The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Do you remember when some idiot decided to put a fence top to bottom, down the middle of the Holte, to separate left from right? One daft guess: it was planned to allow away supporters to be on one side! We soon pulled that down!

Was there to allow stewards, medics and police get up and down quickly.

Left side give us a swing, left Sid left side give us a song....ssssssssssshhhhhh!!! AAhhhhhhhhhh!! Good old days

33 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Do you remember when some idiot decided to put a fence top to bottom, down the middle of the Holte, to separate left from right? One daft guess: it was planned to allow away supporters to be on one side! We soon pulled that down!

What year was that? 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Still not convinced this is a done deal. Wouldnt surprise me if Gerro leaves us in the lurch at the last minute 

I wasn't last night or this morning but it is very much looking like Gerrard is our next boss. No denial from Gerrard and it is not just one 'ITK' suggesting it. Every single mention of the Villa on social media is saying Gerrard is coming to Villa. It is time to start believing I suspect

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really?, easiest decision and job to walk into.  Bigger job, stable squad, talented squad, plenty of talented youth coming through, easy to improve under performing team, rich good owners, great fan base, large war chest, no real issues plus probably a huge pay rise, closer to home, in the PL and your boss (Purslow) is a friend.

Kind of agree and disagree. 

I think in June it was a very easy job to walk into.  Real buzz based on the final league position, some of our early season / end of season results, success in the Youth Cup, etc.  Seemed like Jack might stay and that with Emi B arriving we would be a huge attacking threat.

But anyone now will be aware that we are still struggling post Jack and that it will be tough to sort that out in January through new signings.  So it will be big challenge to get us from mid-table into European contention.  What I like about SG is that he clearly has an aspiration to get to the top (demonstrated this as a player for Liverpool and England countless times) and that his top is competing for and winning things.  So in some ways for him taking us over and finishing 9th / 10th / etc is far higher risk (in terms of his overall ambition) than other names on the list for whom 9th / 10th would be an improvement on before and maybe another small step forward in their career.  Us finishing 12th seems like it would impact SG's reputation much more than maybe someone like Potter for whom that might be good enough to get another shot with a club in a similar position.

So I think SG would be excited about many of the things in your list but he'll also know that if it doesn't work out then he might struggle to get a second chance elsewhere.  So I still think that leaves a reasonably big "sell" in terms of ensuring that SG sees that our aspirations are achievable and that he has a great chance of enhancing his reputation. 

That said there really aren't that many other clubs that can compete in opportunity - you'd have to say that he'd be unlikely (at the moment) to be offered a job with the Super 6.  Leicester unlikely to make a change soon.  West Ham similar.  Everton would not be an option.  Newcastle is a massive gamble - most of the players know that if they stay up this season then they will be replaced and so motivation could be a massive problem if they don't escape from the relegation fight quickly).  Then everyone else becomes pretty much a stepping stone to a stepping stone.  So for someone wanting to prove themselves in the PL we're a pretty good option.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He will be confirmed by Friday and in post by Monday I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was confirmed late tonight or tomorrow. He had an overnight bag with him getting off the train. He presumably expects to sort it all out with one visit

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He fails and his managerial career is over. Look at all our managers over the years. Where are they now?

If he wants the Liverpool job he’s going to have to prove himself at somewhere other than Rangers and he can’t have a better, softer option than Villa….everything is in place for him to succeed.  If he fails, that’s on him, if he decides to stay at Rangers he won’t get his dream job at Liverpool.