Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Me too.

I find it odd that people think Zanioloi's better than Buendia unless it's based on seeing him before he came to Villa.  For me Zaniolo has somewhere between been awful and mediocre up until Saturday, when admittedly he did have a decent game.  His stats for the season would seem to back that view up.  Apparently Zero goal contributions despite playing in most matches, and as for being a target for high balls, only won three aerial duals all season.  Just from what I've seen he's lost the ball frequently, lost most of his duels, held on to the ball too long, made poor decisions and had very little influence on games. Compare his performance to Ramsey's when the latter replaced him against Brighton - the difference was immediate and stark.  Buendia is frustrating but positively influences every game he plays in. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I find it odd that people think Zanioloi's better than Buendia unless it's based on seeing him before he came to Villa.  For me Zaniolo has somewhere between been awful and mediocre up until Saturday, when admittedly he did have a decent game.  His stats for the season would seem to back that view up.  Apparently Zero goal contributions despite playing in most matches, and as for being a target for high balls, only won three aerial duals all season.  Just from what I've seen he's lost the ball frequently, lost most of his duels, held on to the ball too long, made poor decisions and had very little influence on games. Compare his performance to Ramsey's when the latter replaced him against Brighton - the difference was immediate and stark.  Buendia is frustrating but positively influences every game he plays in. 

I’m probably comparing him to Buendia in his first few months at the club. I’ve seen enough of Zaniola to feel he’s a better player than Buendia and I’m pretty confident in a few months once’s he’s fully settled many will agree.   

I like Buendia, he was just too lightweight for me. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

JJ would be causing chaos in this system even more than last season. Imagine him getting on the ball in the areas Zaniolo is. I don't think i am going too far in saying he would be unstoppable. And that goes nearly as much for Buendia as well.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m probably comparing him to Buendia in his first few months at the club. I’ve seen enough of Zaniola to feel he’s a better player than Buendia and I’m pretty confident in a few months once’s he’s fully settled many will agree.   

Well I suppose Buendia did also look underwhelming when he first joined, and I think it's obvious Zaniolo has ability  and potential and is probably not up to speed with the PL just yet.  I'd also make a case for Diaby not being fully up to speed yet, and if one or both have another gear or two in hand then we could see some very good things..   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The issue Zaniolo has is that he is most effective on the right of a 4231 or as a second striker coming from the right.  Basically Diaby positions. Same with Bailey, same with Traore.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

Once we get Mings, Buendia, JJ and Moreno back I expect us to have much less of a settled 'first' XI and see a fair bit more switching around of the starters to effect different tactics against different opponents. It'll make us less predictable and I've no doubt even more effective. Emi will get his share of starts IMO, but it'll be horses for courses rather than a rigid first XI followed by subs on 60mins.

I mostly agree with you. Playing in Europe you need a squad, rather than primarily a first team and back ups. However I do think Emery has a preferred line up for home games which is slightly different from away games. He clearly is playing pretty much the strongest team he can in the league so it's clear what his first choice line up is. But as you say he will certainly make small tweaks to the line up depending on the opposition.

Injuries are par for the course. Zaniolo is getting so many games primarily due to Buendia and Ramsey being injured. I'm sure Emery would've liked to gradually introduce Zaniolo if his hand wasn't forced by injury. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The issue Zaniolo has is that he is most effective on the right of a 4231 or as a second striker coming from the right.  Basically Diaby positions. Same with Bailey, same with Traore.

Yup and Ramsey and Buendia seem to be seen as primarily left sided and off the striker players. But both are injured. I see it very likely that if they're all fit McGinn is competing with Zaniolo for the right midfield role.  And Ramsey and Buendia on the left. With Bailey coming in at right wing if Diaby is out with one of the right mid player moving up to a no10 role.

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

For me Zaniolo has somewhere between been awful and mediocre up until Saturday, when admittedly he did have a decent game

This reminds me a little of the early days of the Douglas Luiz thread - he hasn’t been lighting games up, no, and there have been mistakes, but it’s weird to me when people can’t see the quality/potential based on his performances so far. Not that I necessarily think he’ll hit Dougie levels even if he avoids a ban. However that’s not to knock Buendia who I also really like! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This reminds me a little of the early days of the Douglas Luiz thread - he hasn’t been lighting games up, no, and there have been mistakes, but it’s weird to me when people can’t see the quality/potential based on his performances so far. Not that I necessarily think he’ll hit Dougie levels even if he avoids a ban. However that’s not to knock Buendia who I also really like! 

You'll see in my subsequent post I acknowledge he's obviously got ability and potential, but that doesn't alter the fact that his performances so far have still been mostly poor.  But he is improving.  To me it's more like Bailey's early games (after his initial brilliant debut cameo) where you could see glimpses of ability but he couldn't seem to make it happen. He still can't away from home but he's been very effective in home games.

The one I would compare to early Doug is Kamara who, last season at least was making the same mistakes Luiz kept making in his early days - getting caught on the ball then often giving a foul away trying to win it back.  I think Kamara has improved this season and has the potential to be on a par with Doug.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tragically, Buendia looked like he'd been living in the weight room all summer and seemed poised to show that he could handle the rough and tumble.

If you think about how narrow we’re playing against West Ham for example, buendias probably the perfect player to play alongside Mcginn behind the strikers. In terms of receiving the ball and opening up play on the counter he’s probably the best player we have to do it. Zaniolo played well on Sunday but at times he holds the ball for too long for me. I think he’d be excellent in the narrow build up 

30 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If you think about how narrow we’re playing against West Ham for example, buendias probably the perfect player to play alongside Mcginn behind the strikers. In terms of receiving the ball and opening up play on the counter he’s probably the best player we have to do it. Zaniolo played well on Sunday but at times he holds the ball for too long for me. I think he’d be excellent in the narrow build up 

He's also opted to shoot (and miss) twice when a simple slotted pass would've likely lead to a goal. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Tragically, Buendia looked like he'd been living in the weight room all summer and seemed poised to show that he could handle the rough and tumble.

That extra weight could also be why his ACL went. Wonder what he looks like coming out of rehab. 

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Zaniolo has quality, no doubt about it. It's his decision making that concerns me.

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

The one I would compare to early Doug is Kamara who, last season at least was making the same mistakes Luiz kept making in his early days - getting caught on the ball then often giving a foul away trying to win it back.  I think Kamara has improved this season and has the potential to be on a par with Doug

Fair points in your post overall but I don’t remember many people on here ever thinking Kamara was just not good enough for us which plenty thought with DL.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lightweight is never a problem, if the player have skill / vision and acceleration ( not raw speed over long distance, just burst into box etc ) especially in the position and role he playing, ala Bruno / Bernando Silva, Odergaad etc 

On 25/10/2023 at 08:42, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair but not one I think Emery agreed with if the end of last season is anything to go by. 

I think our strongest 11 is Sundays team with Ramsey in for Zaniola and Moreno in for Digne.

He started every game but 3 under Unai when he was fit including every game in the 5 game winning run

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Digavilla said:

Lightweight is never a problem, if the player have skill / vision and acceleration ( not raw speed over long distance, just burst into box etc ) especially in the position and role he playing, ala Bruno / Bernando Silva, Odergaad etc 

It is if you hold the ball too long and get shrugged off it leaving the defence exposed. This used to happen way too often for me. 

• Like 1

Â