January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

No but I have heard of him, tell me more if you want to

Jimmy Brown joined our youth set up (mid 1960s) when he left school in Scotland. He had been captain of Scotland schoolboys football and was seen as the next ‘great’ to come out of Scotland. We were in a desperate situation then so he was called on to make his debut just before his 16th birthday - I was there and he did look good. He was then played again and seemed to be treated as a regular first teamer. He burned out very quickly and eventually left us. No one can be sure that he would have been a ‘great’ but early exposure did him no favours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Jimmy Brown joined our youth set up (mid 1960s) when he left school in Scotland. He had been captain of Scotland schoolboys football and was seen as the next ‘great’ to come out of Scotland. We were in a desperate situation then so he was called on to make his debut just before his 16th birthday - I was there and he did look good. He was then played again and seemed to be treated as a regular first teamer. He burned out very quickly and eventually left us. No one can be sure that he would have been a ‘great’ but early exposure did him no favours.

Some just take to it, I think Feeney could

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Some just take to it, I think Feeney could

Why do you think this? The risk is great therefore many in football believe much care should be taken over youth development. But if you have sound, substantial, reasons please share. 

13 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

That's backwards ass logic though. To improve surely you sell Hause not Ming's. Then you get Botman or whoever to pressure Ming's and Konsa properly. That's called improvement.

Every few days people want to sell Mings 😂😂

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Why do you think this? The risk is great therefore many in football believe much care should be taken over youth development. But if you have sound, substantial, reasons please share. 

I’ve seen him quite a few times for our u18s and u23s and he just looks a great talent. He plays with such a mature head for someone of 16 years old. The risk is great, yes but you could say that about any young player. He’s so calm and composed and he reads the game so well for someone so young. The press reported that when Feeney was at Fleetwood Town that Man United wanted and he has captained England at under 16 level 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’ve seen him quite a few times for our u18s and u23s and he just looks a great talent. He plays with such a mature head for someone of 16 years old. The risk is great, yes but you could say that about any young player. He’s so calm and composed and he reads the game so well for someone so young. The press reported that when Feeney was at Fleetwood Town that Man United wanted and he has captained England at under 16 level 

All this shows is that he should have a good future in football. Looking good at the u18 & u23 levels does not mean he is ready for the first team now. At 16 years old he is not physically mature and in our Premier League you need physical strength, athleticism and skill. At 16 he is still growing physically and therefore his athleticism is developing also. He certainly has skill but over exposure at senior level - before he is is physically and athletically ready - is a serious risk. I think he is too good to risk it.

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Just hopes he manages to get rid of the same lapse of concentration at times similar to the one Mings has. He looks the real deal, but occasionally does not pay attention to his surroundings. Only 16 thou, so I do not hold it against him :D

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im not sure what our salary position is, but do you think we might need to offload a few players now to buy a LB & DM? (after signing Coutinho)

Coutinho has cost us (at this point) around £6 million.  That doesn't even buy you a Championship player these days.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im not sure what our salary position is, but do you think we might need to offload a few players now to buy a LB & DM? (after signing Coutinho)

No because of the Jack sale we have a 3 year window where we can essentially offset player costs against it. So Ings is 25m on 3 year deal, total cost ~ 44m. Say we are paying 7m for the 6m and then exercise Coutinho clause and buy him for 10m and pay him 200k a week on a 2 year contract. That comes to another ~ 38m

Jack was sold for 100m and his wages for his new contract offer would have been another 30m over the three years. 

For arguably the biggest signing in this modern era we all appear pretty quiet regardless of whether its a loan. He may not even live up to the hype but irrespective im very excited nonetheless 

• Like 1

Amazing getting Coutinho in and hopefully SG can get him firing! My worry is that this may be at the expense of filling the defensive / defensive midfield gaps we have 

As a minimum we need something at CB, FB and ideally DCM, and ideally players who will strengthen the first XI not just add depth

It will be interesting to see how this pans out - do we make do with what we’ve got, take a look at Courtinho and then make our moves in the summer or do we bring in 2 or 3 more now. Europe looks a long shot from where we are this season. 

8 minutes ago, RicRic said:

For arguably the biggest signing in this modern era we all appear pretty quiet regardless of whether its a loan. He may not even live up to the hype but irrespective im very excited nonetheless 

Quiet ? We’ve hit 129 pages in 3 days. 

On 09/12/2021 at 08:08, punkiller1981 said:

Not a chance. A 29 year old on a huge salary that his last 2 teams hardly used him! Sounds like an awful signing to me for anyone. It’s his type of signing that showed me that Barca have no clue what they are doing and just pick names without any thought of how they will be used or fit into the group 

Let’s hope it goes well