37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interesting comments from Ollie:

The standards have gone up under Gerrard'

FT: Aston Villa 2-0 Brighton

f6ea3c69-98f2-4657-9128-35fca1ac6b38.jpg

Aston Villa

Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins to Match of the Day: 

“I’ll be here all day if I was to say the rules - there are quite a few.”

Blimey. Wonder what these numerous “rules” might be?

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Always rated you above Lampard and Scholes ;) 

Lol.

Not even being funny, but so did I, well at least Lampard, not sure about Scholes.

I remember the midfield battle was always between him and Lampard.

Lampard was a superior finisher and goalscorer, but Gerrard was just an all round complete midfielder and dynamo. ( He only scored screamers it seemed )

Scholes was more of a Pirlo type so not sure he is in that category of comparison.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Blimey. Wonder what these numerous “rules” might be?

Here's a few guesses based on what he did at Rangers, what's been said in the press, and the sorts of rules other managers impose:

• Stricter diet - ketchup ban etc
  • Higher energy levels in training (based on heart rate monitoring)
  • Punctuality for training, appointments, games, etc
  • Curfew in the run-up to games
  • Body language (Klopp is very big on this - don't show your opponent that you're tired or struggling)

And then a system of fines probably to enforce it all.

I imagine Smith had something in place tbh, so Gerrard is probably just being a bit stricter. These things always get exaggerated, and let's be honest, Watkins scored today because he got moved inside, not because of the new training regime. He was dog shit on the wing.

Extrwmely effective management today.. i just get that vibe from him that he will really make a success of this. The players will not get a free ride at any time and he will set the standards himself and follow them to the letter.  The passion was there for everyone to see. He is a winner and will get us winning far more football matches. Because he will not accept any less . I think a fair few players will get left by the wayside through no fault of their own. They just simply will not be good enough for what he wants and where he wants us to get to. He is scary but in a good way. 

• Like 2

The Scottish fans posting earlier in thread said that one of his weaknesses was his game management and substitutions. They have of course got 3yrs worth of viewing to form their opinions, but I thought everything he did today on that front was spot on. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

The Scottish fans posting earlier in thread said that one of his weaknesses was his game management and substitutions. They have of course got 3yrs worth of viewing to form their opinions, but I thought everything he did today on that front was spot on. 

God forbid he may have learnt something in those three years eh?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its disappointing if mcginn and Mings, 2 senior pros and key players for us look better after 3 training sessions

Is that Gerrard or is that them phoning it in and underperforming for Smith? I'm leaning to towards the latter 

Why does it have to be either? It could just be people who have lost that extra bit of drive. It doesn't have to be personal either way or vindictive. 

Shades of grey. 

Â