Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Wow, I love all the replies thanks

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

That’s a logical way of thinking if you believe all managers are more or less equal. If that’s the case, waiting makes sense and success will come in the end.

But if there are good and bad managers, it makes more sense to try and make sure you get a good one.

Logical way, possibly. Granted there are good and bad managers in all types of business, but if you don't give them a chance how is anyone going to find out? An example often mentioned where a manager is given time is Sir Alex Ferguson, a manager who was potentially a loss away from being sacked to becoming the most successful football manager we'll probably ever see. Now don't jump on me and twist this that i am saying Gerrard will become this, I'm not, my point is I still don't see the original point, but then I guess you can't educate pork no matter what side of the debate they sit.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Can’t believe Gerrard is still here.  

Tuchel sacked for being 6th and 1 point ahead of Liverpool. 

Parker sacked after 1 win in first 4 matches, including beating Villa. 

Gerrard 3 wins in 16 games and still here.

You're assuming that they got fired for results.

Parker shot off his mouth publicly and angered the owners. It had almost nothing to do with results.

It sounds like Tuchel may have had some conflicts, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Why 6 games in particular? Is that when the WC break is? Genuine question.

This also is at odds with what you've been repeating in that he needs to be stuck with in the long term given that he's a rookie. Unless of course you think the cutoff point to know whether or not he's cut out for it is in 6 games, then that would make sense.

I think we should give him a fair crack at the job following a preseason and getting his own players in. Obviously Carlos was a huge loss and although it can't be used as an excuse it should allow a little understanding. I didn't check when the international break is but I am thinking it is about 6 games away. I think that to see what a manager can do at the start of a season should take somewhere between 10 and 15 games. As we have played 6, I just doubled that number thinking that is somewhere in between 10 and 15 games played and close to the international break. If it turns out to be 5 games of 7 games till then I am happy with that as the number. 

My stance on sticking with him as a rookie is correct but I am also acknowledging that he has already had 32 games as Villa manager and the grace period as a rookie is coming very close to an end. I just feel that last season was really difficult for him. New club, loads of pressure, first time in the PL, reputation on the line, a big budget and replacing a very liked manager. He took over midseason and I think, if he has the ability to be a good PL manager we will see that this season as he now knows Villa and the players, he is more used to the PL and he has had a preseason and got some of his players in. The 'new job' nerves should be gone and we should see the real 'Steven Gerrard the Manager' during the first 10 to 15 games of this season. If he is a success then great. If he isn't a success then I will want him replaced.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Unpopular opinion?

I think I preferred Bruce.

Bruce was alright at the time. Did a good job steadying the ship, so achieved part of the remit. Gerrard came into a better place and I can't imagine he's hit any of the club's targets. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, I want SG to have more time. Is he on thin ice? yes! has he improved us since he replaced Deano? No! Should he be sacked if he can't show improvement in the next 6 games or so? Yes. That is just my opinion and I have no problem with people wanting him sacked now, there is merit to that argument. I just like when the debate is honest and not personal. 

What can we learn in 6 games, that we don’t already know.

• He is bad at selecting the right players
  • He insists on using a tactic that don’t work, and result in loss after loss.
  • He refuse to give our youngsters any chance in the first team.
  • He only sign older players that have limit or no resell value.
  • He is not capably to make the right changes during a match by either changing tactics or players.

Those problem would still be there in 6 games times, either he wins them all or loses them all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Do you want us to lose on Saturday @thunderball if it means Gerrard going and Poch coming in?

Absolutely not. We are in dire trouble already and we need every point we can get, any consideration on the performance to date and the ongoing suitability of Gerrard should already be evident, he is shockingly naive. Nothing would make me happier than Gerrard winning every game or at least really impressing. Unfortunately I don’t think he is at the level we need and I fear Purslow’s judgement is compromised due to his utter conviction in his appointment and may cause him to cling to any hope which might mean we miss an opportunity that is immediate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

• He is not capably to make the right changes during a match by either changing tactics or players.

Those problem would still be there in 6 games times, either he wins them all or loses them all.

This is pure evidence of a manager under pressure. I guarantee he's been told by Purslow, via Edens and co, he needs results, or he may be up for the chop, an Purslow's hands are tied on the decision.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Absolutely not. We are in dire trouble already and we need every point we can get, any consideration on the performance to date and the ongoing suitability of Gerrard should already be evident, he is shockingly naive. Nothing would make me happier than Gerrard winning every game or at least really impressing. Unfortunately I don’t think he is at the level we need and I fear Purslow’s judgement is compromised due to his utter conviction in his appointment and may cause him to cling to any hope which might mean we miss an opportunity that is immediate.

