Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I firmly believe in sticking with a manager. I know it doesn't look good but as Tro mentioned with Arteta these things can take a long time. 

What has he actually done to deserve time? Did you opt to give Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo or McLeish more time?

All 4 joined other terrible circumstances to Gerrard

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I firmly believe in sticking with a manager. I know it doesn't look good but as Tro mentioned with Arteta these things can take a long time. 

As has been mentioned quite a few times already, Arsenal were under very different circumstances and could afford to take a long time without really going anywhere as their objective was to reshape the playing squad first and foremost. Also, it was a lot easier to stick with Arteta as he had already delivered 2 trophies and his ethos was there to see, even if it wasn't necessarily working. None of these are true of Villa and Gerrard. There's no real reason to give him time other than just blind hope.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There has to be something though. 

Would giving lambert another year have led to success? Would sticking with Sherwood have worked out? Keeping Bruce instead of bringing in Smith?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There has to be something though. 

Would giving lambert another year have led to success? Would sticking with Sherwood have worked out? Keeping Bruce instead of bringing in Smith?

It’s just because his name is Steven Gerrard and he was a famous, successful player… and played for a big club…

That is what’s blinding some people to how poor of a manager he is. Surprising how the media seem to have not picked up on his abysmal record either… he really has been given an easy ride here in more ways than one…

There’s plenty of players who haven’t been able to translate their success or attributes while playing to some semblance of a successful managerial career…

Some that have too… but… I wonder what the success rate is actually… 🤔

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That's fine if Gerrard had shown an ounce of tactical aptitude and we were working towards something. But he hasn't and there has been zero progress in 9 months. It's quite obvious that giving him more time is a waste as the fundamental attributes he needs as a manager are lacking. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, a-k said:

As others have said, there is not a single player who is constantly overperforming or looks to have consistently improved since SG arrived. That in itself is a big red flag.

I think @HanoiVillan hit the nail on the head. It used to be that you could say Jacob Ramsey, but even he's been off the boil. It's between him and Cash, but they were both on rapid upward trajectories before Gerrard came in. Everyone else either seemed to have regressed or stagnated including his own signings like Coutinho and Digne worryingly.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

As terrible as Gerrard is surely he's able to mastermind a 1 - 0 win over league one Bolton.

Fully expect us to win today and not even imagining a scenario where we don’t.

Its the games against West Ham, Arsenal and Citeh that are worrying me…

I think at least one major thrashing is on the way and it’s going to be very embarrassing and really hurt… unless something changes drastically… but how?

I’m not looking forward to it at all… 

I been reading this thread since the beginning but this is my first post.  I was disappointed when Gerrard was announced as the new Villa manager but I thought I'd give a proper chance! 
31 games later I'm not impressed at the style and formation of the team. I think its only fair he is given another 5 games (Excluding Bolton)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

I been reading this thread since the beginning but this is my first post.  I was disappointed when Gerrard was announced as the new Villa manager but I thought I'd give a proper chance! 
31 games later I'm not impressed at the style and formation of the team. I think its only fair he is given another 5 games (Excluding Bolton)

Hi, just a straightforward question: what do you think will/could happen in the next 5 games? What’s the benefit of giving him that time? What signs of hope do you see?

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hi, just a straightforward question: what do you think will/could happen in the next 5 games? What’s the benefit of giving him that time? What signs of hope do you see?

Hi,

4 or 5 losses to confirm that getting rid of him is 99.8% the right decision 

I see no hope

21 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Welcome from lurking! good post please post more!

• Like 1

If anyone is wondering what the "table since Gerrard joined" is now looking like:

1. Manchester City – 77 points
2. Liverpool – 77 points
3. Tottenham – 62 points 
4. Arsenal – 58 points 
5. Chelsea – 52 points
6. Newcastle United – 49 points
7. Manchester United – 44 points
8. Brighton – 41 points
9. Brentford – 39 points 
10. Leicester City – 38 points
11. Aston Villa – 38 points 
12. Crystal Palace – 37 points 
13. Wolves – 36 points
14. Leeds United – 34 points
15. West Ham – 33 points  
16. Southampton – 30 points
17. Everton – 25 points

I see us dropping to about 13th/14th in the coming weeks which is where we ultimately finished last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

But surely Arteta had a better pedigree than Gerrard when he got our gig? He worked under Pep and by all accounts is a tactical genius  

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If anyone is wondering what the "table since Gerrard joined" is now looking like:

1. Manchester City – 77 points
2. Liverpool – 77 points
3. Tottenham – 62 points 
4. Arsenal – 58 points 
5. Chelsea – 52 points
6. Newcastle United – 49 points
7. Manchester United – 44 points
8. Brighton – 41 points
9. Brentford – 39 points 
10. Leicester City – 38 points
11. Aston Villa – 38 points 
12. Crystal Palace – 37 points 
13. Wolves – 36 points
14. Leeds United – 34 points
15. West Ham – 33 points  
16. Southampton – 30 points
17. Everton – 25 points

I see us dropping to about 13th/14th in the coming weeks which is where we ultimately finished last season.

I think that shows how poor the rest of the league is!

13 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Hi,

4 or 5 losses to confirm that getting rid of him is 99.8% the right decision 

I see no hope

Is it worth subjecting ourselves to further damage, unrest etc?

Why wait? Makes the job that much more difficult for the next guy and leaves us further adrift in the league.

The last thing I want is another wasted season, we could regress too far…

Just now, Xela said:

3 games in and he's above Klopp, Ten Haag, Brenda Rogers and Moyes

What more do you miserable lot want?!

An indication that it'll stay this way in 2/5/10/15 games time? I think every single one of those managers except Rodgers will be above us by the end of the weekend (and he'll probably be sacked right after).

We were 4 points ahead of Arsenal at this stage last season too. Yet we sacked our manager after 7 more games and Arsenal ultimately finished 5th. Us 14th. 

Â