Lucas Digne

villan-scott

13 hours ago, Rodders said:

Glad he's played well again. Perfectly fair to note it's been against two shite sides, but he couldn't do more than being asked of him right now.

13 hours ago, villa89 said:

Playing against a league one standard team though...

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Because he's played well against the worst PL side I've seen since 2016 Aston Villa and League One level Hibs with Lee Johnson as manager, it doesn't mean Digne is a great PL player all of a sudden.

The first thing Emery did was replace him in the XI. His limitations are known and often seen. It won't be every game he's invited to nothing but ping crosses in - clearly he's good at that.

Understandably, Digne wants to play with the World Cup coming up and he's not going to a huge amount here if Moreno is fit.

No chance Emery agrees to a worse left back coming in for financial reasons. Especially when it's not going to be a sale. If it was a solid fee of £15m or whatever, there's an argument to make. Not a loan we won't benefit much from at all.

Take your pick 👍

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed in a sense.

However, if you watch some of Morenos " Best bits " for us, you will realise how important he is at bamboozling opposition from the left with pace and trickery.

If you need a player to force the issue with a stubborn defence, he is that player.

He also made some crucial last ditch tackles to save us points, which his pace also allows him to do.

Against alot of opposition in the PL, crosses get cut out, ala Digne.

Though if he is as pinpoint as he has been recently it doesn't even matter.

Generally agree. I don't think any issue Emery may have with Digne is his quality, more just the type of player that he is. In terms of his technical ability, delivery, ability to take a set-piece etc he's largely better than Moreno, but Moreno is much faster and is a great dribbler from full back which Digne just can't really do. Moreno just suits the role of the marauding full back that almost plays as a winger at times more than Digne does, the gulf between them is more suitability to the system rather than overall ability.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, macandally said:

Take your pick 👍

Don’t see anything there equivalent to “beating the player up” and it’s fair to point out how weak the opposition was…

Should we just praise the player regardless and overlook or ignore that?

As I said, I’m interested to see if he can carry this form forwards and how he does against tougher or more clued up opposition - he will be praised if he does well.

Only the last comment could be deemed a little “extra”… but it’s still quite fair.

Edited by Jas10

Lucas Digne had a smashing game last night, but going forward is where he is valued.......its going back and defending where the questions are raised, particulalry playing against sound attackers.

This is why it divides opinion,on him, because folk are addressing different issue in his game.

Edited by TRO

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed in a sense.

However, if you watch some of Morenos " Best bits " for us, you will realise how important he is at bamboozling opposition from the left with pace and trickery.

If you need a player to force the issue with a stubborn defence, he is that player.

He also made some crucial last ditch tackles to save us points, which his pace also allows him to do.

Against alot of opposition in the PL, crosses get cut out, ala Digne.

Though if he is as pinpoint as he has been recently it doesn't even matter.

Well said… I think Moreno coming into the side last season really elevated and improved us. He brings so much more than Digne can. What a signing.

He fits into exactly how Unai wants us to play and is such a danger… 

Digne won’t get the freedom and space to operate in when we play against tougher and more intelligent teams… he didn’t do too badly against Newcastle but couldn’t affect the game (as well as the rest of the team 😆)…

I can’t recall seeing this sort of form from his last season either…

I actually think a more defensively sound/adept option at LB would be useful if we want to mix things up… and maybe focus on attacks down the right at times…

But a younger version of and eventual successor to Moreno would be great too…

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, macandally said:

Did you read the previous posts or just mine?  Apparently he can only do it against crap teams like Everton and Hibs “where he has loads of space”

I wrote the previous post, let alone read it.

Where have people said he can only do it against crap teams? I'll wait.

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

"He did well but it was against shit opponents" =/= "He can only do well against shit opponents"

He did well against shit opponents… (well done for that 👏) let’s see if and hope he can do it against stronger ones… keep going Lucas.

Edited by Jas10

25 minutes ago, macandally said:

Take your pick 👍

None of these say he can ONLY do it against shit teams.

People are just saying we can't suddenly assume he's amazing because of a performance against Hibs.

Like I said, I'm a big defender of Digne. I think he's a good player and he gets too much stick.

All I said was looking amazing against Hibs isn't a very good barometer of a player's ability. I'd say the same thing about Watkins. I love Ollie Watkins but I'm not expecting him to score hattricks every week in the prem because he could have got 5 against Hibs

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, people are suggesting others are saying this but no has actually expressed exactly that.

Hope he can continue like this and do it against stronger opposition - what’s wrong with that?

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lucas Digne had a smashing game last night, but going forward is where he is valued.......its going back and defending where the questions are raised, particulalry playing against sound attackers.

This is why it divides opinion,on him, because folk are addressing different issue in his game.

It would be useful to have a stronger defensive option in the squad for that area, as an alternative.

Moreno is working his way back and I’m excited for his return… we are a much better side with him in it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It would be useful to have a stronger defensive option in the squad for that area, as an alternative.

Moreno is working his way back and I’m excited for his return… we are a much better side with him in it.

We are, but even he is more of an attacking full back.

We have to be prepared, that when we play the top teams, we have adequate players who can defend......leaving just 2 centre backs to do it, is not enough.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We have to be prepared, that when we play the top teams, we have adequate players who can defend......leaving just 2 centre backs to do it, is not enough.

Oh I trust Unai to be on top of that… 

we haven’t previously left 2 centre backs to it have we?

I like Pau, Carlos and Konsa at hybrid RB… 

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

The right back tucked in last season and still see it and Bailey or whoever on right dropped deep

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd say the same thing about Watkins. I love Ollie Watkins but I'm not expecting him to score hattricks every week in the prem because he could have got 5 against Hibs

Excellent point.

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

He had Salah in his back pocket all game last season, and was used numerous times against teams that posed and attacking threat. His delivery is excellent but I think his lack o pace and dribbling lets him down offensively at times.

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have already answered this above, so don’t feel the need to do so again

The key differences between Digne and Moreno and why Emery prefers Moreno is as follows.

The left back is a winger and the Right Mid is the other winger. Emery wants pace, dribbling, take ons and cut backs from the touch line back into the box.

Digne does crosses over cut backs, doesn't carry the ball and doesn't have pace. He's excellent at what he does as we've seen recently. It's just under a system coach we need players of certain profiles to plug into the system. 

Acuna for example fits the system better than Digne. Digne would fit a system which requires his skills in crossing. 

• Like 3

Â