The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wouldn't say kitchen sink. It would be fair to say he has proven more than you realise.

Sticking with the transfers and money etc.

He spent around £1.2m this season, roughly £9m last season, 10m the 19/20 season and roughly £7m when he arrived in 18/19.

The 5-6 players he has invested those funds on over the last few seasons have turned out to be pivotal to them, whilst some are ones for the future. The majority of his signings have been loans and free transfers.

£27m in four seasons to build a whole entire team, stop your main rivals achieving a major milestone and reach the last 16 of Europa league along the way is astonishing, no matter what league it is.

I don't know what more could be asked of a manager in that position given the success he has delivered.

Cant agree that Gerard stopped celtic truth is Celtic stopped Celtic they eere dross and not much better this season in a very average Scottish league 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

A lot of stars aligned for that to happen.  Rodgers would be the only one (that's somewhere near feasible) to have tat effect.

I would like Rogers. He has a habit of bottling it when it counts. Liverpool had the league within their grasp and they threw it away and Leicester have bottled 4th spot for the last couple os seasons

EDIT: I would NOT like Rogers

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Average team.  Rangers threw the kitchen sink to stop 10 in a row and posted 23m in loses on Friday because of it.  On top of that Celtic sold anything of value that wasn’t nailed down and had an idiot as Lennon at the helm.  

Gerard may or may not be a good manager but he has proven very little.  Id rather we go with alot more experience than taking this gamble 

Steve Davis and Defoe came from Premier League contracts as well if the fees weren't so big

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I know you're upset because Smith has gone but onwards and upwards Nick.

oh I agree I am upset about Smith being sacked and yes I'm hoping for onwards and upwards but Gerrard is downwards and backwards!  It's just not a positive move forwards for this club.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard has never been involved in a relegation battle in his career and also has no idea to build a defence. His right back at Rangers averages 10 goals a season and couldn't get a game in Newcastle 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thank **** if he is. Rather the rocket polisher wasnt associated with Villa

That's because your posts are more based on personal hatred against him opposed to sensible footballing opinions it could be said.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Muzzvill 1965 said:

Cant agree that Gerard stopped celtic truth is Celtic stopped Celtic they eere dross and not much better this season in a very average Scottish league 

Maybe so, but on paper it reads that Rangers won the league which is on his CV.

To also go an entire season undefeated is a good achievement even in that quality of league.

• Haha 1

Im sorry but who are Villa, a team in its third year back in the prem, survived by skin of our teeth, last year.....played for 18 games.

I think a few need to really think about what they saying, turning their nose ups at some of the names mentioned, I'm sorry, but we are not as big as we think we are, its alright having money and a nice ground, it doesnt mean anything.

Its shame it didn't workout for Smith, but please, look at his record, its poor, reliant on Grealish and a pot of money, no plan A or B.  But, he has been let down by some players, simple basics he cannot effect.

Its also been a funny summer so you could argue this season was always going to be difficult.

Either way, its a new chapter and must back the new manager regardless of who it is.

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's because your posts are more based on personal hatred against him opposed to sensible footballing opinions it could be said.

I have given my other reasons as well. Doesn't help he is a prick

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Maybe so, but on paper it reads that Rangers won the league which is on his CV.

To also go an entire season undefeated is a good achievement even in that quality of league.

Neil Lennon has won a few leagues as well in Scotland. Was even ahead of him when Gerrard was bottling the title pre Covid season 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

oh I agree I am upset about Smith being sacked and yes I'm hoping for onwards and upwards but Gerrard is downwards and backwards!  It's just not a positive move forwards for this club.

It can't be anymore backwards than where it was heading under Smith.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So Danny Murphy claims that " The ceiling of expectation at Aston Villa is low, and wouldn't meet Gerrard's ambitions " etc.

Let's hope Gerrard thinks he's a prick as well.

Does anyone have background as to why Murphy hates us so much?

I actually used to like him as a player.

No idea he wasn’t good enough for Liverpool, and went to a average Spurs side and then ended up in a relegation battling Fulham,  when he was playing we were slightly below , on par and better than the teams he was playing for 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surely none of us know that yet. SG is unproven, just like DS was unproven. SG could be be great for us just as DS was. Personally I don't want him but he could prove to be an inspired appointment. 

5 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Every single player in our first XI is more expensive than their counterpart in the Brighton or Southampton team.

It’s “facile” just to look at their win rate like you did and ignore the constraints within the clubs they’re operating.

I’m not sure we even massively disagree. I’m not enamoured with any of the options. Obviously I’d prefer Simeone or Ten Haag, it’s just cuckoo land. I think these two are the best of the ‘realistic target’ bunch.

I get that, but that's only due to the summer spend, right? And our players haven't had time to settle or bed in yet - haven't Ings/Bailey/Buendia only played 20-odd minutes together or something?

I don't think that Potter or Hassenhuttl have done that badly and I'm not being overly critical, but they're not particularly impressive either IMO and my point is that the sacking of Smith should lead to us appointing someone clearly better than him, otherwise it's a massive gamble. I don't see those two as big enough steps up, though I'd prefer them to some of the other names we've seen mentioned.

Just now, Zatman said:

Neil Lennon has won a few leagues as well in Scotland. Was even ahead of him when Gerrard was bottling the title pre Covid season 

I am not taking anything away from Neil Lennon. But he isn't in the frame to be Villas next coach?

I'd suggested earlier in this thread that Potter wasn't the solution as I assumed a pursuit of him would be fruitless. He is held in very high esteem by the Brighton owners, has a very long contract and has little pressure. They have a very progressive approach (like ours) with good ownership and smart strategy around recruitment and youth. They are also 7th in the table and to be honest, they are delivering against "the best of the rest". Why would he move? However he is a Villa fan and perhaps money talks? He does seem to be a very intelligent manager on the up.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So Danny Murphy claims that " The ceiling of expectation at Aston Villa is low, and wouldn't meet Gerrard's ambitions " etc.

Let's hope Gerrard thinks he's a prick as well.

Does anyone have background as to why Murphy hates us so much?

I actually used to like him as a player.

Hes ex Liverpool - they don't like Aston Villa.