Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Dale said:

Its levels though isn't. Neil Lennon has managed in and won the SPL more than once. No one would want him here. The SPL is a difficult league to gage in terms of managerial quality unless someone does something very impressive outside of Glasgow. Gerrard's successor up there won the league and domestic Cup (three times) in Netherlands with Feyenoord against a financially dominant Ajax (but AZ and PSV are also hugely competitive over there. So it's a bit of a feat)... 

I wasn't saying that Gerrard's three seasons at Rangers was enough to judge his managerial quality, just that the Sherwood comparisons are stupid.

2 minutes ago, picicata said:

Is that because they're shit or because they have no faith in a rubbish manager?

Did they have no faith in the previous manager either?

*I'm taking Ramsey out of that list. 

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

He made the only sensible change (Ings) and got a reaction from the players. We weren't able to score, but it wasn't because of not trying.

Ings should continue up top alone, and Konsa probably will be back in. Our midfield options are so poor that Luiz and McGinn select themselves.

I'd actually be tempted to have Chambers in midfield.

He has a range of passing and can defend, has some presence etc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not saying it'd change the result, our performance, or anything other than my perception, but it really **** rubs me up the wrong way that old man Hodgson is stood up shouting to his players, while our manager is sat down having a **** sulk looking like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Have you heard his post match interview? Sounded in the depths of despair.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well his 3 players in the first 11 didn't look much better than the other 8. 

If you give countinho a value of £40m - thats £65m spent in the summer window - with no improvement.

Doesn’t really matter about the other 8. Question is if they are an upgrade on the 3 they replaced. Digne is better than Targett but is in a slump. Coutinho is clearly an improvement in our attack and Chambers has been solid in his two appearances.

• Like 1

Really not sure what formation we went for in the second half . It was obvious Watford were playing on the counter, why take Emi off and leave it more open in the middle of the park? Bailey, Ings, Watkins and Coutinho all on at once. Felt like Bruceball but with better players 

• Like 2

I'm as dissappointed and pissed off as everyone, but I'm still in the supporting the manager camp.

Starting to feel like some of the same ones who let Deano down, are also letting him down, and as a bi product, the club and fans 

Revamp needed in the summer.

• Like 2

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Doesn’t really matter about the other 8. Question is if they are an upgrade on the 3 they replaced. Digne is better than Targett but is in a slump. Coutinho is clearly an improvement in our attack and Chambers has been solid in his two appearances.

I'd disagree.

Digne has been very poor in his last 2 games. His passing is unbelievably bad.

Chambers wasn't solid v Newcastle (he gave away the free kick that led to the goal) 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm as dissappointed and pissed off as everyone, but I'm still in the supporting the manager camp.

Starting to feel like some of the same ones who let Deano down, are also letting him down, and as a bi product, the club and fans 

Revamp needed in the summer.

You not think Digne is letting Gerrard down ? 

1 minute ago, ozvilla28 said:

Panic merchants and no tuffness in this villa team.

Do wonder if the fact that our two main central midfielders and central defenders were all heavily involved in the 19/20 campaign contributes to that.

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Did they have no faith in the previous manager either?

*I'm taking Ramsey out of that list. 

They weren't all shit all the time.

Honestly, the idea we have to change 80% of the team to fit into the system Gerrard wants to play is ridiculous. If he had any intelligence he would see that 4321 is not working and get some width on the pitch, we might create chances and be less open down the wings.

Such a bad appointment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Really not sure what formation we went for in the second half . It was obvious Watford were playing on the counter, why take Emi off and leave it more open in the middle of the park? Bailey, Ings, Watkins and Coutinho all on at once. Felt like Bruceball but with better players 

Given the numerous times we have tried Watkins and Ings with zero effect. It seemed incredible to rekindle that partnership today. A sub the changed the game imo.

• Like 1

It was right to dismiss Smith but Gerrard is just as inept. I didnt want him in the first place. Achieved nothing and proved nothing as a manager. Was a crazy appointment based on **** all. If they keep him they keep him and if they don’t they don’t. I’ve lost pretty much all interest in anything Villa/Football related at the moment. I’m at the same stage I was at during the 2001-2005 wilderness nothing years. 

• Like 1

Â