Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Honestly, stop listening to what the press says. There isn’t a single journalist alive that won’t lie, exaggerate or distort in order to sell and get eyeballs on their articles. 

There is absolutely NOTHING you can trust in the media. They create drama to sell. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I trust now people are realising signings are not the issue. Player performance is. That comes down to the manager, his system and his methods. Our squad on paper is more than worth a top 10 finish, our first 11 even higher. Now after investing so much into the playing squad I want to see a manager capable of taking it and squeezing every last drop out of it. Traore is not a bad player. McGinn is not a bad player. Konsa is not a bad player. Targett was not a bad player. Signing a new number 8 at this stage is not going to change anything. What will is sacking the fool who's magic in the game ended when he took off his own number 8.

I disagree.  I think we are in the 9-12 group in terms of starting XI because whilst we may have better players the XI is not as balanced as other teams are.  A new 6/8 addresses that imbalance immediately and then I would agree that we are probably in the 7-9 group.  Whether Gerrard is good enough to get that squad at the top of either group is debatable (and his decision to appoint McGinn as captain has me seriously questioning that).  I'd rather a new manager sign that extra player rather than persist with trying a combination of Luiz, McGinn, JJ and Sanson - which didn't work under Smith and aren't working under Gerrard.  Smith got sacked for not addressing our midfield issue.  Gerrard is in danger of following him.  We need to improve one position (possibly two - although I am more inclined to see whether Watkins or Ings can finally click).  It is looking like we may also need a more experienced manager.  I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Yeah it does, maybe read the book before you past comment on something you know little about.

I'd be interested in reading this book, do you have a link for it? A quick search brings back a lot of books called 'the science of coaching', just want to be sure I grab the right one.

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Yeah it does, maybe read the book before you past comment on something you know little about.

I asked if it did. What does it say then?

Are the expected learning curves the same now with all this new technology as it were a 100 years ago? Or is it negated by the much more complex and detailed tactics?

Not really a loaded question. You are a coach and have read the book, surely you must have no issue explaining it even to us uneducated simpletons you talk down to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Comparing Conte and Howe with Gerrard is unfair...

Gerrard in my opinion is a rookie manager, has managed in a two-horse joke league and Villa took a BIG chance on him!

Conte is one of the World's best coaches and Howe has experience in the PL and Championship.

So why did we sign him then? Because it's playing out exactly how you'd expect for the rookie manager that managed in a joke league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I asked if it did. What does it say then?

Are the expected learning curves the same now with all this new technology as it were a 100 years ago? Or is it negated by the much more complex and detailed tactics?

Not really a loaded question. You are a coach and have read the book, surely you must have no issue explaining it even to us uneducated simpletons you talk down to.

I'm speculating here since I haven't read the book, but the mere fact that the club has so many more tools (and quite frankly more experience and knowledge than us fans) at least tells me that we aren't getting the whole picture in terms of our performance. Analysts and coaches are currently pouring over everything from stats to video to analyse how we did and are doing in comparison to what we are trying to do, which most of them will have a much butter understanding of the we do.

To us, the decisions and team selection might seem utterly daft, but I am 100% sure they are made in a context we aren't privy to that at the very least makes them logical, even if they aren't CORRECT per se. 

Modern coaching and running a club leaves very little to chance, and from what I gather, to the absolute whims of the manager. They will have stats and well thought through reports on which to base their decisions on in order to realise the managers vision and system.

It might be the vision and system that Gerrard should be sacked for, but I don't think it's a case of him not seeing what we are. I just think they have a different perspective to us. 

Just now, sne said:

Yeah absolutely. I'm just not agreeing about every coach needing 12 months before they are able to get their ideas across to the players.

Sure that book that is mentioned is really informative. But it feels like gatekeeping to pretty much say that if you've not read it you have no clue of how football and coaching works

I think that is a very valid point, and I think that is more down to each individual clubs philosophy. I'm not quite sure what ours are in that regard. I suppose it also depends on availability of alternatives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah absolutely. I'm just not agreeing about every coach needing 12 months before they are able to get their ideas across to the players.

