Lucas Digne

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

How was ours a pen then? Dunk was in the process of sliding for the ball and McGinn's feet got in the way. Should never have been a penalty for us. 

Completely different scenarios. McGinn was taken out whilst running for the ball and denied the chance to get to it. How was Digne supposed to stop mid strike? Right decision imo. Would like to hear the thoughts of the refs 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The thing is, they sort of are.

McGinn knows that Dunk is sliding in and that he needs to get the ball first before being fouled.  March can see Digne has dallied on clearing the ball and needs to nip in to play the ball in order to be fouled.

Look where the ball is going for McGinn and where the ball ends up for March.  Neither player is getting an opportunity to do anything with the ball - but both have made sure they poke it away before they get clattered.

I don't think so.

March is attacking a loose ball that Digne is clearly in the middle of kicking. He launches himself in front of the leg to get to the ball first. However he was never in control of the ball prior to the contact. McGinn was.

I get the arguments saying that it should have been a pen for Brighton, I do. However they're not exactly the same situation imo.

Edited by osmark86

Just now, a-k said:

Should have been a red to March. Dangerous play diving in like that while Digne is already in motion to clear it, could have broken Digne's leg.

If Digne had been a little faster to the ball this could very well have been the outcome. Then the discussion would be very different than it is now.

Just now, duke313 said:

Even if it was a penalty, who cares?  It's about time some of these things went for us rather than against us. 

The Ref had a shocker yesterday, Luiz was fouled in their first goal so should have been disallowed.  Karma.

Brighton fans do. But honestly we shouldn't give a toss XD

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Completely different scenarios. McGinn was taken out whilst running for the ball and denied the chance to get to it. How was Digne supposed to stop mid strike? Right decision imo. Would like to hear the thoughts of the refs 

21 seconds in.  Not a penalty, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Even if it was a penalty, who cares?  It's about time some of these things went for us rather than against us. 

The Ref had a shocker yesterday, Luiz was fouled in their first goal so should have been disallowed.  Karma.

I agree with this. Mac Allister pushes him completely from behind to send Luiz off balance.

Ref was so shit yesterday.

• Like 2

I was quite surprised that there was such a debate, to be honest. When I saw it in real time, it didn't even occur to me at all that there was an issue. It looked to me like Digne was already in the process of clearing the ball when March came running in. Unfortunate timing, but a purely accidental clash in my eyes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

honestly, that is harsh af on Wolves. No that I mind...

Yeah, I appreciate your view.  For me, they're both fouls.  For you, neither is.

And we wonder why the refs and VAR get so mixed up :D 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I don't think so.

March is attacking a loose ball that Digne is clearly in the middle of kicking. He launches himself in front of the leg to get to the ball first. However he was never in control of the ball prior to the contact. McGinn was.

I get the arguments saying that it should have been a pen for Brighton, I do. However they're not exactly the same situation imo.

The ball also ricocheted into Digne’s leg - March wasn’t in control. There wasn’t any advantage to gain nor was he impeded as he fell off balance trying to win the ball before he’s touched. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

The ball also ricocheted into Digne’s leg - March wasn’t in control. There wasn’t any advantage to gain nor was he impeded as he fell off balance trying to win the ball before he’s touched. 

no I agree with this and think it was the correct call not to give a pen.

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"Imminently about to take out your whole body"  Poor Lucas must have been terrified! :D

Ultimately, I don't think it matters.  If someone gets to the ball before you do and you end up kicking them, then you've fouled them.  It's Digne's fault for taking so long to clear the ball and he should have been punished.

As I said in the match thread, we got a similar penalty against Wolves a few years back where Karl Henry (I think) took his time clearing the ball, Darren Bent nipped in and Henry just booted Bent.  Penalty.  Because he just kicked a player and not the ball.  It shouldn't not be given because Henry (or Digne) were too slow.  That's on them.

I struggle to understand how people think it shouldn't be a penalty.  I'm delighted it wasn't given, but I'd be calling for that every single day of the week if it happened against Villa.

Edit:  I've looked it up and it was Christophe Berra!  Karl Henry was sent off in the same game (again, for kicking a player).

I disagree. I think saying 'If someone gets to the ball before you do and you end up kicking them, then you've fouled them' is a massive oversimplification. I don't remember the Bent incident (Oh it's above—I'll watch it now EDIT: Oh my word they are night and day!! Bent does nip in and takes the ball and then gets fouled—March is flying into Digne full-on, full-frontal and is going to hit Digne's body whatever happens), but 'nipped in' is not what March did—he flew in. He was going to hit Digne's body whether Digne kicked him or not. His tackle was more Ben Mee than 'nipped in' Darren Bent.

Edited by Rolta

Â