like Dubravka.

We’ve had the likes of Marvo who would be just fine in a CM emergency. We don’t have that for goalkeeper, we have a liability that nobody trusts. Would be great to see someone like Heaton in on a one or two year deal.

It’s hard to find someone to be the backup keeper the way we are playing now. If our strategy was the typical out to the full back or go long he might be okay. We are asking for the pressure and Emi seems to love it. 2nd half last night you saw us almost completely change how we played out of the back. Where the center or full back might have slid it back to Emi to start again we started to get surrounded by 3 Newcastle players as we tried to eek it up the side already under pressure.

With Europe and Cup games that the number 2 is going to see some action regardless of Emi’s fitness.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He played one terrible pass out from the box and maybe could have done better with the parry for the goal, didn’t look as bad as some are making out though 

To me, the problem is not just his ability, it is that the team do not play with the confidence that they have when Martinez is playing.

• Like 3

Doss anyone think we would have lost if martinez was in goal vs stevange?

Im 100% convinced if emi was in goal we wouldn't have lost that.

Olsen cannot be trusted period.

Needs to be demoted to 3rd choice. Imagkne doing all the hard work getting to conference league final and we have olsen in goal. We would lose

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Callum said:

Honestly lads, I don't think he was half as bad as some of you are making out. I've just watched the second half and the goal was not his fault. Even Tim Howard commentating says he did everything right and was never gonna hold a shot of that power. 

Distribution - Far better than his usual missiles into the crowd. Was comfortable playing from the back. 

Clearly needs game time, like a few of the others. There's a decent keeper in there... Somewhere. 

That you Robin? 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Doss anyone think we would have lost if martinez was in goal vs stevange?

Im 100% convinced if emi was in goal we wouldn't have lost that.

Olsen cannot be trusted period.

Needs to be demoted to 3rd choice. Imagkne doing all the hard work getting to conference league final and we have olsen in goal. We would lose

Yep, Same for Man Utd away in the league cup! 

Blokes a liability, palmed the ball straight to Wilson for his goal then 5 minutes later passes directly to a Newcastle player on edge of 18 yard box.

We cannot go into next year with this guys as a number 2.

It would be so, so Villa for the following to happen:

Get rich and great owners

Get a world-class manager and coaching staff

Get a deep squad with quality internationals and exciting youngsters

Be in competition for three and arguably four competitions going into the new season....

and then keep faith with a crappy backup keeper for no discernible reason who then costs us cup games and valuable league points when our world-class number 1 gets injured or suspended.

To be fair I think it's the hardest position to get a good player. Even the top teams have struggled at times. Liverpool had Adrian costing them matches. Steffen for Man City didn't cover himself in glory in some matches he played. I'd say it's actually quite rare that backup keepers come in and you don't notice a huge drop off in quality.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

Looking on Transfermarkt for GK free transfers:

Samir Handanovic - 39, experienced Slovenian international, played in Serie A

Timo Horn - 30, experienced German international, played for Koln for years

Benoit Costil - 36, experienced French international, extensive Ligue 1 career

And that's just the ones I know (didn't include De Gea)

Â