Sure that book that is mentioned is really informative. But it feels like gatekeeping to pretty much say that if you've not read it you have no clue of how football and coaching works

Also the idea that after 12 months it would suddenly just click when there has been zero sign of it up until that point is absurd. And if the reader believes that is what the book says then he has either interpreted it wrong or the author has presented it poorly, because we all know it doesn’t work like that. It’s gaslighting. 

• Like 2

There’s no identity to Gerard’s system. There’s no signs there is an identity forming. He’s stint last season, preseason, Bournemouth, he’s still trying to find what style and system Villa should be playing. How much time and money does the man need? He’s got everything he needs to have an identity. The only things is lacking is consistent coaching, tactics, system and style… that’s all on him. If I was in Purslow and the owners position I’d be quizzing Gerrard on what is he trying to implement here at Villa. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Also the idea that after 12 months it would suddenly just click when there has been zero sign of it up until that point is absurd. And if the reader believes that is what the book says then he has either interpreted it wrong or the author has presented it poorly, because we all know it doesn’t work like that. It’s gaslighting. 

While I won't hold my breath, it certainly isn't outside the realms of possibility. Question is if the potential reward is worth the risk?

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Again idiots, or as I like to call them Arsenal fans, wanted Arteta sacked. There was clear evidence of progress on the pitch, it just wasn’t “sexy enough” for them. 

I would love somebody to outline the progress they think we’ve made on the pitch under Gerrard and what identity he is looking to instil based on what we’ve seen. Because I see nothing, and some of you must see something?

Im struggling to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

There’s no identity to Gerard’s system. There’s no signs there is an identity forming. He’s stint last season, preseason, Bournemouth, he’s still trying to find what style and system Villa should be playing. How much time and money does the man need? He’s got everything he needs to have an identity. The only things is lacking is consistent coaching, tactics, system and style… that’s all on him. If I was in Purslow and the owners position I’d be quizzing Gerrard on what is he trying to implement here at Villa. 

They probably are.

This one is pretty grim

Long read in link.

Steven Gerrard in for a rude awakening after devastating opening day defeat – tactical analysis

In this match, Bournemouth rarely attempted to press Villa intensely during the build-up phase, instead opting for a mid-block in order to force Aston Villa to either play through them or over them. From goal kicks, Villa used a 4-1 shape to progress play, although on the rare instance they did get pressed in the 1st phase, they would go long to avoid the risk of losing possession in their own half.

:snip:

There was a strange theme in this game, where Villa would continuously opt for long balls to the striker, Danny Ings, who doesn’t have the physicality to win aerial duels and hold the ball up. The image below perfectly illustrates how Kamara sends the ball up the pitch even though he is under no pressure and has plenty of options near him. This has to be an instruction from the manager, due to the constant use of long balls, even though they were unlikely to ever work out.

Aston Villa are a massive threat when they get into the final third and sustain pressure, however, poor tactics and a lack of a progressive midfielder have prevented them from creating chances regularly.

Rather than trying to play through a team, Aston Villa have been attempting tough and low-percentage balls which are unlikely to ever come off. The players seem to be lost on the pitch and there is a lack of patterns and principles the players are using to get up the pitch.

With 65% possession, Villa only managed 0.95 xG from 16 shots. 11 out of those 16 shots were attempted from outside the box, highlighting how desperate and out of ideas Villa were.

There was a lack of combinations in wide areas on both wings, something which is unusual considering the quality that Villa posses in those areas. Instead, the only method of chance creation Villa used were crosses from wide and deep areas. This image below illustrates the constant want to deliver crosses into the box even without any good targets to aim for. Neither Coutinho nor Bailey are strong at heading the ball, but Gerrard insisted on his players attempting these crosses against a Bournemouth backline which is physical and strong in duels.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/premier-league-202223-bournemouth-vs-aston-villa-tactical-analysis

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daft said:

While I won't hold my breath, it certainly isn't outside the realms of possibility. Question is if the potential reward is worth the risk?

It's certainly not impossible and it's a risk calculation definitely.

Probability Gerrard goes on to become the next Klopp - Brendan Rodgers = X. Or something.

So I suppose when I say he should go, I'm saying that on the balance of probability I think he should go. 

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Crystal Palace saw through Frank De Boer in 4 games and saved there season. You need be decisive to go places

• Like 2

Â