Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Absolutely. One thing I don’t want is to scrape by to summer using the same system then have to pay 100-150 million to see the system look any way decent. And hopefully it’s the same from above. There’s a squad there capable of much better and I think the talk is starting to wear real thin now. I think they deserve a pre season and summer window but if the next few months are a complete disaster then that time shouldn’t be a given 

Yeah, if you go back to Klopps first season his teams dominated from an attacking perspective. They kept getting done in by being a sieve defensively. They then went on to fix that by making their largest purchases on the defense Allison, Van Dyke and Fabinho. So far Steven has shown us nothing. We look awful in all phases of play. 

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Yeah, if you go back to Klopps first season his teams dominated from an attacking perspective. They kept getting done in by being a sieve defensively. They then went on to fix that by making their largest purchases on the defense Allison, Van Dyke and Fabinho. So far Steven has shown us nothing. We look awful in all phases of play. 

They finished 8th and they scored 63 goals conceding 50. the following season they finished 4th 78 goals for 42 conceded. He took a season to sort out the attack and two to sort out the defence. Still very early days for Gerrard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Recruitment strategy- the squad needed some experience. 
Formation- smith had been switching formation this season and neither were working. 
Massive expenditure in transfers? We bought Digne, got in two free transfers and a loan. What massive expenditure 

The recruitment strategy was always buy yoing with resale value. SG has bought digne and coutinho both at the wrong end of their 20's. Not a criticism, just fact.

Smith changed things when it wasn't working, i.e 4231 to 433 to 532 etc. It still didn't work, which is on smith, at least he tried to rectify things. Gerrard is yet to do this even though their are huge weaknesses with his system and we've been awful for a while.

Digne - 25m approx, coutinho - huge wages (most likely our highest ever paid loan), plus 30 odd mill in the summer. We also had bids rejected for bissouma which tells you we were prepared to spend big in han and will do in the summer - all good if the right players are bought for the correct system. 

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The recruitment strategy was always buy yoing with resale value. SG has bought digne and coutinho both at the wrong end of their 20's. Not a criticism, just fact.

Smith changed things when it wasn't working, i.e 4231 to 433 to 532 etc. It still didn't work, which is on smith, at least he tried to rectify things. Gerrard is yet to do this even though their are huge weaknesses with his system and we've been awful for a while.

Digne - 25m approx, coutinho - huge wages (most likely our highest ever paid loan), plus 30 odd mill in the summer. We also had bids rejected for bissouma which tells you we were prepared to spend big in han and will do in the summer - all good if the right players are bought for the correct system. 

Like I said we needed some experience. Having young and potentially profitable players is great but it wasn’t getting us very far in reality. We were looking at our second relegation battle in 3 seasons, it wasn’t the time to even consider young and profitable. 
Smith had 3 years with the squad. Gerrard has had 3 months. The system showed promise early on so I can see why they persisted with it, if they don’t change it now that’s it’s clearly not working then it’s a problem. But it’s obvious why they’re trying to make it work. 
The board have backed Gerrard, I don’t see why they wouldn’t. But they did the same with Smith. 

22 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Like I said we needed some experience. Having young and potentially profitable players is great but it wasn’t getting us very far in reality. We were looking at our second relegation battle in 3 seasons, it wasn’t the time to even consider young and profitable. 
Smith had 3 years with the squad. Gerrard has had 3 months. The system showed promise early on so I can see why they persisted with it, if they don’t change it now that’s it’s clearly not working then it’s a problem. But it’s obvious why they’re trying to make it work. 
The board have backed Gerrard, I don’t see why they wouldn’t. But they did the same with Smith. 

Mate. We've gone full circle! My point is that pirslow will give gerrard more time than normally given, because purslow loves him. 

I agree we needed experience, but the whole recruitment strategy has shifted for SG, rightly or wrongly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They finished 8th and they scored 63 goals conceding 50. the following season they finished 4th 78 goals for 42 conceded. He took a season to sort out the attack and two to sort out the defence. Still very early days for Gerrard. 

An we need to remember, if it's taking a full season for a top experienced manager like Klopp to get success, it's gonna take Gerrard at least that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I agree we needed experience, but the whole recruitment strategy has shifted for SG, rightly or wrongly.

Not so sure. We spent a lot on three players in the summer and the only eye catching signing under Gerrard is a loan one. 

