Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Is that what I said? I believe you’re the one wearing the hyperbolic hat.

Apologies, you said " Gerrard doesn’t do any coaching and the players themselves have said he barely speaks to them.  "

I had to go back to the post...but still, same principle applies IMO

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

“He (Beale) knows so much about football, it’s just incredible. He does all the training sessions, he takes all the important meetings, obviously Stevie G talks (too).“

https://tbrfootball.com/its-just-incredible-aston-villa-star-says-hes-noticed-something-really-unusual-about-gerrards-management/?amp

“He's very quiet, very calm. But when he speaks we listen," Martinez said. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gerrard-wenger-martinez-aston-villa-23370207.amp

As I said, he leaves the detail to others. And these are just quotes from Martinez, I’m sure there’s others from Ramsey and Digne too. I’m quite surprised at the reaction, do people not read and understand what’s being said about our current set up?

Feel free to post laughing emojis if you think I’m stupid, I do it as well.

Inshallah and still.

Mate, it was quite clear it was being said in jest. It's an internet forum dedicated to a middling Premier League team, if we can't have a laugh about silly things then what's even the point in putting ourselves through all of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I had to go back to the post...but still, same principle applies IMO

What principle? I literally said he barely speaks to them. The quotes reflect that.

Just now, Indigo said:

Mate, it was quite clear it was being said in jest. It's an internet forum dedicated to a middling Premier League team, if we can't have a laugh about silly things then what's even the point in putting ourselves through all of this.

I agree completely, I promise I’m not upset by any of this. My point is that Gerrard isn’t really key to what we’re doing on the pitch, he’s more of a motivational speaker who gee’s the lads up and helps convince players to sign. Nothing wrong with that. 

Top 8 

Play some semblance of entertaining football.

Show some flexibility tactically.

Stop playing the same under performing players.

Show he is capable of using a squad and generating competition for places.

Last season for 90% of the season it was a snoozefest. I couldn't care about league finishes from x date.

We played terrible terrible football. We saw underperformed players constantly starting games when they didn't deserve it (by Gerrards admission in post matches)

I just want to go to Villa Park again and not be able to predict the 11. Predict the game plan against the oppo we face , predict the subs , and just generally have some kind of enjoyment and excitement.

I can see it stagnant if Gerrard continues with his lack of imagination.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Top 8 

Play some semblance of entertaining football.

Show some flexibility tactically.

Stop playing the same under performing players.

Show he is capable of using a squad and generating competition for places.

Last season for 90% of the season it was a snoozefest. I couldn't care about league finishes from x date.

We played terrible terrible football. We saw underperformed players constantly starting games when they didn't deserve it (by Gerrards admission in post matches)

I just want to go to Villa Park again and not be able to predict the 11. Predict the game plan against the oppo we face , predict the subs , and just generally have some kind of enjoyment and excitement.

I can see it stagnant if Gerrard continues with his lack of imagination.

I think this is fair. It was not enjoyable for the most part. But it was a free hit. Hoping he can turn it around this season. First half and starting XI against United was all too reminiscent of last season which was worrying but I hope that second half gave him food for thought. All eyes on Rennes Saturday.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As @Indigo pointed out above, this is a pretty silly debate we are having.

Then again. most of what we do is.

It's not that serious. lol

Doesn’t seem that silly. I said something. You disagreed. I provide evidence. All of a sudden it’s not that serious lol. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Doesn’t seem that silly. I said something. You disagreed. I provide evidence. All of a sudden it’s not that serious lol. 

I mean, I was just trying to avoid a pointless argument, but if you want to go over it we can again you can.

You were trying to intimate that he barely talks to the players... which is obviously bollox.

You then extracted quotes of Emi talking about Beale Taking training sessions and important meetings, none of which substantiate the claim that he " barely talks to the players" 

Common sense would tell you that it's absolute nonsense to intimate as such,

So if we want to get nitty, it's " not that serious " because it's obviously absolute nonsense to try and further an agenda.

