Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I’m gonna share this again. Pathetic stuff. One guy is treated harshly, the other is afforded every allowance and luxury:

Towards the end I was losing faith with Smith and never imagined him as our future. But there was no doubt Purslow was gagging for any excuse to sack Smith and bring in his pal. At the time I liked the name 'Gerrard', thought it might get us onside with the media, but never ever thought he was really any better than Smith, just that he may get bigger resources to sign better players.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Towards the end I was losing faith with Smith and never imagined him as our future. But there was no doubt Purslow was gagging for any excuse to sack Smith and bring in his pal. At the time I liked the name 'Gerrard', thought it might get us onside with the media, but never ever thought he was really any better than Smith, just that he may get bigger resources to sign better players.

Was around 2020 the rumours started that Purlsow wanted Gerrard, he had won nothing in Scotland at the time either. This was always Purslows end game

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

I think if he can get in Brereton Diaz, Bednarek and a new 8. He can switch to a 4 3 3 with wingers and play Bailey on one side. This free's up options to stop these fullbacks being the width and allows in midfielders to join the attack. So either a 4 2 3 1 or a 4 3 3. 

I think a big issue is the system is not working for the players and it's compounded by being targeted by opposition. His only hope is getting in a wide player.

where would he play Coutinho?

It would sum up Gerrards uselessness to change tactics to widemen 9 months into the job

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

More than just the connection between the fans and the club, what Dean Smith brought was an impetus and attacking intent to Villa, sometimes naively even. Especially at Villa Park, I always knew were were going to give every team a game. Even we were soundly beaten, by West Ham for example, we were always a threat. Going forward, we could hurt teams, even with the likes of Trezeguet playing up top. Unlike Gerrard's analysis of today "the game was in the balance". No it wasn't. Only 1 team was trying to win it in the second half. The most toothless shit I've ever witnessed. We could have played for 3 more days and not scored. I hate it. I just want to enjoy watching Villa. By all indications we finally have a strong team that can hurt the opposition from multiple areas on the pitch yet we look worse than when our main attacking threats were Wesley and El Ghazi. 

Our promotion team would beat our current squad at Villa Park. Just let us have the ball and do f*ck all with it. Then just hit us on the counter. 2-0 at full time. We have gone backwards since Steven's appointment. He's got to go. 

2 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

I think he can when they're passing a ball like that. It doesn't matter who signed you or where you've come from, at this level you've got to be able to pass a ball. It was awful. Digne especially was poor.

For the record not defending SG but the players here really need to pull there socks up. The simple stuff was shocking.

Ever had a crap manager at work so much so you can't be bothered, even though you are shit hot at your job on form. Happens in every industry chap!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Ever had a crap manager at work so much so you can't be bothered, even though you are shit hot at your job on form. Happens in every industry chap!

Well yeah so that would still be on me as it should be on them. Passing the ball to feet at this level should be the very bare minimum 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was around 2020 the rumours started that Purlsow wanted Gerrard, he had won nothing in Scotland at the time either. This was always Purslows end game

I remember this too. Pretty sure there was talk of Lage as well but it turned out he went to the club in Portugal that nassef sawiris was linked with investing into 

I'd say we have a top 10 squad, but looking at the money spent it should probably be better than it is. We're top 7 spenders when it comes to wages. As for transfer fees it depends on how far back you look but Villa have spent a lot. If the squad doesn't reflect that spending, it reflects poorly on the people responsible for transfers.

Another thing is the fact we now look like actual relegation candidates, with this squad. That is on Gerrard.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

Why is he still here? I really thought an announcement last night or this morning.

Wishful thinking on your part. I think he’s got at least a couple of games more. Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets Leicester and Southampton games also. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's bank holiday 

Ahhh so an extra day of pay for him before he gets fired, so that extra day has cost us £13,700 (£5m/365)

edit: yeah I know it would be included in any payout anyway but £13,700 a day still blows my mind

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Fair point, but I'd like a new strong 6/8 type player who can add some physical edge and athleticism. I think the wide forward is now key so we can ditch the full backs providing the width

I'd like to just see this useless clown sacked and all the decent midfielders we have in a system that suits them and that encourages competition.

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Wishful thinking on your part. I think he’s got at least a couple of games more. Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets Leicester and Southampton games also. 

Not wishful thinking at all, it’s what should happen.  No idea what a few more games will change anything.

I still expect to see a marquee signing just to quell the fans current discontent 

Edited by nick76

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Kinda agree it's on the players, but they ain't gonna change for Gerrard now. It's gonna take a change of manager. Unfortunately this is how it works in football, an sometimes industry.

Seems mad it's all falling apart. What a load of hype and a huge fizzle out

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

A great point… if your leader isn’t effective at his job, how can you (the player) ever be? Plenty of ways he can hinder and harm you, and that’s what happening.

Someone mentioned fight and effort… or something along the lines of it. I see no one representing those qualities more than Buendia, who still manages to be effective and put in positive performances when he gets to play… yet he gets dropped for Coutinho - a guy who really doesn’t represent those qualities and has, at the very least, lost his mojo. Yet he continues to play…

McGinn? F right off!

Make it make sense.

Stop blaming the players. It’s all on the manager, he is horrendous.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Â