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Mate. We've gone full circle! My point is that pirslow will give gerrard more time than normally given, because purslow loves him. 

Yes but to prove your point you used examples which we had already seen with our previous manager. Neither or which proved you point that Purslow loves Gerrard. Because smith got the same treatment. The only clear change was the recruitment strategy, and is it even fair to make that comment given we’ve seen one January transfer window. The summer could be completely different. 

39 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Yes but to prove your point you used examples which we had already seen with our previous manager. Neither or which proved you point that Purslow loves Gerrard. Because smith got the same treatment. The only clear change was the recruitment strategy, and is it even fair to make that comment given we’ve seen one January transfer window. The summer could be completely different. 

Do you really think Purslow doesn't have a genuinne affiliation for SG, over and above that of potential managerual candidates? Its been pretty well documented from his time at pool and CP wanted him for ages.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Do you really think Purslow doesn't have a genuinne affiliation for SG, over and above that of potential managerual candidates? Its been pretty well documented from his time at pool and CP wanted him for ages.

We don’t know who we could have appointed realistically. Lampard and Roberto Martinez were linked. Yes we know we have great owners, young squad great fans etc but that means nothing really when we’re still a mid table team. I’d like to think if there was a top coach available we’d have gone for it, Purslow isn’t stupid. One thing I’m not going to buy into is the Purslow giving Gerrard special treatment narrative because we’ve yet to see any evidence of it so far. 

Just now, Dale said:

We have. The appointment. 

Gerrard's name shouldn't have been the number one link from day one. Favre, Hassenhutl, Cooper, Potter, van Bronkhorst whatever. Not someone who's success should be seen in context of the team and league his only experience came in. Gordon Strachan has won plenty of SPL titles, put him, McLeish and Lennon in a room and there are more than ten amongst them and we, rightly, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Some of the SPL's greatest managers like Walter Smith couldn't replicate down here, it was a shot in the dark based on Purslow's assessment of his character. 

Genuinely the only SPL manager who's moved from SPL down south with great success is Alex Ferguson, and that was more than three decades ago

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

Gerrard's name shouldn't have been the number one link from day one. Favre, Hassenhutl, Cooper, Potter, van Bronkhorst whatever. Not someone who's success should be seen in context of the team and league his only experience came in. Gordon Strachan has won plenty of SPL titles, put him, McLeish and Lennon in a room and there are more than ten amongst them and we, rightly, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Some of the SPL's greatest managers like Walter Smith couldn't replicate down here, it was a shot in the dark based on Purslow's assessment of his character. 

Again, we don’t know if Gerrard was number one link. Or if any of the managers you mentioned were possible. That was my point. Why didn’t Everton appoint one of those? 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We don’t know who we could have appointed realistically. Lampard and Roberto Martinez were linked. Yes we know we have great owners, young squad great fans etc but that means nothing really when we’re still a mid table team. I’d like to think if there was a top coach available we’d have gone for it, Purslow isn’t stupid. One thing I’m not going to buy into is the Purslow giving Gerrard special treatment narrative because we’ve yet to see any evidence of it so far. 

The only thing I'd say is that I think it was @Eastie on here who seemed to know Gerrard was going to be appointed before Smith's last match.  That seemed a massive shot in the dark at the time and he doesn't seem the type to make things up.  Obviously it's not concrete proof of anything, just worth putting out there.  

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

The only thing I'd say is that I think it was @Eastie on here who seemed to know Gerrard was going to be appointed before Smith's last match.  That seemed a massive shot in the dark at the time and he doesn't seem the type to make things up.  Obviously it's not concrete proof of anything, just worth putting out there.  

The Gerrard links started about summer 2020 when Smith was doing fine as well, it was even before he had won the league in Scotland

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Again, we don’t know if Gerrard was number one link. Or if any of the managers you mentioned were possible. That was my point. Why didn’t Everton appoint one of those? 

Well. Given the speed it was all done, I don't think there was much in the way of time to genuinely pursue a number of alternative candidates. Logic dictates, along with all the noises Purslow got his man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Nail. On. Head.

1 trophy in 9 in the SPL - is that really good enough to qualify for a big Premier League job?? 

• Like 1

The decision was a massive gamble but it still might pay off. Let's see how Gerrard deals with defeat and players who aren't used to winning. It's going to be interesting couple of weeks and one that's important for his and our future.

Has he got a plan b and will he use it? 

Â