* The only mistake i made was misquoting your initial actual comment, which is along the same vein.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

First half and starting XI against United was all too reminiscent of last season which was worrying but I hope that second half gave him food for thought. All eyes on Rennes Saturday.

You're one of the posters I generally make sure to read whenever I see you're name, and maybe you're just way more patient than I am and a thoroughly decent person, but I'm totally exasperated by words like 'worrying' and 'hope' and 'food for thought' in the context above.

My feeling is that if SG can't see the blindingly obvious after 30+ games then he never will, and the sooner we get rid of Steve Bruce mark II the better. If, on the other hand, he can see with his own eyes what works with the players at his disposal and learns from it, then I'm genuinely excited about the upcoming season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

You're one of the posters I generally make sure to read whenever I see you're name, and maybe you're just way more patient than I am and a thoroughly decent person, but I'm totally exasperated by words like 'worrying' and 'hope' and 'food for thought' in the context above.

My feeling is that if SG can't see the blindingly obvious after 30+ games then he never will, and the sooner we get rid of Steve Bruce mark II the better. If, on the other hand, he can see with his own eyes what works with the players at his disposal and learns from it, then I'm genuinely excited about the upcoming season.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm just loathe to write someone off after coming in midseason with no preseason. So he gets a clean slate from me this season, and I hope he's using this preseason to iron out the kinks from last season, as that's what it's for. I want to be excited for this season as well, especially considering how strong our squad is. All I can do is hope at the moment.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean, I was just trying to avoid a pointless argument, but if you want to go over it we can again you can.

You were trying to intimate that he barely talks to the players... which is obviously bollox.

You then extracted quotes of Emi talking about Beale Taking training sessions and important meetings, none of which substantiate the claim that he " barely talks to the players" 

Common sense would tell you that it's absolute nonsense to intimate as such,

So if we want to get nitty, it's " not that serious " because it's obviously absolute nonsense to try and further an agenda.

* The only mistake i made was misquoting your initial actual comment, which is along the same vein.

I see where you’re coming from. C’est la vie, we’re both big winners tonight. 

1 hour ago, MrSmirch said:

“He (Beale) knows so much about football, it’s just incredible. He does all the training sessions, he takes all the important meetings, obviously Stevie G talks (too).“

https://tbrfootball.com/its-just-incredible-aston-villa-star-says-hes-noticed-something-really-unusual-about-gerrards-management/?amp

“He's very quiet, very calm. But when he speaks we listen," Martinez said. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gerrard-wenger-martinez-aston-villa-23370207.amp

As I said, he leaves the detail to others. And these are just quotes from Martinez, I’m sure there’s others from Ramsey and Digne too. I’m quite surprised at the reaction, do people not read and understand what’s being said about our current set up?

Feel free to post laughing emojis if you think I’m stupid, I do it as well.

Inshallah and still.

the players themselves have said he barely speaks to them.”

How on earth did you get to that?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm inclined to agree. I'm just loathe to write someone off after coming in midseason with no preseason. So he gets a clean slate from me this season, and I hope he's using this preseason to iron out the kinks from last season, as that's what it's for. I want to be excited for this season as well, especially considering how strong our squad is. All I can do is hope at the moment.

38329188-910B-441C-85D0-FD9B73419D81.gif

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

One of our best performances under Gerrard in the early days. Ings and Watkins still couldnt finish and Buendia was still running things. Some things never change

This is where my hope comes from. I want to think it wasn't a fluke that he got us playing like this. Not sure what happened to this, but the fact that it was so different from how we were playing before made me think it was something Gerrard was doing on the training pitch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is where my hope comes from. I want to think it wasn't a fluke that he got us playing like this. Not sure what happened to this, but the fact that it was so different from how we were playing before made me think it was something Gerrard was doing on the training pitch.

we signed Coutinho two days later and then we had squeeze him into the team at all opportunities

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

One of our best performances under Gerrard in the early days. Ings and Watkins still couldnt finish and Buendia was still running things. Some things never change

Oh to play at that tempo, all one touch and short sharp passing, what went wrong?

Â