Tim Iroegbunam

useless

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have high hopes for this boy.....I see similar things I first saw in Gareth Barry.

I agree, he just looks comfortable playing the game like Barry did at a young age.

• Like 2

Head over heart for me regarding TI. 

As has been said looks very comfortable on the ball, an athlete, physical etc. However, he’s an 18 yr old kid with no experience of men’s football. We all know that the CDM role is pivotal for next season and that SG will be buying one as well as a more defensive 8. This will push IT further down the pecking order and limit his game time. The boy needs regular football at this stage. 

IMO, give him some game time between now and the end of the season as preparation for a Championship loan next season. This will be the best way to allow him to develop. He has the potential to be a first team player soon but just not yet.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him as a regular starter ASAP but let’s let the lad grow as a player before pinning all of our hopes on him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eholm said:

As has been said looks very comfortable on the ball, an athlete, physical etc. However, he’s an 18 yr old kid with no experience of men’s football. We all know that the CDM role is pivotal for next season and that SG will be buying one as well as a more defensive 8. This will push IT further down the pecking order and limit his game time. The boy needs regular football at this stage. 

IMO, give him some game time between now and the end of the season as preparation for a Championship loan next season. This will be the best way to allow him to develop. He has the potential to be a first team player soon but just not yet.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him as a regular starter ASAP but let’s let the lad grow as a player before pinning all of our hopes on him. 

Premier League will have 5 subs from next season, so I would expect some of the young players like TI who are in and around the first team to get more minutes next season coming off the bench and the odd start. But if he isn't getting game time then he can be loaned out to a Championship side.

Hopefully he can follow a similar path to Ramsey and become a starter in a few years.

2 hours ago, eholm said:

Spot on

also one of the attributes for a No6 Is a reader of the game......its too soon for a young player.

We need a leader, conductor, an authority in the middle.....big ask for a youngster.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Premier League will have 5 subs from next season, so I would expect some of the young players like TI who are in and around the first team to get more minutes next season coming off the bench and the odd start. But if he isn't getting game time then he can be loaned out to a Championship side.

Hopefully he can follow a similar path to Ramsey and become a starter in a few years.

He also needs to learn, he needs a mentor for that position.....A new top class No 6 will help with that.

It’s obviously true Tim lacks experience because of his age, but that doesn’t mean he can’t do the job. I’d really like to see him get a full 90 minutes once or twice before the end of the season so his current level of ability can be assessed fairly.

(Same goes for Carney, too) 

• Like 1

Iroegbunam looks a player, maybe Villa feel his development is best served at Bodymoor, soaking up the experience on matchday and now he's getting experience of PL games.

The signs are there, he's ready, comments from Gerrard and indeed the fact he's getting minutes confirms that.

Look at Ramsey albeit a different role he had a short loan in League One, playing seven games then following season playing PL for Villa.

Perhaps an older head like Henderson or Kondogbia is the way to go, a player to nurture Iroegbunam (and Nakamba) and the three of them rotate next season.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2022 at 15:14, Delphinho123 said:

If we were in Europe, then maybe both. To be honest, I’m against having too many players and a bloated squad. I’d be happy signing two defensive midfielders in the Summer and letting Luiz and Sanson go, along with maybe Nakamba too. 

We need a pathway to the team for our youngsters. They should be available should we get an injury, not if we get 2/3 injuries which in a specific position is always unlikely. You may as well loan him out if Nakamba is our back up for that role because his minutes will be so limited.

I'd just sign one DM and keep Nakamba, but fully agree with you about not wanting too many players and a bloated squad. We won't play more than 42 or 43 competitive games next season in all likelihood, we don't need that many. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, duke313 said:

I see your point around the 5 sub rule but he needs regular 90 minute matches as this is the only way he will learn all of the aspects of his game, his role and men’s football in general - both mentally and physically. 10 minute cameos here and there will do very little for his development IMO.  

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Spot on

also one of the attributes for a No6 Is a reader of the game......its too soon for a young player.

We need a leader, conductor, an authority in the middle.....big ask for a youngster.

100% TRO......and that technical and mental progression only comes with consistent, competitive game time in matches that matter. Fantastic prospect but a season too soon for Tim, imo. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Iroegbunam looks a player, maybe Villa feel his development is best served at Bodymoor, soaking up the experience on matchday and now he's getting experience of PL games.

The signs are there, he's ready, comments from Gerrard and indeed the fact he's getting minutes confirms that.

Look at Ramsey albeit a different role he had a short loan in League One, playing seven games then following season playing PL for Villa.

Perhaps an older head like Henderson or Kondogbia is the way to go, a player to nurture Iroegbunam (and Nakamba) and the three of them rotate next season.

Valid points, however, if SG genuinely believed TI was completely ready he would have had him starting games already considering our lack of genuine CDMs.....I mean, he even tried McGinn there first! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eholm said:

100% TRO......and that technical and mental progression only comes with consistent, competitive game time in matches that matter. Fantastic prospect but a season too soon for Tim, imo. 

He needs to be learning off a quailty CDM....Our coaches are more offensive types....as good as they was as players.

plenty of time for Tim, He just needs to be nursed along.

I generally hate when fans say x player needs to start the next game but we don’t see what goes into preparing for a game, but i feel differently about Tim on Saturday. 

I’m not saying he should play every game before the end of the season, but contrary some doom mongers we aren’t going down this season and a home start against the worst team in the league seems like the perfect opportunity to start the kid. 

I really hope he starts Saturday 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He needs to be learning off a quailty CDM....Our coaches are more offensive types....as good as they was as players.

plenty of time for Tim, He just needs to be nursed along.

Not entirely sure I agree with that mate. 

When Gerrard come in he played with Nakamba and has constantly talked about the defensive side of the game. I think the defensive frailties are down to personal rather than tactics, we simply don’t have a natural 6. 

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That sounds pretty sensible to me.....do you remember how Leicester started their rise with Cambiasso?....That Authority in the middle, pulling the strings, dicatating the tempo....Thats all for a player, who has seen it all.

Oliver Dacourt, was another example of a type, who would not have been particularly out of our reach.

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not entirely sure I agree with that mate. 

When Gerrard come in he played with Nakamba and has constantly talked about the defensive side of the game. I think the defensive frailties are down to personal rather than tactics, we simply don’t have a natural 6. 

I agree.

my points were made, in conjunction with developing TI.....We just have a shortage at the club, to mentor him, was my point.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

my points were made, in conjunction with developing TI.....We just have a shortage at the club, to mentor him, was my point.

Sorry if I misread your post mate

Â