The Indian Academy

hippo

is this still going or indeed Did this ever happen ? -  has it been filed with theme park under BS !

(Article from July 2016) 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/25/aston-villa-plans-in-india

Aston Villa is opening its first football academy outside England in India.

This follows discussions held with the Minister of Sport Vijay Goel and the Minister of Education Prakesh Javedekar.

Villa is to be appointed as advisor on football as the sport forms part of the national curriculum for Indian state

• Like 1

That would be a decent move because Indian football is improving with the Hero Indian league.Not only that but if Villa got established over there it would be a gold mine for shirt etc sales.

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

That would be a decent move because Indian football is improving with the Hero Indian league.Not only that but if Villa got established over there it would be a gold mine for shirt etc sales.

It was 5 years ago. Just wondering if it was just Xia grabbing headlines - or did the academy ever happen. I'm suspecting the former. ! 

1 minute ago, PussEKatt said:

Well,I stick with my last post.If we could move into India ( academy,tour,free Villatv or something we would have the whole country virtually/possably Villa supporters.  

Yes agreed. We have to boost our worldwide appeal if we ever going compete with the top 4 or even top 6.

• Like 1

Yes,this is what Manure do.I remember them touring down this part of the world way back. I actually saw the european cup winning team live.Thats the team with Best,Charlton,Stiles etc etc.As I say Manure have been doing this for uears thats why they have such a huge fanbase.

I think this is a very good step. The thing with India is that most people speak English and they’re familiar with England (unlike China). Football is improving there aswell. It’s the second country in terms of population. I think from a marketing perspective we’ll see a lot of difference. If we can get a very good player out of there, it will be a huge thing for our club.

I'm am quite connected to the Indian football circles and don't think the project ever got off the ground. In fairness, Villa are not the only foreign club to march into India talking a big game, but very few have been able to cement strong roots there. 

There are only two ways to grow a club's presence in a foreign country - win trophies or sign a player from that country. All the marketing and development activities will make little difference. As an example Leicester with its Thai owners and a lot of activation across Thailand have failed to really create a following in that country. 

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

I'm am quite connected to the Indian football circles and don't think the project ever got off the ground. In fairness, Villa are not the only foreign club to march into India talking a big game, but very few have been able to cement strong roots there. 

There are only two ways to grow a club's presence in a foreign country - win trophies or sign a player from that country. All the marketing and development activities will make little difference. As an example Leicester with its Thai owners and a lot of activation across Thailand have failed to really create a following in that country. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

Arjan Raikhy might be someone who can help us grown in that part of the world?

Think he's of Punjabi descent but born in England...would he be eligible to play for India or Pakistan depending on his parents roots? Not sure he'd choose to even if he could and suspect this may limit his following. 

Chris Samuelson also did an intervew where he said we were looking to either buy or setup a new Indian Super League club as part of this project, in the end I don't think it was ever anything more than us sending some coaches to an already existing football academy and it probably came to an end as soon as we hit financial difficulties in eighteen.

I think I'm right in saying that either Purslow or Harrsion made reference to having academies around the world saying that before we think about that we have to sort our own academy, and make sure we're getting the best local talent.

Incidentally Al Jezeera have done a sort of exposé on Samuelson which I think is going to air tonight...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, useless said:

Chris Samuelson also did an intervew where he said we were looking to either buy or setup a new Indian Super League club as part of this project, in the end I don't think it was ever anything more than us sending some coaches to an already existing football academy and it probably came to an end as soon as we hit financial difficulties in eighteen.

I think I'm right in saying that either Purslow or Harrsion made reference to having academies around the world saying that before we think about that we have to sort our own academy, and make sure we're getting the best local talent.

Incidentally Al Jezeera have done a sort of exposé on Samuelson which I think is going to air tonight...

Dark days indeed.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Just jumped to the Villa part about 38 mins in. Shocking. According to this Samuelson was paid nearly 4 million dollars at Villa for doing virtually f-all. Admits Xia was a front and never had the money. Good grief. Might be worth putting this in the Xia thread as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just jumped to the Villa part about 38 mins in. Shocking. According to this Samuelson was paid nearly 4 million dollars at Villa for doing virtually f-all. Admits Xia was a front and never had the money. Good grief. Might be worth putting this in the Xia thread as well.

Think he was instrumental in bankrupting Reading as well.

2 hours ago, useless said:

An interesting watch. It makes the blood boil what these guys get up to.

Â