Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, foreveryoung said:

That's not his job. Too many cooks as people are saying.

Have you ever worked with more than 1 or 2 people trying to tell you your job.

Maybe that’s his role on match days? He seems to do it quite often at least. Every team has 1 coach (often unrecognisable to people who don’t follow the club) who gives instructions to the players before they go on. McPhee seems to be ours. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

Trouble is,  we have fans that never wanted him and want to see him fail so they tell all they were right,  some are the same fans that think we should of kept Deano as he was 1 of us,  see he's doing brilliantly at Norwich this season. 

We could win the next 10 games and lose game 11 and the haters would come out agon with the pitch forks for Gerrard. 

He's our manager,  you back him till he's no longer with us,  or maybe go and support Man City in the Emptyhed. 

I totally agree wasn’t particularly happy with the appointment but his here. His been here 9 months had one pre season and played 2 games . But we have threads such has “ next villa manager” Villa talk is all about debate amongst VILLA fans but the constant negativity is exhausting. 

• Like 4

Win is hopefully a corner turned for him. We did look better today but it was always going to be hard to look any worse than we did last week. 

I don’t like him and most of the same questions still remain over SG longer term but if we keep winning then he stays and that’s fine by me. Good to see him swap Mings for Konsa. 

He simply has to start Buendia now as well. Best player at the club. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

He’s had a better start to the season then Ten Haag 😂

But Ten Haag is proven pedigree with credit in the bank.

They've already got a billion pound squad, so the owners need to turn off the tap and force him to coach what he's got!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

That's not his job. Too many cooks as people are saying.

Have you ever worked with more than 1 or 2 people trying to tell you your job.

Surely it is his job to give set piece instructions to subs coming on?

Thought we looked far better balanced today than last week and overall I’m happy with the performance. Still not 100% convinced on some of Gerrard’s tactics in particular how the midfielders seem to be tasked with covering the full backs who play far too high. Nothing to do with “never wanting him in the first place”, simply judging the team how I see them on the pitch 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

@DCJonah if you're confused by this, I suggest you read back through the SG and Summer transfer window thread.

Isn't that how a good Manager / Coach earns his coil?

Apparently it's this straightforward....

🤷🏾‍♂️

Not sure what the need for this is?Maybe save it up for when we play well? I'm sure it'll come when Coutinho isn't fit so Gerrard is forced to start Buendia.

Gerrard had half a season and finished the season with about 8 points from 36 or something didn't he? Now he's put another £120m on the books and we still have been poor bar some individuals.

Ten Hag won more than one title in his two-team league and has got to a champions league SF. Bit more evidence he could be worth sticking with I think?

Gerrard has...good press conferences? What else does he give Aston Villa than any other appointment would have? What does he do well? These are the questions that haven't been answered.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure what the need for this is?Maybe save it up for when we play well? I'm sure it'll come when Coutinho isn't fit so Gerrard is forced to start Buendia.

Gerrard had half a season and finished the season with about 8 points from 36 or something didn't he? Now he's put another £120m on the books and we still have been poor bar some individuals.

Ten Hag won more than one title in his two-team league and has got to a champions league SF. Bit more evidence he could be worth sticking with I think?

Gerrard has...good press conferences? What else does he give Aston Villa than any other appointment would have? What does he do well? These are the questions that haven't been answered.

Lol, you're on uously either missing the point, or trying to miss the point, or you might have even made the point stronger for me.

You claim that Gerrard is a rookie Manager, fine, but at the same time we have a very good squad and he should be able to coach what we've got to get the desired results, without needing any new players.

Do I assume that an outstanding Manager such as Ten Haag, with a squad probably worth 5 - 10 times more, should be able to hit the ground running without any hiccups? He also shouldn't need any players of his own or time to implement his style and philosophy?

