Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Painfully slow and weak. 

Give it a rest will you. We all know he has major flaws , but he did create a chance Mcginn should have scored and tracked back and won the ball. Babbling on and on every time he plays is just getting old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Give it a rest will you. We all know he has major flaws , but he did create a chance Mcginn should have scored and tracked back and won the ball. Babbling on and on every time he plays is just getting old.

I won’t! 

Get rid this Summer. 

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If anyone offers 12-15m for this guy we should snap their hand off

If he is to leave in the summer it would most likely be on loan there’s absolutely no chance we sell him for a substantial loss,  he’d be sold near the end of his contract for a fee similar to what you mentioned which by then would probably be above his book value contributing as profit towards FFP.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

If he is to leave in the summer it would most likely be on loan there’s absolutely no chance we sell him for a substantial loss,  he’d be sold near the end of his contract for a fee similar to what you mentioned which by then would probably be above his book value contributing as profit towards FFP.

The longer we keep him the less we’ll get for him. He’s crap

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The longer we keep him the less we’ll get for him. He’s crap

We live in a magical world now of FFP where you apparentlt make more money keeping rubbish players on the books for a year and selling them for less a year later.

I've just sold my house for 20k less than it was worth last year but I'm winning!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes. My point is the loss becomes less but so does the fee we’d get for him

It doesn’t matter FFP doesn’t work that way the players value depreciates year on year so a fee of say £12m in the final year of his contract would likely be booked as profit. Same as Ings say we would have sold him 6 months after we bought him for 12m then i would have been booked as a loss for the ffp accounts. But because we sold him in his final year of his contract and near his book value it’s profit even though it’s a technically a loss. So the likely scenario if we decide that Bailey isn’t part of our plans is a loan then sell further along the line.

To be honest I see Emery keeping him around we most definitely will sign an upgrade ,  the names thrown around like Nico Williams (whom I rate) and Molerio would look as out of their depth as Bailey in their first season in the premier league and would need time to to adapt the only way I see Bailey leaving on loan is if we sign and experienced premier league forward like Deulofeu to rotate and take pressure of a big money signing like a Nico Williams.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

We live in a magical world now of FFP where you apparently make more money keeping rubbish players on the books for a year and selling them for less a year later.

I've just sold my house for 20k less than it was worth last year but I'm winning!

It's really not complicated. If I pay say 30m for a player on a 4 year contract, he has book value of £22.5m after 1 year, 15m after 2 years and 7.5m with 1 year left on his contract. If the players sale value is 20m and he's not worth the 30m we paid. If we sell the player after 1 season we book a 2.5m loss on the transaction. If we sell after 2 seasons we book a 5m profit. 

This is why a player who can contribute on the pitch isn't sold early into the contract, is often loaned out if they're not going to feature. The best example of this is Lukaku

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes. My point is the loss becomes less but so does the fee we’d get for him

I don't think the fee you can get for a player will be much different 2 or 3 years left on contract. It's when we get to 18m or 1Y left it drops. 

Edited by CVByrne

17 hours ago, AshVilla said:

The summer can't come quick enough.

Possibly the biggest one trick pony i've ever seen.

He must be the easiest player ever to defend against considering all he can do is cut in and shoot with his left.

Its one trick but he always seems to get a shot off. Defenders are reading it but not doing anything about it

• Like 2

Listen to a podcast with Dan Bardell yesterday morning & he had the European football expert Kevin Hatchard & they were talking about Bailey on there, Bardell mentioned how inconsistent he was & asked how he was in the Bundesliga & Hatchard said he was just as inconsistent he was in Germany. He would have 2 good games then have 4 or 5 quiet games. I'm prepared to give him next season under Emery & with more winger & forward players coming over the summer he will have to fight for his place, if anybody can get the best out of him it will be Emery. I do think there is a player in there somewhere.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the left for a bit. He's more than capable of doing the same sort of stuff as Moreno does, but he just looks awkward on the right and always seems to tie himself in knots trying to beat his man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's really not complicated. If I pay say 30m for a player on a 4 year contract, he has book value of £22.5m after 1 year, 15m after 2 years and 7.5m with 1 year left on his contract. If the players sale value is 20m and he's not worth the 30m we paid. If we sell the player after 1 season we book a 2.5m loss on the transaction. If we sell after 2 seasons we book a 5m profit. 

This is why a player who can contribute on the pitch isn't sold early into the contract, is often loaned out if they're not going to feature. The best example of this is Lukaku

What about wages? How are they factored in? You're still paying £100k per week for a player that is sitting on the bench. Surely that erodes any booked profit?

Just now, Xela said:

What about wages? How are they factored in? You're still paying £100k per week for a player that is sitting on the bench. Surely that erodes any booked profit?

Well if you loan them out the wages are paid and you usually get a loan fee too. If you feel the player can contribute on the pitch then you keep him and then sell when you book a profit. 

Â