The Indian Academy

hippo

23 hours ago, Junxs said:

Even the emergence of Man City and Chelsea hasnt taken these Mun U and Liverpool fans from the Asian community so I'm not sure Villa being successful would make a difference here

Of course it wouldn’t…

all it would do is make fans of those teams want those teams to sign our players!

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Looking at the Olympics India are pretty feeble in most sports outside Cricket. They did get a gold medal in the javelin and there seems to be a long awaited revival in Hockey but that seems to be about it. When compared to China they are waaaay behind.

Isn't that just because most authoritarian regimes (China, Russia, all the old Eastern block) use sport to instill a sense of national pride to cover over the fact that they are oppressing their citizens and India is governed fairly democratically? That's a genuine question on India. I know it has its inequality problems but authoritarian it is not or am I completely wrong? Obviously we could argue that its government could put more funds into sport and just through sheer volume of numbers they would be more successful but targeted sporting success in order to mask over other failings is completely different.

Edited by sparrow1988

26 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Isn't that just because most authoritarian regimes (China, Russia, all the old Eastern block) use sport to instill a sense of national pride to cover over the fact that they are oppressing their citizens and India is governed fairly democratically? That's a genuine question on India. I know it has its inequality problems but authoritarian it is not or am I completely wrong? Obviously we could argue that its government could put more funds into sport and just through sheer volume of numbers they would be more successful but targeted sporting success in order to mask over other failings is completely different.

Well yes but any large nation which is developing usually likes to use the Olympics as soft power. I am just saying as India is emerging as a world power then you would think Olympic peformances should now start to improve but is yet to happen. Obviously it is not seemingly a top priority.

• Like 1

Â