Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think only 6 points, and convincing performances would make some people consider some patience.

I haven't jumped back to " SG in " but you know the bloke is hated when people are finding every reason under the sun why a point against Man City isn't so good. Lol

I personally want 6, as that would balance out the terrible start.

Based on the number of bad games, I think 4 is a fair and realistic target - it'd show enough improvement for now. I think it's a little much to expect 2 wins straight away. 

I think its a distinct possibility we get relegated this season, but at this stage of the season I could say that for a lot of other teams too. 

Whilst I think are performances this season have beem relegation tier, I'm quite confident we will improve eventually, with Gerrard or without him.

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So staying up is acceptable for you? This is an embarrassing take and shows how low the standards of some fans are now with Gerrard in charge

He is so shit that he brainwashed fans into accepting crap

Just surviving relegation wouldn't be enough for most I'd say?

If he shows he has potential to take us to the next level, he'd deserve time. Let's see what happens over the next few games, and whether he's learnt some big lessons or not.

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

32 games remaining i.e. 96 points to play for. 

Our squad is easily good enough to remain in the PL and I don't believe there is any possible chance we will go down. If it was Feb/Mar then it would be a completely different story but it is September. If SG can't get us up the table we have ample time to replace him with someone else

The longer we leave it, the more risk there is. Even if its not relegation, it'll be bottom half finish under Gerrard. We have already given up around 14 points after just 6 games.

@Zatman is right, after 1 game, a draw against Man City he has good as brainwashed fans into now thinking we have turned a corner. It's just nonsensical to think we will progress under this guy.

• Like 1

Good thing about still being early is realistically nothing much is out of reach yet, we are 4 points off 9th and play Leeds and Fulham soon who are top 10 as it stands.

4 points from next two will get us back in mid table pack with winnable games to come in October.

It's really up to Gerrard now. Please no more obsession with starting players who have had two good games in last six months. If he can regularly leave Coutinho out he should be doing the same to McGinn and I think it will come at Leicester.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

4 points from next two and I'll slowly start to change my mind.

Nothing less please as would mean losing to one of Leicester or Southampton at home which would be really really poor.

Up to Gerrard now. Of course point v Man. City is great but as said above Leicester and Southampton will be totally different games with more onus on us and not convinced we're going to have right answers in final third.

4 points from a useless Leicester and Southampton. 

Is this really the progress we are making under this manager. That's at best mid to lower midtable form.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, he could do it elsewhere. However, the club has made a conscious decision for him to do it at AVFC. Regardless of whether you believe this is the correct or incorrect decision, it is the decision the club has made. On that basis, it would be very shortsighted of the club to sack SG after a relatively short period as manager and only 6 games into the season. The challenging part of employing a novice manager is the initial period, we are nearly through this period so it makes sense to give SG time, particularly so as we are not under threat of relegation

We've averaged a point a game for the whole of 2022. Not sure how you can claim this with such confidence. 

Also the minimum requirement this season, according the the CEO, is to finish in the top half. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is this really the progress we are making under this manager. That's at best mid to lower midtable form.

So, we are castigating him, now.....prior to games not even played.....thats seems fair.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's all about getting a decent unbeaten run together so yes I'd take 4 points from next two.

Then after break go to Leeds and win as we did comfortably last season, draw with Chelsea who are in transition and then win at Forest.

Would be 15 points from 11 games so would then be back on track to what we need to do under Gerrard e.g. 50 + point season as I can't see him keeping his job if we look like barely able to beat last season's points haul which was poor.

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Would be nice if people could focus on the positive for once...

Villa held one of the best teams in the world to a draw and arguably should have won the game with the Coutinho goal.

Yes we gave up possession but they only had three or four big chances.

With Watkins' chance and Coutinho's we also had three big chances.

Perhaps they had an off-day, we have had a few this season too. Still think the referee shafting us at Palace hasn't helped.

There is a foundation to build upon and I hope we can do that.

Ok we have had a rough start but I think we should have had more points on the board too.

Of course focus on positives but at the end its just one game. Good teams have dropped points in one off games before 

Norwich beat City a few seasons back and ended with about 20 points

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

The longer we leave it, the more risk there is. Even if its not relegation, it'll be bottom half finish under Gerrard. We have already given up around 14 points after just 6 games.

@Zatman is right, after 1 game, a draw against Man City he has good as brainwashed fans into now thinking we have turned a corner. It's just nonsensical to think we will progress under this guy.

There are multiple elements of risk to keeping SG. Purslow needs to assess these and assess what risks are acceptable. Currently, there is no risk of relegation so that it not a concern. However, he now has to assess whether sacking SG now would result in a higher finish at the end of the season. This is not as straightforward an assessment as fans may like to suggest it is. 1) There is a risk with getting any new manager in and the new guy many not work out as planned. 2) The financial implications need to be considered 3) He needs to consider if SG is on the cusp of showing he can learn and improve and become the manager we are looking for.

As with the clouded judgement of many fans, many have the inability to not let bias influence their decision making. It would be naive to believe that a point to City at the weekend means everything is now smelling of roses. Yes, some fans are saying that he should be given a bit more time on the back of that result but that is a normal reaction. We played well, SG had a good performance as manager so he is showing the first glimpses of improvement. Surely, it would make sense to see can he continue to improve rather than just sack him now. It is very normal for a manager to take a bit of time to adapt to a new club and a new league

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've averaged a point a game for the whole of 2022. Not sure how you can claim this with such confidence. 

Also the minimum requirement this season, according the the CEO, is to finish in the top half. 