Gerrard finished with " 8 points from 36 available" in his last few matches ( tangible ) , but so is the fact that he finished with a point average which would see us 9th ( Also tangible )

You know what's not tangible? Calculating how much of it was only due to new Manager bounce, or luck, or if it was only because the other team were shite etc.

This isn't a dog on Ten Haag by any stretch of the imagination, it's an expose of the ludicrous levels some of you are allowing your dislike of the man to bend logic and reason itself.

I would have been extremely happy if we had hired someone like Ten Haag after Dean Smith.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol, you're on uously either missing the point, or trying to miss the point, or you might have even made the point stronger for me.

You claim that Gerrard is a rookie Manager, fine, but at the same time we have a very good squad and he should be able to coach what we've got to get the desired results, without needing any new players.

Do I assume that an outstanding Manager such as Ten Haag, with a squad probably worth 5 - 10 times more, should be able to hit the ground running without any hiccups? He also shouldn't need any players of his own or time to implement his style and philosophy?

Gerrard finished with " 8 points from 36 available" in his last few matches ( tangible ) , but so is the fact that he finished with a point average which would see us 9th ( Also tangible )

You know what's not tangible? Calculating how much of it was only due to new Manager bounce, or luck, or if it was only because the other team were shite etc.

This isn't a dog on Ten Haag by any stretch of the imagination, it's an expose of the ludicrous levels some of you are allowing your dislike of the man to bend logic and reason itself.

I would have been extremely happy if we had hired someone like Ten Haag after Dean Smith.

maths.gif

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As I said, I'd prefer instead of people wasting convoluted paragraphs they just type " F*CK Gerrard" and exit the thread.

I don't think this would go down well.

Be good if we play well but lose. I'll be on here loving it, don't worry! I'll say there's something to build on, that's what I want. To see a plan.

Results without performances are welcome but not much to celebrate unless they're taking you all the way to titles and cups. That isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Logic tells me that we won 3 points in a relatively positive display, in our second game of a new season,  to stop the rot, as well as potentially a platform to build confidence and inspire better performances.

Most people who are fans of a football club would be relatively happy.

Instead you're all obsessed with how you can scrutinise why it's a shit win 🤣

As I said, I'd prefer instead of people wasting convoluted paragraphs they just type " F*CK Gerrard " and exit the thread.

Some of the criticisms are valid, and I do understand (and to an extent share) the fears that certain problems will always persist under Gerrard, although one person on here openly admitted before the game that their ideal outcome was for us not just to lose today but also to Palace (so Gerard would hopefully get sacked).

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don’t agree, Man Yoo are a basket case with a broken dressing room, like us when we went down.

Gerrard appears to be trying to break the dressing room on his own.

The comparison doesn’t work

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Logic tells me that we won 3 points in a relatively positive display, in our second game of a new season,  to stop the rot, as well as potentially a platform to build confidence and inspire better performances.

Most people who are fans of a football club would be relatively happy.

Instead you're all obsessed with how you can scrutinise why it's a shit win 🤣

As I said, I'd prefer instead of people wasting convoluted paragraphs they just type " F*CK Gerrard " and exit the thread.

Ok, why don’t you just post “Stevies Great” and do the same?

4 minutes ago, macandally said:

Ok, why don’t you just post “Stevies Great” and do the same?

Because I try to be more of a balanced poster who appreciates nuance and balance.

The truth is usually somewhere in between both extremes.

However when we win, I tend to lean towards being optimistic, because Villa winning makes me happy.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That's the joke...

The whole post has gone straight over my head tbh, even after reading a few times.

Do you have a stance on Gerrard or just boiling down any negative points to "F*CK Gerrard"?

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because I try to be more of a balanced poster who appreciates nuance and balance.

The truth is usually somewhere in between both extremes.

However when we win, I tend lean towards being optimistic, because Villa winning makes me happy.

Me too, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t recognise the limitations Gerrard has.

Its a bit like looking lovingly at your car knowing the engines on its way out 

Â