V Sport Investments Ltd - More Villa Clubs around the world?

MotoMkali

So we’ve got arrangements with clubs in Spain, Portugal, potentially Algeria, Japan, Egypt, Senagals largest academy, potentially Sweden as well as the Ivory Coast … exciting pipeline of talent could over the next decade! 

Bournemouth have paid £6m for 25% of Hibs after Scottish FA eased rules to allow PL buy outs.

Whole thing obviously stinks and should be banned...but that would have been a cool club to setup partnership with.

Hearts or Partick could be worth having a chat with.

Or Vale of Leven as they begin with V.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bournemouth have paid £6m for 25% of Hibs after Scottish FA eased rules to allow PL buy outs.

Whole thing obviously stinks and should be banned...but that would have been a cool club to setup partnership with.

Hope they know that they won't both be allowed to play in the CL if they both qualify.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

So the arguably the fifth biggest football club in Scotland is worth less than 25 mil? Wow shows the lack of money up there. Easter Road is comfortably bigger than Bournemouth's potting shed.

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

does this now mean they can sing Sunshine on Leith 

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Livingstone or Inverness would be a decent options for the V connection.  Both likely to bounce around between the bottom of the Scottish Premiership and the Championship so unlikely to have a European cup implication.  Also it would be a great way to find out whether a prospect from warmer climes is likely to be able to do it on a cold Tuesday night in Sunderland - that would seem positively balmy after a winter playing in the highlands! 

• Like 1

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/aston-villa-eye-off-a-league-with-canberra-expansion-proposal-605633

V Sports, owners of Aston Villa, have expressed an interest in partially funding the Canberra expansion franchise due to enter the A-League next season.

In addition to the English giants, V Sports has four other clubs under its global umbrella and is actively seeking a partner in a proposed joint venture down under, ideally a pact with an Australian-based business entity.

Billionaires Nassef Sawiris, from Egypt, and his American partner Wes Edens have owned Villa outright since 2019, with the club’s fortunes, on and off the field, on a significant upswing.

The recent emergence of cashed-up US investment company Atairos - with $US 6.5 billion of equity capital - as a partner has further solidified Villa’s position as one of the Premier League’s most lavishly backed teams.

FTBL understands that V Sports has been working behind the scenes with the Australian Professional Leagues on the project - on the proviso another partner can be found to co-fund the Canberra team due to be unveiled along with Auckland in the 2024-2025 season.

As well as its ownership of Aston Villa, V Sports boasts a 30 per cent stake in Portuguese outfit Vitória and has partnerships with a network of clubs including Real Union from Spain, Egyptian Premier League side ZED FC and defending Japanese J1 League champions Vissel Kobe.

Speaking last month APL commissioner Nick Garcia waxed lyrical over the prospect of Canberra’s entry into what would be a 14-team competition.

"I’m very positive about Canberra right now,” said Garcia. “We’re in advanced discussions with a party for Canberra.

“The thing I think it’s important to understand about Canberra is that they have a women’s team already (Canberra United), it’s not a cold start.

"There’s a women’s team, there’s structure around the club, there’s a brand, a lot of that’s stood up. You’re adding a men’s team. It’s not like Auckland.

“The other thing is because there’s been other bids for an A-League licence out of Canberra. So much work and public support has already been done.

"Government support and stuff as well. We’ve got all that. So they’ll move really fast when they’re in.”

FTBL contacted Garcia for further clarification on Aston Villa’s proposal but received no reply.

Ooh.

13 minutes ago, allani said:

I quite like the fact that there's already a Women's team as well.  It would seem a great opportunity to help develop both our Men's and Women's teams.

They're bottom of their table despite scoring the second most goals in the league (including the team in 1st). Only a Villa-affiliated team could do some wacky stuff like that, they're ready.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

They're bottom of their table despite scoring the second most goals in the league (including the team in 1st). Only a Villa-affiliated team could do some wacky stuff like that, they're ready.

I was just looking at the league table too.  Yes Canberra are bottom (but with one of two matches in hand on the teams above them) - but also the league seems ridiculously competitive.  I think there's something like 6 points between qualifying for the end of season play-offs and being bottom - depending on Canberra picking up some points from their 2 games in hand.  So it's not like they are a huge way off the rest of the teams at all.  I don't know what the actual standard is like but it does seem to point to the idea that there'd be some opportunities to loan players between the two clubs.  The only slight disappointment was that their top scorer (who I think is scoring at more than 1 a game this season) is 35 - so I'm not sure that we could nab her and play her up front with Rachel.

21 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

The Canberra Villans. Unless they want to misspell it again...

The women's team is called Canberra United.  So I imagine that they would adopt that.

On 26/02/2024 at 08:17, thabucks said:

So we’ve got arrangements with clubs in Spain, Portugal, potentially Algeria, Japan, Egypt, Senagals largest academy, potentially Sweden as well as the Ivory Coast … exciting pipeline of talent could over the next decade! 

Does anyone know?

How does our involvement with V Sports compare to what other PL teams are doing? Just interested are we the same as, behind the curve, ahead of the curve etc.

On 29/02/2024 at 22:38, allani said:

The women's team is called Canberra United.  So I imagine that they would adopt that.

Won’t be a problem to change, Melbourne City used to be called Melbourne Hearts. A league loves money coming in and will easily pander to big Premier League clubs.

As much as Canberra loves Canberra United they don’t really care that much about the name as they have had a few different teams and proposals over the years. Harder thing to change would be the green. See you in Green is their main brand slogan and is tied to the Rugby League team colours.

I’m all for it, I have fallen a bit out of following the A League due to tv deal changes. My main team is Sydney FC but my women’s team is Canberra as I used to live there when the W League started off so I adopted them as it was like $10 to watch and only 5km from my house.  Going to be hard to pick allegiance between Canberra and Sydney FC if this deal goes through though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jacksonho said:

Won’t be a problem to change, Melbourne City used to be called Melbourne Hearts. A league loves money coming in and will easily pander to big Premier League clubs.

As much as Canberra loves Canberra United they don’t really care that much about the name as they have had a few different teams and proposals over the years. Harder thing to change would be the green. See you in Green is their main brand slogan and is tied to the Rugby League team colours.

I’m all for it, I have fallen a bit out of following the A League due to tv deal changes. My main team is Sydney FC but my women’s team is Canberra as I used to live there when the W League started off so I adopted them as it was like $10 to watch and only 5km from my house.  Going to be hard to pick allegiance between Canberra and Sydney FC if this deal goes through though.

I quite like the green kit.  I don't think there would be a big drive to change the colours to claret and blue - and I also don't think that the owners are that fussed about branding everything the same unlike say the red Bull group or even (to an extent) the City group.

How to Canberra usually go in the W League?  This season it looks like there's not a great deal of difference between teams in 5th / 6th and the teams in 10th / 11th.  Is that typical?

I like us working with other clubs and exchanging ideas, players and so on. I hate us buying other clubs and especially changing their names or colours like some sort of poor mans City group or Red Bull wannabees. 

• Like 2

Â