Tammy Abraham

nick76

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think this thread proves he’s playing with the big boys now and he can carry his bone all he wants because I’ve got all the time in the world.  Until I see something credible to say it’s not true or the mods lock the thread, I’m not going anywhere.

Thank your lucky stars the player isn't Kosovan or the thread would have been locked weeks ago.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

38 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Can anyone remember a potential signing which was so passionately contested? I used to be cool and calm about why I’ve never wanted us to permanently sign Tammy… I’ve got to the point now with the circular arguments & somewhat pointless gifs on repeat that’s it gotten to be an irrational dislike to Tammy now.

He was (harshly?) ignored and is being dumped by Tuchel for a reason… the same reason that he hasn’t been linked with any elite teams in that he is not an elite level striker. He ain’t worth £35/40mill and be very disappointed in Smith if we sign(ed) him… For that money a whole better quality of striker is out there! 

sorry to say he would be better than davis and wes by far

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s a good question…maybe we did it on potential managers in the past. We’ve certainly done it on players we have signed an example being those for and against Wes, maybe even Davis.  But potential signings, I can’t think of one right now.

As for the rest of your comment, I certainly have that effect on people.  I should become a coach or something because I can get people really passionate about something.

I wholeheartedly respect your POV and passion. I don’t agree with your POV but know what it’s likes to get obsessive about signings and entrenched in a mindset.

I’ve just never liked Tammy that much really as a player, seems like a very nice bloke. And even during the heights of his heroics for us, never warmed to him, And I’ve said it before, it doesn’t financially stack up for me for a variety of reasons for the level of player I believe him to be. 

(sub🤔) £40mill Strikers the surely Patrick Schick, a player I’ve wanted when he  left Roma for Leipzig in summer 19 and then also last summer btw.  HE is a £38mill+ striker. His scoring record doesn’t doesn’t compare TBF but has attributes over Tammy is his favour. And after this tournament, I’m sure he will kick on in terms of goals return. He is but one name and the level of striker I’d expect for the figure of £40mill quoted For Tammy. 

PS: I’m not saying we should sign Schick as I don’t think we need a £22/£28/£40?million pound strike force at this stage of our development. I was just using Schick to illustrate my point… 

Edited by thabucks

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wholeheartedly respect your POV and passion. I don’t agree with your POV but know what it’s likes to get obsessive about signings and entrenched in a mindset.

I’ve just never liked Tammy that much really as a player, seems like a very nice bloke. And even during the heights of his heroics for us, never warmed to him, And I’ve said it before, it doesn’t financially stack up for me for a variety of reasons for the level of player I believe him to be. 

(sub🤔) £40mill Strikers the surely Patrick Schick, a player I’ve wanted when he  left Roma for Leipzig in summer 19 and then also last summer btw.  HE is a £38mill+ striker. His scoring record doesn’t doesn’t compare TBF but has attributes over Tammy is his favour. And after this tournament, I’m sure he will kick on in terms of goals return. He is but one name and the level of striker I’d expect for the figure of £40mill quoted For Tammy. 

PS: I’m not saying we should sign Schick as I don’t think we need a £22/£28/£40?million pound strike force at this stage of our development. I was just using Schick to illustrate my point… 

I totally understand your point of view.  Some players float your boat, some don’t.  I never got the enthusiasm on this forum for Davis, I was in the minority but I never warmed to at all and was (almost) one of our own.  I just never understood the support he received on here…so I understand where you are coming from.

Obviously I am passionate now about Tammy but I originally came into this discussion a few weeks ago not about Tammy at all.  My passion was about (what you have in small font) about needing another top notch striker.  Tammy has obviously become the poster boy of my argument but the main passion is I seriously believe we need two top notch strikers, with Ollie being one and then acquiring another.  I’ve commented a lot on that in this thread and in the summer transfers thread before that and the many reasons for it so I won’t go over them again but for me, after buying a CAM, a striker is the priority for me.  I think it’s key for our development I really do.  By your comment in small font you will disagree with that but that’s ok, we disagree on needs which is fine.

30 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

Never said he wasn’t. I’ve also never said he wouldn’t improve our squad… I won’t reiterate my stance on Tammy as it’s clear above … 

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Never said he wasn’t. I’ve also never said he wouldn’t improve our squad… I won’t reiterate my stance on Tammy as it’s clear above … 

Imagine if we do sign him, given your feelings towards him, has there ever been another player we’ve signed that you’ve had such strong feeling against?

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Imagine if we do sign him, given your feelings towards him, has there ever been another player we’ve signed that you’ve had such strong feeling against?

For me with Tammy it’s the fee more than anything… He’s worth £25mill @ £40million he will forever be compared to his price tag and burdened by the fact we overpaid. Kinda like Kodija as he will never be able to live up to it in terms of goal return. I see Tammy as a player who for confidence and getting his eye in on goal. he’s gots to be starting games regularly for 90mins. He has to be your focal point to get the benefit of him. For me he isn’t good enough at the prices bounded about to look to dislodge Watkins - he will prove to be an ineffectual back up and a very expensive one. 

