Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I don't think the performances will impact Gerrard too much in the next 6 games. Yes, if we have 5 or 6 losses it would but I think fans are wide of the marking think SG is for the chop soon. In the next 6 games I think 7 points will be reasonably comfortable for him. That is losses to City and Arsenal and W2D1L1 from the the other 4. The owners and CP will be monitoring SG but I think we will need a catastrophically bad run of losses for SG to be fired before the WC break

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

Most I can see from Sunday is a draw if that, would love to be proved wrong but we know he will go back to near enough the 11 that played palace, then with Arsenal city and Leicester coming up we ain’t going to get anything against them 1st 2 especially 

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think the performances will impact Gerrard too much in the next 6 games. Yes, if we have 5 or 6 losses it would but I think fans are wide of the marking think SG is for the chop soon. In the next 6 games I think 7 points will be reasonably comfortable for him. That is losses to City and Arsenal and W2D1L1 from the the other 4. The owners and CP will be monitoring SG but I think we will need a catastrophically bad run of losses for SG to be fired before the WC break

Agree, I think we'd be a laughing stock for future managers if we sacked him 3 games into a season where we've asked him to rebuild and set a certain style of football.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Irrespective of performances/style, how many points would be minimum from next 6 games?

Its not such a hard line for me. Bournemouth /Palace were so shocking because of our performance. I haven't seen an improvement in our style of play in the Premier League  over last season.  So I want to see improvement there first.

Results wise, to make me believe we are actually serious as a club in wanting European football? Well its got to be 4 wins in 6. We have catching up to do. Which is very difficult to imagine right now.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I know there's a thing where people set up unrealistic expectations so when they're not met they can then be critical, but I feel over the next period of games we actually need to over achieve to compensate for the bad start, and truth be told we're at the stage now where getting good results against good teams shouldn't be seen as 'over achieving' for we if used correctly have a good team too.

I would like at least ten to twelve points from the next six fixtures.

Last season, unless my math is wrong, we took 11 points from 12 games against our next 6 opponents. 10 of those games were under Gerrard. 10-12 from the next 6 is extremely optimistic. I'd be surprised if we even get 8.

Joking apart, at the beginning of the season I would have expected the following points:

Bournemouth 2.5
Everton 2

Palace 1.5
West Ham 1.5

Arsenal 0.5

Man City 0

Leicester 1

Southampton 2

Leeds 2

—————————
I would have expected 13 points from the first 9 games.

So to meet expectations he would need another 10 points from these next 6

So below 8 points = sacked

8-9 with decent performances buys a little time.

10+ and he’s off the hook.

8 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its not such a hard line for me. Bournemouth /Palace were so shocking because of our performance. I haven't seen an improvement in our style of play in the Premier League  over last season.  So I want to see improvement there first.

Results wise, to make me believe we are actually serious as a club in wanting European football? Well its got to be 4 wins in 6. We have catching up to do. Which is very difficult to imagine right now.

European football?

spacer.png

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

European football?

spacer.png

Thats the expectation the club set! 🤷‍♀️ The massive gap between the investment, players, words vs the style/results is what has given me expectation whiplash.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well my family and a couple of friends almost didn’t renew our season tickets because mostly of him and the football.  I knew others at the ground who are also long term season ticket holders that questioned renewing, if that answers your question.  

Other reasons as I’ve mentioned before included ticket price rises and transportation issues but those could be forgotten somewhat if the football on the pitch was right.  We renewed because our love for the club though but it was a close call.

edit:  the atmosphere, it’s hard to say, it’s been nervous down there before Gerrard…basically 18 months of nervousness watching games, which impacts the atmosphere.

I think that is fair comment.

I am more than surprised, this feeling is still there, it is, affecting the atmosphere.....However, I haven't heard anyone around me, calling fo him to go, yet.....Hippo was the closest.

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thats the expectation the club set! 🤷‍♀️ The massive gap between the investment, players, words vs the style/results is what have given me expectation whiplash.

yes it was, and I am not sure it was a wise claim, either.

you only have to see us play, to know it was an ambitous call, without foundation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thug said:

Joking apart, at the beginning of the season I would have expected the following points:

Bournemouth 2.5
Everton 2

Palace 1.5
West Ham 1.5

Arsenal 0.5

Man City 0

Leicester 1

Southampton 2

Leeds 2

—————————

Lol, here's a projection I did over a month ago...

image.png.5c0fd38d93468badfc92030a0f64f680.png

Almost identical. Just the extra 0.5 from City and switch a few 0.5 points around.

I think I'd personally give him more time to recover the 3 points dropped from opening 3 games, especially given I had the Palace to Leicester run as the joint hardest set of 5 games all season (along with Newcastle to Spurs either side of the winter break). So 7 from next 6, providing reasonable performances would probably be the baseline for me.

