Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And he did live there for a year, might still have a house there, looks like he's done some charity stuff there too, he's definitely got the family there with him 

So .....no story, what a boring life.

On 05/06/2022 at 13:25, nick76 said:

I’m still very much on the fence with Gerrard in regards to on the pitch.  He’s brilliant at interviews and media work and is crucial for recruitment.  If he translates that onto the pitch, which he currently isn’t quite doing, then I will be delighted.

In terms of training and coaching, I couldn’t care less if he did all the training or sat in his office watching his elite coaches do all the training.  If he finds what works is I all care about as both hands on management and hands off management can work.  Obviously, it’s generally somewhere in between is the optimum point but it’s finding that optimum with the staff you have based on their skill set and competencies, and your own. 

but what if he hadn't got the players last season to do what he wanted to do.....surely that is a possibility.

coaching, organising,  will only produce so much, you need the players to form a complete team, players who compliment each other, not similar to each other......we didn't have that IMO.....And as a result we created inconsistencies.

We can't properly Judge SG until he has a stab at creating his OWN team.

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes and no

I still find it hard to believe that when we interviewed him his grand plan for this villa team was to buy 10 new players and replace everyone bar martinez even if that was because he has this system that none of them can play (which I'm also not convinced by yet) 

He should be getting more out of players that he already has, Watkins and Ings being the prime example

Exactly!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yes and no

I still find it hard to believe that when we interviewed him his grand plan for this villa team was to buy 10 new players and replace everyone bar martinez even if that was because he has this system that none of them can play (which I'm also not convinced by yet) 

He should be getting more out of players that he already has, Watkins and Ings being the prime example

I never heard him say that, he wanted 10 new players.

surely his recruitment interview, would have baulked at that claim.

I am also uneasy with this " can't play the system" shenanigans......surely most top class players are generic and adapt to a way of playing.....I am equally not convinced that "his system" is as relevant as some subscribe to.

.............blimey its like looking to buy a mass produced car that is only good for certain types of drivers.

Alan Shearer once said on MOTD, when questioned on a players performance......they have to adapt, I had to adapt to the teams I played for.

Too much is said imo on "systems" and not enough on the "players performances" playing in them.

I remember way back, when Alf Ramsey was ridiculed for not playing wingers, but whether we all like wingers or not, his decision was vindicated.

Wingers are great to watch, but they are hit and miss too, unless you have amongst the best......To be flirting around the top 6 we need players with consistency in their game, industry too, to compete with the best.

Whether Gerrard makes it with us or not.....and I think he will......It won't be down to his system alone, that determines our success.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whether Gerrard makes it with us or not......It won't be down to his system alone, that determines our success.

I agree but his coaching so far has been questionable, we were told that he needed a summer and his own buys, so next season he needs to start showing us because excuses start to become thin because he’ll have more of his own players to go with the players who he already has that so far don’t seem to be doing well under his coaching/tactics/style.

We can only hope it works!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree but his coaching so far has been questionable, we were told that he needed a summer and his own buys, so next season he needs to start showing us because excuses start to become thin because he’ll have more of his own players to go with the players who he already has that so far don’t seem to be doing well under his coaching/tactics/style.

We can only hope it works!

Thats what we all do Nick....hope.

I don't want to appear argumentative mate.....but how can we question his coaching, we are not privvy to BMH goings on.....and to my limited knowledge, Beale did all the coaching on a day to day basis.

If you want me to wade in......I think 19 defeats in a season for that squad was pants....I also think the home performances was poor in terms of number of wins......I also think our ability to show resillience in a game and FIGHT back, was poor.....I think the mentality of that squad was questionable, despite us having some good moments.....not all our players are questionable in terms of mentality, but some are.

If folk think that is ALL down to Gerrard, I disagree......but equally , it would be foolhardy of me to say, he was not responsible for any of it.

Personally, I still think Dean, never had the right players in certain postions either and had he.....He could have survived.

Not to digress too much, but I am not sure..Potter or Howe is any better than Dean.....they just have/had better players in crucial positions and put more emphasis on being hard to beat.

SG does need his own players.....then if he fails, I will agree with you.

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What does Gerrard doesn’t use wingers actually mean in practise ? I’m struggling to understand which teams actually do?

• Everton
  • Leicester
  • Man City
  • West Ham
  • Leeds

......but I get your questioning.