In terms of players I’ve had strong feelings against. Neil Taylor in for Amavi & swopped for Ayew forever ground. Back in the day I do remember irrationally hating Simon Grayson for no real reason. Oh without going Off Topic …  Probs most of the O’Neil era which could've & should’ve produced so much more but was squandered on UK mediocrity on high wages and no resale value…

Tammy offers no resale value either btw imo. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

For me with Tammy it’s the fee more than anything… He’s worth £25mill @ £40million he will forever be compared to his price tag and burdened by the fact we overpaid. Kinda like Kodija as he will never be able to live up to it in terms of goal return. I see Tammy as a player who for confidence and getting his eye in on goal. he’s gots to be starting games regularly for 90mins. He has to be your focal point to get the benefit of him. For me he isn’t good enough at the prices bounded about to look to dislodge Watkins - he will prove to be an ineffectual back up and a very expensive one. 

In terms of players I’ve had strong feelings against. Neil Taylor in for Amavi & swopped for Ayew forever ground. Back in the day I do remember irrationally hating Simon Grayson for no real reason. Oh without going Off Topic …  Probs most of the O’Neil era which could've & should’ve produced so much more but was squandered on UK mediocrity on high wages and no resale value…

Tammy offers no resale value either btw imo. 

Thanks re paragraph 2, that’s interesting.

I understand your view re paragraph 1, obviously I don’t agree.

Your very last sentence I’m intrigued about.  Tammy, a 23 year old, even if you don’t like him must acknowledge he has good, regular scoring stats so surely if he leaves in 3 years at 26 he’s still has his prime and material resell value.

Even West Ham’s Seb Haller that they brought for 45m and was a complete disastrous flop got sold to Ajax for 20.2m.  We’d have to completely unlucky to have a flop of that magnitude.  

Surely it’s more reasonable to believe if it didn’t work out we might take a small hit, I think it’s very hard to argue otherwise. Obviously I’m the other way and think when he will be a success and he’ll be worth a lot more and if he’s ok and not great we at least get our money back.  Given what we’ve done to almost every other player under Smith, it tends towards increasing his resell value if anything.

I’m Interested how you justify or argue he has no resale value?

• Like 1

I like Tammy a lot for nostalgia reasons. However when we signed Ollie I was convinced we were signing the better player, and his performances for us have vindicated that.

As much as I'd be happy to see Tammy in a Villa shirt again, it might be best if he never comes back simply because right now he's considered a cult hero to many of us. He was integral to the promotion season and will be remembered fondly for it. There's a lot of ways that legacy could be tarnished if he comes back.

10 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

Someone with common sense.

Our second and third choices will be what let us down next season if Watkins picks up and injury. It maybe that we lose out on a European place by about 6 points because Watkins picked up an Injury. Then because of that problem we would then have the whole of VT going off big as to why we didn't pick up the best possible striker we could get for the best possible price possible which would be Tammy..

I can just feel it happening, or that Watkins goes on a goal droubt and we have no options, well capable options to bring in while Watkins gets abit of rest and refocuses.

Get Tammy in for Christ sake Villa. If we struggle to score goals next season for one reason or another, you know this lot who are complaining at Tammy possibly coming here will be the first complaining at why we didn't get himwhen we had the chance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

Can anyone remember a potential signing which was so passionately contested? I used to be cool and calm about why I’ve never wanted us to permanently sign Tammy… I’ve got to the point now with the circular arguments & somewhat pointless gifs on repeat that’s it gotten to be an irrational dislike to Tammy now.

He was (harshly?) ignored and is being dumped by Tuchel for a reason… the same reason that he hasn’t been linked with any elite teams in that he is not an elite level striker. He ain’t worth £35/40mill and be very disappointed in Smith if we sign(ed) him… For that money a whole better quality of striker is out there! 

They are not pointless GIFs, they have a meaning FFS.

Just for that:

episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Get Tammy in for Christ sake Villa. If we struggle to score goals next season for one reason or another, you know this lot who are complaining at Tammy possibly coming here will be the first complaining at why we didn't get himwhen we had the chance.

Create narrative to sign player management probably have no intention of signing so you can complain down the line when results don't go our way. Got it. 

3 hours ago, Greenfly said:

I like Tammy a lot for nostalgia reasons. However when we signed Ollie I was convinced we were signing the better player, and his performances for us have vindicated that.

As much as I'd be happy to see Tammy in a Villa shirt again, it might be best if he never comes back simply because right now he's considered a cult hero to many of us. He was integral to the promotion season and will be remembered fondly for it. There's a lot of ways that legacy could be tarnished if he comes back.

I don't agree to be fair Tammy should be brought in to compete with Watkins.

What's the point of having Wesley and Davis at the club of Watkins is worlds apart from them, best bring Tammy here where they can keep eachother on there toes.

I see what your saying about all the hero from the past with Tammy, but what if he can be a hero for the future again. Now I love Watkins but I want to see abetter version of Watkins each season and both Tammy and Watkins could be a really great partnership.

I just feel like some are failing to see the good of having Tammy back at Villa, they are outweighing a messily couple of cons over the many pros to having him back.

Edited by Dave-R

Â