Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think out and out pace to get past people, he's probably the only one. Who else do you see beating defenders with their pace? 

It’s not so much who else, I just think it’s funny that Ramsey is considered to have pace. I don’t think he’s any faster than, say,  Watkins and other guys like Traore, Buendia and Coutinho “outpace” others with their skill and quickness, not flat out speed. Honestly, I don’t really think pace is as crucial as others make it out to be but Bailey is the only one on the team I consider to have it. 

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

It’s not so much who else, I just think it’s funny that Ramsey is considered to have pace. I don’t think he’s any faster than, say,  Watkins and other guys like Traore, Buendia and Coutinho “outpace” others with their skill and quickness, not flat out speed. Honestly, I don’t really think pace is as crucial as others make it out to be but Bailey is the only one on the team I consider to have it. 

I think Ramsay has a quick burst and his top speed ks much faster than buendia and coutinho IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Ramsay has a quick burst and his top speed ks much faster than buendia and coutinho IMO.

Yeah I think his fastest speed is definitely faster than them. I’d be interested to see what the players top speeds are. There’s gotta be a stat somewhere for it. I remember Trez was one of the fastest guys in the league last year so I assume they have it for the rest.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, grobs said:

Remember when people thought he was quick? Getting major tonev vibes with a big price tag. Doesn’t even have the atomic strike 

Don't think you can get more insulting than comparing a player to Tonev. Kudos.

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Needs to get match fit before anyone can start pointing finger at him. It's alright calling players shit, if they've actually had chance to be shit when fit. 

I'm glad he's back because we sure need him. 

Finally, I've found a sane poster on Villatalk 👍

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I honestly think playing him as a lone striker ahead of Watkins and Ings, and we will see a much more potent Villa attack.

It's the only position I can see him fitting in this team. He's not one of the 10s as they are a vastly different skillset. He was unfortunately bough for a system we don't play and will suffer for that.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's the only position I can see him fitting in this team. He's not one of the 10s as they are a vastly different skillset. He was unfortunately bough for a system we don't play and will suffer for that.

Guy is incredibly talented. Agree with your point about it being his suited position in our Christmas 🎄 tree format. 

However, give him the ball in the final third and I think we have an absolute lethal weapon ready to unleash.

He can't be any worse than Watkins as a striker. I genuinely mean that. He literally, as a professional footballer with a decent career to date, can't be as bad as Watkins yesterday.

I think we may see Ings against Watford but right now, if people want Bailey playing, the only position up for grabs is that striker position. There is no way he displaces Buendia and Coutinho.

As others have said, he was bought for a system that uses wingers rather than fullbacks as the attacking threat out wide. He can count himself a tad unlucky that he's signed for a team that changed their manager and system so soon. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He can't be any worse than Watkins as a striker. I genuinely mean that. He literally, as a professional footballer with a decent career to date, can't be as bad as Watkins yesterday.

I think we may see Ings against Watford but right now, if people want Bailey playing, the only position up for grabs is that striker position. There is no way he displaces Buendia and Coutinho.

As others have said, he was bought for a system that uses wingers rather than fullbacks as the attacking threat out wide. He can count himself a tad unlucky that he's signed for a team that changed their manager and system so soon. 

As soon as we signed Bailey we immediately changed to a 532 with no wingers🤣

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Did he not torch Everton from left back?

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gets the benefit of the doubt given he's coming back from injury, but yet to see anything particularly impressive from him

His first touch against Newcastle after coming on that earned us a free kick on the right flank not far from the byline.

And, if you haven't seen it:

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

As soon as we signed Bailey we immediately changed to a 532 with no wingers🤣

I've been very forward with my views on our Summer window. It was a complete mess. Bailey and Ings were brought in without any plan or idea to use them. It may have been a data decision, I don't know.

We signed Buendia to play alongside Grealish behind Watkins. Fine. But then Grealish left and we signed Ings and Bailey. Why? Why did we sign another striker on huge money and another right sided attacker when we'd signed Buendia to play there? And then, to top it all off, we moved to a 3-5-2 which exclusively doesn't use wingers, nor a number 10 (Buendia).

It was a mess and it was ill thought out. Purslow himself admitted it was a mess, he just didn't realise he had when he said they'd replaced Grealish's output with the players they'd signed. That's a bonkers way of working. You can't just tally up his goals and assists and bring in players who play different positions with similar numbers in a hope to recreate that. 

At least in January, we signed Coutinho to finally replace the gaping hole left by Grealish. 

Anyway, back on topic. Bailey is collateral damage in the change of system and manager. I actually think he's got a lot of potential, but i'll be god damned if I know how he's going to fit into this system and show it. 

Â