Are CDs Dead ?

hippo

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you have it

True. Depends on your priorities, too. When I lived in a tiny flat, I still had a big LP collection (not to mention books). I felt that was a better use of the limited space than (say) a big sofa and TV, bicycles, gym equipment, or whatever it is than non-music nerds accumulate. 

As I said upthread, I could never be a mimimalist, I would find it depressing. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

True. Depends on your priorities, too. When I lived in a tiny flat, I still had a big LP collection (not to mention books). I felt that was a better use of the limited space than (say) a big sofa and TV, bicycles, gym equipment, or whatever it is than non-music nerds accumulate. 

As I said upthread, I could never be a mimimalist, I would find it depressing. 

Absolutely. When i was in a flat i had dvds everywhere. It made room smaller. Then prime came so i just sold a load on ebay and cex.

I do have some of my favourites still that i kept for a rainy day though 

Is this your house mj 😉

20220110_082324.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Quantity-wise, looks about right. Fortunately we have a big enough gaff to spread them out a bit more. 

If only i knew about this a few months ago would have happily sent you all my dvds to add to your collection!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Quantity-wise, looks about right. Fortunately we have a big enough gaff to spread them out a bit more. 

Yep, my 'movie wall' has at least that many DVDs/Blu rays.

I sold the majority of my vinyl (about 500ish) and CD (about 1000) collection years ago and now just have about 50 'essential' CD's displayed next to the player.

Films however, I will collect until the day they stop producing them.

When we moved house we gave all our DVDs to a charity shop. We did however keep around 50 back that we are unlikely to be able to get again or have personal value. They all now live in a box in the eaves of the attic, unlikely ever to be played again. My daughter, who is of the streaming generation regularly buys both Blu-ray and CDs. 

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, my 'movie wall' has at least that many DVDs/Blu rays.

I sold the majority of my vinyl (about 500ish) and CD (about 1000) collection years ago and now just have about 50 'essential' CD's displayed next to the player.

Films however, I will collect until the day they stop producing them.

I've got a fair few DVDs, but I stopped buying them several years ago. Can't remember what the last one was. 

Thing is, with a very few exceptions, I'm not really that into watching films more than once. 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 17:45, hippo said:

As a fan of most things 60s - especially northern soul , R n B. I much prefer to pick up CDs @£3 a pop - than a monthly subscription to Spotify .

When I forked out for a new cd player this week I got a response "have we gone back to 1990" 

I still like CDs !

*It's got usb and BT in case I change my mind !

What decade has this thread been necro'ed from?  

Yes, CD's are still dead. Last used a CD 20 years ago and threw away any standalone CD players 15 year ago.  

My first time in this thread, but to answer the thread title, No but nearly a yesand here's a really boring practical reason why. I drive with Spotify on, I should spend more time creating playlists to make this moot but that aside, sometimes, when the album or playlist you're listening to ends, it's suggested tracks are so terrible, and sometimes when driving obv you cant p-ss about with your phone scrolling and selecting, so...

sometimes, i am just so so glad to just switch media to CD and play that, for something guaranteed I do like. Boring reason, but thats mine. In the home, Spotify all the way and that's a shame really. Modern times though I guess. 

Â