Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s a shame in many ways we have Gerrard now and not a few more years down the line in his managerial career. He’s still learning on the job which especially in the Prem and having come from Scotland where tbf the pressure isn’t close bar The Old Firm, leaves little room for error.  At least Lampard had a season in the championship and 18 months at Chelsea before the Everton Job.

I do hope he learns a lot from this week and today and turns things around. Yes I’d rather have Poch but I also want a successful Steven Gerrard as our manager … just don’t have much faith presently. 

Why? What do you mean down the road

He is absolute crap and wont get better, the worst manager in Villa history

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s a shame in many ways we have Gerrard now and not a few more years down the line in his managerial career. He’s still learning on the job which especially in the Prem and having come from Scotland where tbf the pressure isn’t close bar The Old Firm, leaves little room for error.  At least Lampard had a season in the championship and 18 months at Chelsea before the Everton Job.

I do hope he learns a lot from this week and today and turns things around. Yes I’d rather have Poch but I also want a successful Steven Gerrard as our manager … just don’t have much faith presently. 

I hope that Gerrard has learnt more this week than he's learned in several years of management. It's not as daft as it sounds, because sometimes there are "road to Damascus" revelations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Some of the criticism in here is ridiculous. Ok you may not like Gerrard's tactics, team selection, signings whatever. That's your opinion. But these digs or saying he needs to **** off etc are well over the top. This stemming from his Liverpool days. Quite frankly, some people need to grow up.

Gerrard is a good man, he's trying his absolute best. He may not be the right man or turn it around but he's giving his all to the cause. I so want to him to do well here because I like him and how he comes across in interviews. I also think the players like him too and also want to turn it around. Today was very good, I expected a heavy loss like most people. We need to push on of course but today was a step in the right direction and we couldnt ask for more TODAY.

What utter rubbish.

Nothing to do with his Liverpool days.

More to do with his lack of managerial experience, and the utter shit run we have been on since he joined.

I don't care if he is a good man or an absolute bastard. If this is his best, it is not good enough and he has to go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

What utter rubbish.

Nothing to do with his Liverpool days.

More to do with his lack of managerial experience, and the utter shit run we have been on since he joined.

I don't care if he is a good man or an absolute bastard. If this is his best, it is not good enough and he has to go.

Surely, what u have just said suggests this is not his best? There are lots of managers that take some time to adapt. Just look at Arteta now, Gunners fans wanted him and Edu dragged out of Arsenal last season. There are not too many calling for their heads now

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is like your girl cheating on you for months. You're getting ready to break things off with her and you get a surprise blowie and you think "hmm maybe we can make this work". No you can't brother, get your head back in the game.

Read back in thread, this analogy is already I  the script. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is like your girl cheating on you for months. You're getting ready to break things off with her and you get a surprise blowie and you think "hmm maybe we can make this work". No you can't brother, get your head back in the game.

Never been so lucky 😥

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surely, what u have just said suggests this is not his best? There are lots of managers that take some time to adapt. Just look at Arteta now, Gunners fans wanted him and Edu dragged out of Arsenal last season. There are not too many calling for their heads now

Spent the best part of £300 million to achieve it though mate 

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Spent the best part of £300 million to achieve it though mate 

That's spending budget well within Villa's spending since NSWE bought us. But the money is not the point, the point is that he is a success there now, they are playing great football and getting results. Gunners fans didn't think this was possible with Arteta, read an Arsenal forum from the first 6/12 months of Arteta's reign and it is very similar to reading VT about SG

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have.

Then she cheated on me again the next week 😂

This cycle repeated itself for a while..... She's was just an extremely giving person... Bless her...

She's now married with 3 kids and still sends over random nudes when she's pissed 👀

She sounds bloody perfect 😃

He has a lot to prove but today he showed that he maybe has the potential earn the chance to prove it.

If we had drawn Vs Arsenal with that performance, it would have papered over cracks. It wouldn't have been deserved. If they smashed us 4-1, 5-1 or 6-1 we couldn't have complained, we'd have deserved it.

Vs City though, we deserved more than we got. Keep doing and showing that grit and we'll be fine this year

Edited by HalfTimePost

30 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's spending budget well within Villa's spending since NSWE bought us. But the money is not the point, the point is that he is a success there now, they are playing great football and getting results. Gunners fans didn't think this was possible with Arteta, read an Arsenal forum from the first 6/12 months of Arteta's reign and it is very similar to reading VT about SG

Yeah but he’s built that squad with a lot of money and managed to keep their best players in the process. It wasn’t possible 12 months ago because they didn’t have the players to play that way. I’m not knocking Arteta btw I think he’s a very good coach, you just missed out some key facts. You can have all the money in the world but you’ve got to be able to attract the players, we aren’t at that level yet. 

interestingly just saw another clip. Check around 1:40 mark. He was asked if sometimes players need to step up, as they can tend to hide behind the Manager . He sighed and then said " The important thing, is the players actually DID what the Manager asked today " 

Now I know we give SG stick, but is this sort of a tell that they haven't really been doing it otherwise?

Doesn't take anything away from SGs flaws or bad decisions obviously, but I think SG also mentioned the same thing in one of his post match earlier!

Is there a case here?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So sick of this Arteta point. Yes they lost a load of games they should have won. And then they went on a good run but still blew the Champions League qualification they had sewn up. Now they are winning a few games but it’s hardly a revelatory point. 

Arsenal have a really good team. They lost a lot of games they shouldn’t have and their fans were annoyed with Arteta. That’s as far as any parallel goes - no-one ever worried Arteta would relegate them.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

interestingly just saw another clip. Check around 1:40 mark. He was asked if sometimes players need to step up, as they can tend to hide behind the Manager . He sighed and then said " The important thing, is the players actually DID what the Manager asked today " 

Now I know we give SG stick, but is this sort of a tell that they haven't really been doing it otherwise?

Doesn't take anything away from SGs flaws or bad decisions obviously, but I think SG also mentioned the same thing in one of his post match earlier!

Is there a case here?

No because part of management - probably the most important part - is getting players (or employees) to implement your ideas. I could have an idea to fly a rocket to the moon powered by Ribena. But if I can’t get the engineers to build it it’s meaningless.

And as noted in another thread while I am thrilled with a point let’s not get carried away on a game that could have been 5-1 to City if KDB hadn’t worn clogs instead of boots today.

Edited by Adam2003

7 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

No because part of management - probably the most important part - is getting players (or employees) to implement your ideas. I could have an idea to fly a rocket to the moon powered by Ribena. But if I can’t get the engineers to build it it’s meaningless.

And as noted in another thread while I am thrilled with a point let’s not get carried away on a game that could have been 5-1 to City if KDB hadn’t worn clogs instead of boots today.

Fair play, not carried away at all, and I've seen them miss chances in other games as well.

No team scores all their chances.

We could easily say the game could have finished 4 - 1 to us if we took ours and a goal wasn't arguably wrongly ruled out but none of that happened.

We deserve some credit for our performance.

They were having their way, we grew into the game and threw them off balance.

Some are making it seem like we had absolutely nothing to do with the football match and City were just " off "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Good point against Man City.  Not sure what Gerrard changed to make the team perform better, or whether it was lucky or better tactics or individual skill or the opposition not being as good as they should have been.  

Either way, Leicester and Southampton are the real tests for Gerrard. He absolutely has to win against Leicester to stay in the job and buy himself another game. Then he has to win or at least draw against Southampton to show that he is moving the team in the right direction.  

He’s so far behind the curve when you look at the stats of the last 15 or 20 games, really he’ll need to go on a winning run at some point if he’s going to last until the World Cup break. 

• Like 1

Â