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

yes it was, and I am not sure it was a wise claim, either.

you only have to see us play, to know it was an ambitous call, without foundation.

well to be fair to the club, if you buy the manager Coutinho, Kamara, Digne & Carlos on top of a squad with Martinez, Mings, Ings, Watkins, Baily, Buendia, then you should have an expectation.

If Gerrard said "give me those players and I will give you another bottom half finish" then we wouldnt have bothered.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thats the expectation the club set! 🤷‍♀️ The massive gap between the investment, players, words vs the style/results is what has given me expectation whiplash.

I know mate, sadly it appears like we like to talk a big game but we can’t back it up with action. Not on the pitch anyway.

The stadium renders were beautiful today 🤩 We need to backup that side of things with success on the pitch… asap!

A new manager will be required if we genuinely want European football…

I cannot see an improvement nor a sufficient one… we won’t get enough wins under him unless there is a combination of personal improvement (learning from mistakes, changing his ways) and strengthening the team (mainly midfield) before the window closes…

All seems quite unlikely…

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Thug said:

Bournemouth 2.5
Everton 2

Palace 1.5
West Ham 1.5

Arsenal 0.5

Man City 0

Leicester 1

Southampton 2

Leeds 2

—————————

Don't suppose you projected out to end of season did you? Just wondering what you expectation was for full season under Gerrard before this season started?

Mine worked out at 58 points.

29 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Agree, I think we'd be a laughing stock for future managers if we sacked him 3 games into a season where we've asked him to rebuild and set a certain style of football.

Would we? Real Madrid sacked the same manager twice after 6 games

Are players turning them down. If anything we will look progressive for growing balls and removing a poison from the club

1 minute ago, tomsky_11 said:

Don't suppose you projected out to end of season did you? Just wondering what you expectation was for full season under Gerrard before this season started?

Mine worked out at 58 points.

I didn’t buddy.

I think too much changes to predict too far ahead.

For instance before the season started I would probably have had us on 60+ points.

I’ll take 50+ right now if you offered it to me.

5 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

well to be fair to the club, if you buy the manager Coutinho, Kamara, Digne & Carlos on top of a squad with Martinez, Mings, Ings, Watkins, Baily, Buendia, then you should have an expectation.

If Gerrard said "give me those players and I will get you 14th" then we wouldnt have bothered.

but equally, if we finished 14th and only added one first team player, ( Carlos being an unexpected part of the plan) do you think that was going to get us in the top half?.....or are those players going to help us, from "being easy to play against"

What if, they are great individually, but lightweight together, too samey.....where are the leaders, where are the adversity reversers, where are the players to force our way back in to game.

its been said before....its great buying talent, but what if the mix is wrong.

success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration....Thomas edison.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 10:42, Jas10 said:

But isn’t that the managers fault for not signing or pursuing the right players then?

All I see here is that one team made a good/correct appointment, the other team didn’t 😔 

Howe had done a great job, SG has done a terrible one. It’s as simple as that for me.

I’m sorry, but we are going to continue to disagree. I’ve seen these players perform better before SG came in, and players we’ve signed perform well at other clubs beforehand.

I don’t blame the players, I firmly blame the manager.

I can’t see a positive, I don’t see what SG has brought to the club/team, what if any improvements he has made. All I see is decline and a mess and I’m fed up of it. We are worse because of him.

I’m getting tired of repeating myself so maybe I’ll give everyone a bit of a break 😆

He has to take responsibility for that...yes, I agree.

I am willing to give him more time, thats all.....I do see the things that frustrate you, and I am not saying, your are wrong.

....but I am still hoping he turns it around.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has to take responsibility for that...yes, I agree.

I am willing to give him more time, thats all.....I do see the things that frustrate you, and I am not saying, your are wrong.

....but I am still hoping he turns it around.

👍

best for all if he does, asap…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

but equally, if we finished 14th and only added one first team player, ( Carlos being an unexpected part of the plan) do you think that was going to get us in the top half?.....or are those players going to help us, from "being easy to play against"

What if, they are great individually, but lightweight together, too samey.....where are the leaders, where are the adversity reversers, where are the players to force our way back in to game.

its been said before....its great buying talent, but what if the mix is wrong.

success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration....Thomas edison.

Agree with that, but I beg to disagree the players are a bad mix. I just think they are being setup wrong. I simply refuse to believe we cant play our best players together at the same time. Maybe I am delusional but these are good players.

I also think Gerrard & staff have been inconsistent. Nakamba for example (obviously there are many more) was being lauded as part of Villa 2.0 last season before his injury. Now he is out of the frame even though fit and even though we have not bought another DM to rotate with Kamara or when we want to play two DM's. It confuses me. I  am not a football professional so my views maybe laughably wrong, but as a fan I dont understand it. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Â