The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I wasn't last night or this morning but it is very much looking like Gerrard is our next boss. No denial from Gerrard and it is not just one 'ITK' suggesting it. Every single mention of the Villa on social media is saying Gerrard is coming to Villa. It is time to start believing I suspect

Oh yeah something's go on for sure. I just wonder if Rangers might make a counter attempt to keep him - promising cash for players etc....

Just now, nick76 said:

If he wants the Liverpool job he’s going to have to prove himself at somewhere other than Rangers and he can’t have a better, softer option than Villa….everything is in place for him to succeed.  If he fails, that’s on him, if he decides to stay at Rangers he won’t get his dream job at Liverpool.

Not Newcastle and an open chequebook?

40 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Bigger the risk the bigger the reward

Well I only care about the risk to my club and not Gerrard's CV and I just can't shake off that fact that he'd be too much of one for us.

Then again, I guess there's better qualified folk than me making this decision. True we'll have more media attention but I dunno, I still feel uneasy about it all. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I’ve seen no one calling for smiths head from day one - yes he had criticism at times and rightly so but he was given praise too when deserving of it - Gerrard same as any manager will be judged on performances and results . 

was a few one was disappointed he wasnt Bielsa and one was disappointed he wasnt Steve Bruce. criticism went on all the time even when we won

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

If he wants the Liverpool job he’s going to have to prove himself at somewhere other than Rangers and he can’t have a better, softer option than Villa….everything is in place for him to succeed.  If he fails, that’s on him, if he decides to stay at Rangers he won’t get his dream job at Liverpool.

Really. If he bombs at villa - I could see him getting a job in the background at Anfield. Or even another PL club.

Just now, mottaloo said:

Well I only care about the risk to my club and not Gerrard's CV and I just can't shake off that fact that he'd be too much of one for us.

Then again, I guess there's better qualified folk than me making this decision. True we'll have more media attention but I dunno, I still feel uneasy about it all. 

I get the uneasy feeling, but the potential reward for Villa is nice if he can replicate the sort of thing he did in Rangers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

As someone who's never really rated Smith as much as most other people here, there are definitely some people who I feel are part of the hardcore Smith out crowd and have never said they backed him.

At the same time, there's a lot of people who are hardcore Smith in as well and to this day are showcasing their colours.

Not surprising really, people are commited to their agendas.

I was a big pro Smith fan, he probably deserved to go and expected to replace him with a proven upgrade. 

We didnt

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He fails and his managerial career is over. Look at all our managers over the years. Where are they now?

It's astonishing.  We really are the graveyard of managers down the years. Bruce is actually the first one in a while to get a big job after us. I think Smith will go on to have a good career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

Of course Eastie!! It will be revealed, but not by pretend ITK. I don't believe they've had 'official' talks, let alone saying it's DONE on a forum. He's 100% in a shortlist, that's the thing though, a shortlist needs to be worked through. I'm sure Villa know if Gerrard wants to come as well as other candidates and will now be honing in and finalising. Done by Friday, whoever it is. I don't mind Gerrard and find some of the comments on him bonkers. Wouldn't be my first choice though. 

Mainly in football you target your main man , find out if he’s interested and then set out to attain him - talk of interviews and Martinez , hassenhuttl, and the danish guy is all very fanciful but pie in the sky - very few managers in a job go through the interview process on a shortlist . Purslow would have been well aware that he he could get gerrard before sacking smith . 
my first choice would have been potter and I think he may have been gettable but Gerrard is fine by me .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Really. If he bombs at villa - I could see him getting a job in the background at Anfield. Or even another PL club.

But he doesn't want a background job at Anfield. And if it bombs at Villa, with the squad we have and funding from the owners I can't see too many PL clubs looking his direction