Are CDs Dead ?

hippo

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Vinyl collection is a pretty niche hobby as reflected in that graphic you posted.

It isn't. 5 million new vinyl records were sold last year in the UK (and that will be underestimated as the Indie Sector is never reported accurately). An 8% rise on the previous year and the 14th consecutive year on year rise. Thats just the UK

The vinyl revival has gone way past niche, not only that but it's the driving force in the sector, the vinyl sales and attention push the sales in the other formats

I started buying CDs when they first became popular but I didn't stop buying vinyl.

Probably got 200 CDs, but over 1000 vinyl LPs.

I only buy a CD if I need it for completion (Beach Boys usually) and it's not being released on vinyl.

I think I've purchased one CD in the last 12 months, and that also was because it wasn't on vinyl (West Coast All Stars, Japan only release).

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, I'm dreading buying another car, for that reason. Hope I'll be able to get a CD player retrofitted, as it's an absolutely essential requirement for me. 

As Chris said, just use a USB stick. You can get zillions of tracks on a 64gb.

• Like 1

From the things I found, it looks like it's older music that people are buying on vinyl, not new releases.

More surprisingly, owning vinyl seems to be what's driving the sales rather than listening to vinyl, if that makes sense. Over 40% of the vinyl purchased is never played and 7% of sales is to people who don't even own a turntable - they're just very nice things to have in your house.

If the value in vinyl is in the object rather than the music, I don't think that bodes well for the CD, it's always been seen as the cheaper, tackier cousin of vinyl and if they aren't for listening to, then I don't think Cd's can survive as simply objects of cool.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If the value in vinyl is in the object rather than the music, I don't think that bodes well for the CD, it's always been seen as the cheaper, tackier cousin of vinyl and if they aren't for listening to, then I don't think Cd's can survive as simply objects of cool.

I listed all my LPs and Cds on Discogs. I have some albums worth hundreds of pounds, the majority of my CDs (which cost between ten and 15 quid back in the day) are now worth pennies.

Except for the odd few thrash metal albums (one I own is worth 50- 100 quid) and most promo Cds of Beach Boys/Brian Wilson/Dennis Wilson which are very collectable and worth a few bob.

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I listed all my LPs and Cds on Discogs. I have some albums worth hundreds of pounds, the majority of my CDs (which cost between ten and 15 quid back in the day) are now worth pennies.

Except for the odd few thrash metal albums (one I own is worth 50- 100 quid) and most promo Cds of Beach Boys/Brian Wilson/Dennis Wilson which are very collectable and worth a few bob.

Yep CDs values are strange, couple of quid or Wow, how much, why? I've got some reggae ones that I'm convinced I bought from Geoff Davies (Probe Plus record label owner) because he had a few of them and was a bit skint and some of those are in the £25-£30 range

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

From the things I found, it looks like it's older music that people are buying on vinyl, not new releases.

More surprisingly, owning vinyl seems to be what's driving the sales rather than listening to vinyl, if that makes sense. Over 40% of the vinyl purchased is never played and 7% of sales is to people who don't even own a turntable - they're just very nice things to have in your house.

The nice thing is, I do know there is currently an element of fashion and trend about it. It’s keeping my favourite shop open.

I know there are people buying hifi that then won’t use it much. God bless those middle aged blokes that think they need a £700 turntable, a £500 amp and £400 speakers and then don’t use it then realise in 5 years time what they really wanted was a fish tank or a big telly. There are also definitely records being bought and not played.

I can wait.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Over 40% of the vinyl purchased is never played and 7% of sales is to people who don't even own a turntable - they're just very nice things to have in your house.

That isn't why they are bought. Some idiots buy them as investments

I'd love to know where they get the 40% never played figure from that just screams plucked out of the air at random, there is really no way of knowing that

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

As Chris said, just use a USB stick. You can get zillions of tracks on a 64gb.

I have done that, but only for niche projects - e.g. some years ago, Dylan did 100 internet radio shows, DJ-ing his favourite records. Very good they were, too. I downloaded the lot and put them on a datastick for the car. But 3000 odd CDs? Nah. Much easier to use Spotify, but that's still more fiddly and prone to glitches than choosing a couple of CDs on a quick trip to the shops. I do have a couple of very long Spotify roadtrip playlists for holidays though.

I just resent having to give up the option of playing CDs in the car. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have done that, but only for niche projects - e.g. some years ago, Dylan did 100 internet radio shows, DJ-ing his favourite records. Very good they were, too. I downloaded the lot and put them on a datastick for the car. But 3000 odd CDs? Nah. Much easier to use Spotify, but that's still more fiddly and prone to glitches than choosing a couple of CDs on a quick trip to the shops. I do have a couple of very long Spotify roadtrip playlists for holidays though.

No I meant throw a few on a USB to play in the car, not the whole bloody lot!

Just now, rjw63 said:

No I meant throw a few on a USB to play in the car, not the whole bloody lot!

What? Which ones? I don't know what I'm going to want to hear until I'm about to go out.  Matching music to my mood is a crucial decision. It might be folk, it might be soul, it might be blues, it might be country, it might be jazz, it might be classical. And the chances are it won't just be a genre, but a very specific album. It could even be influenced by the time of year, the time of day, or the weather. 8.00 am I go out to pick up the grandkids, and choosing the soundtrack is the last thing I do. 

This is important shit! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Our current car, an old Honda Jazz, has what I would consider the optimal in car set-up; a CD player (a robust enough one to offset both the potholiest of Basingstoke roads and the bumpiest of my wife's driving) and an aux-in, so I can just hook the iPod (or any other such device) up to it and away you go.

If only the catalytic converter wasn't so bloody easy to steal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

Our current car, an old Honda Jazz, has what I would consider the optimal in car set-up; a CD player (a robust enough one to offset both the potholiest of Basingstoke roads and the bumpiest of my wife's driving) and an aux-in, so I can just hook the iPod (or any other such device) up to it and away you go.

If only the catalytic converter wasn't so bloody easy to steal.

Even easier in mine. CD + USB port + Bluetooth. I don't want to downgrade to having less choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I'd love to know where they get the 40% never played figure from that just screams plucked out of the air at random, there is really no way of knowing that

753885.gif.a48f32673250d0e5372a7843a867a78a.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Stats from an ICM poll reported in the Guardian and erm...the NME.

I think for younger people they listen to music, like it and then buy the vinyl as a way of owning something that relates to the music, rewarding the artist and making their apartments cool, the actual listening is done elsewhere, the physical record is a sort of reward, a sort of romance.

Â