We are not in dire trouble, we are only 6 games in, another loss is not gonna make a difference. If it ment Gerrard sacked and Poch in, personally I would concede it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

So surely it would be better if we lost? If I could choose between a loss at the weekend and poch appointed, or a Gerrard win against the worst performing team in the league and the inconsistency continues then I’m taking a loss. 

4 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

tbh, I don't think that is all accurate 

- He showed against City he can pick the right player: both Emi2 and Phil on the bench. But yes, he gets it wrong too but it is only 6 games in

- again City game, he used the correct tactics

- I would love to see Archer get a game but he is playing JJ and some people think too much

- Only signing older player is just wrong: Kamara is 22, Chambers was 26. Loans don't count re age and neither does a backup GK imo. Carlos, Digne and Phil were 28/29 when signed. We need some experience in the team

- In game tactics haven't been great but he needs to show he can do it

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is pure evidence of a manager under pressure. I guarantee he's been told by Purslow, via Edens and co, he needs results, or he may be up for the chop, an Purslow's hands are tied on the decision.

I don't think he will even need to be told, I am sure he is well aware he is under huge pressure

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think we should give him a fair crack at the job following a preseason and getting his own players in. Obviously Carlos was a huge loss and although it can't be used as an excuse it should allow a little understanding. I didn't check when the international break is but I am thinking it is about 6 games away. I think that to see what a manager can do at the start of a season should take somewhere between 10 and 15 games. As we have played 6, I just doubled that number thinking that is somewhere in between 10 and 15 games played and close to the international break. If it turns out to be 5 games of 7 games till then I am happy with that as the number. 

My stance on sticking with him as a rookie is correct but I am also acknowledging that he has already had 32 games as Villa manager and the grace period as a rookie is coming very close to an end. I just feel that last season was really difficult for him. New club, loads of pressure, first time in the PL, reputation on the line, a big budget and replacing a very liked manager. He took over midseason and I think, if he has the ability to be a good PL manager we will see that this season as he now knows Villa and the players, he is more used to the PL and he has had a preseason and got some of his players in. The 'new job' nerves should be gone and we should see the real 'Steven Gerrard the Manager' during the first 10 to 15 games of this season. If he is a success then great. If he isn't a success then I will want him replaced.

I have always advocated stability and patience however I think Gerrard had to be an upgrade on Smith - he clearly isn’t on lots of levels, I even think he is inferior. I am not a big fan of his detached management, he comes across as entitled and destined for bigger things, he actually comes across as an old school attitude Management dinosaur. He might make it as a manager but we don’t have time to let him learn his trade, this club needs a solid, experienced manager, Poch and Tuchel, and possibly soon, Rogers all fit this bill. I think we have seen enough, some of our outings this term have been shambolic, however vs Man City was excellent. I just think it’s too late given what’s possibly on offer.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I have always advocated stability and patience however I think Gerrard had to be an upgrade on Smith - he clearly isn’t on lots of levels, I even think he is inferior. I am not a big fan of his detached management, he comes across as entitled and destined for bigger things, he actually comes across as an old school attitude Management dinosaur. He might make it as a manager but we don’t have time to let him learn his trade, this club needs a solid, experienced manager, Poch and Tuchel, and possibly soon, Rogers all fit this bill. I think we have seen enough, some of our outings this term have been shambolic, however vs Man City was excellent. I just think it’s too late given what’s possibly on offer.

I get u completely, when we sacked Deano and were linked with Gerrard, I was clear on here that he was not the manager I wanted. But, as the club appointed him there is nothing I nor anyone else can do about that. So given the cards we are dealt I am just looking to how we can play our hand the best. To me, that means he needs a few more games

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are not in dire trouble, we are only 6 games in, another loss is not gonna make a difference. If it ment Gerrard sacked and Poch in, personally I would concede it.

I think we are. There are no mugs this season, no bankers, lots of big investment, even this alleged run of easy games we have doesn’t look straight forward. If we lose Saturday we are absolutely still struggling, pressure mounts exponentially, nerves, niggles, jeopardy, Gerrard has already demonstrated a predisposition to blame the players. It could quite quickly be 2015/16 all over again.

• Like 1

Â