It depends what is really meant by it.....players get deployed in various positions but are expected to move around,during a game,to find space,  so its all a bit up in the air for me.

Football is simply imo.....The best managers get the best players and jobs....the best players win everything....simples.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to appear argumentative mate.....but how can we question his coaching, we are not privvy to BMH goings on.....and to my limited knowledge, Beale did all the coaching on a day to day basis.

We question by seeing the end result which is game time.  Coaching the players during the week from fitness, tactics, style, game plan and everything else is all in preparation for the game.  If game doesn’t produce (which is not only about winning) then that has to do mainly with preparation, which leads back to coaching.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

If folk think that is ALL down to Gerrard

I have never said that, what I have said was that Gerrard was brought in to improve it and hasn’t to date.  It’s early, I agree, but I would’ve hoped to see something…I just saw the same things

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not to digress too much, but I am not sure..Potter or Howe is any better than Dean

Mate, that’s a distraction tactic…but let’s go with that line.  I didn’t want either of those either, we were supposed to have an upgrade and not a side step.  Smith, Gerrard, Potter, Howe…I don’t see a difference to be honest of level.  If Gerrard has a higher ceiling he needs to get there quicker.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

they just have/had better players in crucial positions and put more emphasis on being hard to beat.

Newcastle and Brighton had better players in crucial positions? I definitely don’t agree with that.  Yes we had a problem at DM but I can’t agree with you.

As for putting more emphasis on being hard to beat, I’m not sure that’s a positive position for Gerrard. They both finished above us, we Howe and Potter better at what was needed for the games then?

Anyway it doesn’t matter now, it’s just what he(Gerrard) does this coming season.  For me he needs to step it up, no point being a side ways move on Smith, he needs to be better.  It looks like the club will invest in him, so he needs to deliver.  The jury is still out on him, but he has time, he just needs to deliver.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Everton
  • Leicester
  • Man City
  • West Ham
  • Leeds

......but I get your questioning.

It depends what is really meant by it.....players get deployed in various positions but are expected to move around,during a game,to find space,  so its all a bit up in the air for me.

Football is simply imo.....The best managers get the best players and jobs....the best players win everything....simples.

All of them expect full back backs to over lap. As we do. I’m struggling to understand why certain players wouldn’t be able to play in this system Gerrard has. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We question by seeing the end result which is game time.  Coaching the players during the week from fitness, tactics, style, game plan and everything else is all in preparation for the game.  If game doesn’t produce (which is not only about winning) then that has to do mainly with preparation, which leads back to coaching.

I have never said that, what I have said was that Gerrard was brought in to improve it and hasn’t to date.  It’s early, I agree, but I would’ve hoped to see something…I just saw the same things

Mate, that’s a distraction tactic…but let’s go with that line.  I didn’t want either of those either, we were supposed to have an upgrade and not a side step.  Smith, Gerrard, Potter, Howe…I don’t see a difference to be honest of level.  If Gerrard has a higher ceiling he needs to get there quicker.

Newcastle and Brighton had better players in crucial positions? I definitely don’t agree with that.  Yes we had a problem at DM but I can’t agree with you.

As for putting more emphasis on being hard to beat, I’m not sure that’s a positive position for Gerrard. They both finished above us, we Howe and Potter better at what was needed for the games then?

Anyway it doesn’t matter now, it’s just what he(Gerrard) does this coming season.  For me he needs to step it up, no point being a side ways move on Smith, he needs to be better.  It looks like the club will invest in him, so he needs to deliver.  The jury is still out on him, but he has time, he just needs to deliver.

My point is Nick, to a large extent...its still Deans players, you say not much has changed, why would it?

• The difference here is, you think its coaching, I think its the players......we will see, because neither of us can be sure, until he gets his own team to judge.
  • The DM Issue is capable of having a knock on effect to the whole team....you seem to agree, but then play it down.
  • I think Newcastles January business made a huge effect on them, particularly Burn, Trippier and Guimares.
  • As for Brighton, we was trying to sign their CDM if the speculation was right, and he went to Spurs instead, hardly a bad player or less than what we had.
  • That wasn't a distraction tactic at all....it was a point to say, with the right players in the right positions, Dean would still be in the job, and I believe that.

your right, it doesn't matter, what is behind us.....its what's in front that matters.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â