As I said in a different post, it would be different if it was Feb/Mar, it is not about the calendar year it is the season that is important and we are only 6 games in to this one. Our squad is good and if we can't show improvement under SG there is ample time to sack him and get a different guy in. I have 100% confidence that Villa will not be relegated this season

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

As I said in a different post, it would be different if it was Feb/Mar, it is not about the calendar year it is the season that is important and we are only 6 games in to this one. Our squad is good and if we can't show improvement under SG there is ample time to sack him and get a different guy in. I have 100% confidence that Villa will not be relegated this season

Agreed, I thought you were saying there's no worry of relegation even if we gave Gerrard the whole season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Would be nice if people could focus on the positive for once...

Villa held one of the best teams in the world to a draw and arguably should have won the game with the Coutinho goal.

Yes we gave up possession but they only had three or four big chances.

With Watkins' chance and Coutinho's we also had three big chances.

Perhaps they had an off-day, we have had a few this season too. Still think the referee shafting us at Palace hasn't helped.

There is a foundation to build upon and I hope we can do that.

Ok we have had a rough start but I think we should have had more points on the board too.

The start is what it is....its poor, we can't eradicate it, only improve upon  it.

Man U was out possessed for long periods on Sunday, but they just accept the win, for what it is.....A win.

Maybe our coach ( Critchley) is just getting to grips with things, lets hope SG builds on this.

a few defeats is not a crisis, anymore than one swallow, doesn't make a summer.

The whole stadium was rocking on Saturday, we must harness, that positivity and build on it.

SG is learning.....about all aspects of managing in the Premier League.....we can't jump on his every mistake.

We cut slack for rookie players......why not rookie managers?

The support for him was loud and clear on Saturday, I believe, it helped the players.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There are multiple elements of risk to keeping SG. Purslow needs to assess these and assess what risks are acceptable. Currently, there is no risk of relegation so that it not a concern. However, he now has to assess whether sacking SG now would result in a higher finish at the end of the season. This is not as straightforward an assessment as fans may like to suggest it is. 1) There is a risk with getting any new manager in and the new guy many not work out as planned. 2) The financial implications need to be considered 3) He needs to consider if SG is on the cusp of showing he can learn and improve and become the manager we are looking for.

As with the clouded judgement of many fans, many have the inability to not let bias influence their decision making. It would be naive to believe that a point to City at the weekend means everything is now smelling of roses. Yes, some fans are saying that he should be given a bit more time on the back of that result but that is a normal reaction. We played well, SG had a good performance as manager so he is showing the first glimpses of improvement. Surely, it would make sense to see can he continue to improve rather than just sack him now. It is very normal for a manager to take a bit of time to adapt to a new club and a new league

Agree with a lot but not the last one. 

I wouldn't say its normal for a manager to make zero improvements after this long and being backed in 2 windows. 

I would say it's normal for a new manager to make the worst start to a season in 25 years. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Agreed, I thought you were saying there's no worry of relegation even if we gave Gerrard the whole season. 

My view of SG is still 'I don't know'. I have seen good things and bad things. I want to see the guy have a fair crack at the job as the ideal outcome would be for SG to prove he is right for Villa. I think the next 4 to 6 weeks will tell us what we need to know. If we are looking like a team capable of finishing top half then I want him to stay. If we are not looking like a team capable of a top half finish then I want him sacked. 

• Like 1

Anything less than 6 points from the next 2 or he needs to go, even then we would need to show some semblance of a game plan also.

I could accept where we are right now temporarily if it looked like we had a plan or identity, and were building something, but nearly a year later and no improvements on the pitch and actually going backwards is not good enough for the backing and players at his disposal.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

this is ridiculous. who has said we have turned a corner? for most i would say he just gets a stay of execution.

but for how long are you going to nail your flag to the mast for? we get 6 points from the next 2, i guess you'd still want him out? what if we pick up 6+ wins from the 10 games before the WC? finally beat utd at home? progress through the cup away? would we still be brainwashed if all that were to happen and we consequently got behind him?

i'll be very surprised if the above happens make no mistake. but that doesn't mean i'm not open to the idea that he can turn it around. it seems that there's an air of stubbornness out there that people don't want to be proven wrong. and it wouldn't just be a few, it would be 97% of us (per the post west ham poll). but surely that would be a good thing if it happens? i'd love to eat humble pie personally...it would taste **** great if we went on a great run of games and consolidated a top half place or even a european push

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

32 games remaining i.e. 96 points to play for. 

Our squad is easily good enough to remain in the PL and I don't believe there is any possible chance we will go down. If it was Feb/Mar then it would be a completely different story but it is September. If SG can't get us up the table we have ample time to replace him with someone else

I remember when people were saying similar when Sherwood was manager.

We left it far too late getting rid of him, would rather not make the same mistake again.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this is ridiculous. who has said we have turned a corner? for most i would say he just gets a stay of execution.

but for how long are you going to nail your flag to the mast for? we get 6 points from the next 2, i guess you'd still want him out? what if we pick up 6+ wins from the 10 games before the WC? finally beat utd at home? progress through the cup away? would we still be brainwashed if all that were to happen and we consequently got behind him?

i'll be very surprised if the above happens make no mistake. but that doesn't mean i'm not open to the idea that he can turn it around. it seems that there's an air of stubbornness out there that people don't want to be proven wrong. and it wouldn't just be a few, it would be 97% of us (per the post west ham poll). but surely that would be a good thing if it happens? i'd love to eat humble pie personally...it would taste **** great if we went on a great run of games and consolidated a top half place or even a european push

Things were far different before the draw. I'll stick to my view, others can obviously change there's, but I am confident they will regret it!

As for winning this winning that, it's all conjecture, we have still won 3 in 15 under Gerrard, at the moment that hasn't changed. A win against Leicester won't change a thing, they are useless. Southampton is a team we should be beating, but because of this 'learner' in charge I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Â