Weekends Football 14/15 May

andykeenan

It's a shame that's finished that way in the end, it's taken something away from the game.

Ultimately I'd like to see the cup final decided on the pitch, not in an office at Stockley Park.

The worst thing in the game are these millimetre offside decisions that are ultimately decided by when one of our world class officials decides to press the pause button on his keyboard.

I thought overall Leicester deserved it, Chelsea looked a bit blunt, but as a cup final and an occasion I thought the VAR decision ruined it.

• Like 4

I only watched bits of the game, that decision at the end pissed me off, and I really didn’t have a strong care about who won.

I still can’t believe there isn’t more of a movement from clubs or fans to scrap it.

Based on what we've seen so far this season Chilwell's head and most of his body was beyond last Leicester defender so I expected it to be ruled out as more clear cut than a couple that have robbed Ollie of goals this season.

If this was us though and we were playing Man. United and 1 up going into last minute they'd have got a penalty or something!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Based on what we've seen so far this season Chilwell's head and most of his body was beyond last Leicester defender so I expected it to be ruled out as more clear cut than a couple that have robbed Ollie of goals this season.

If this was us though and we were playing Man. United and 1 up going into last minute they'd have got a penalty or something!

We’d have got a red card for being dangerously offside.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Short memory? Those same old......were the same knobjockeys who tried to destroy football a month ago.

I hope every one of the so called ESL founding clubs have massive problems in the coming years, no punishment is too much for them.

Hopefully chelski can begin a downward trend for them all.

I see where you're coming from, but ultimately, I don't want Leicester to be a more successful club than us.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Based on what we've seen so far this season Chilwell's head and most of his body was beyond last Leicester defender

I thought he was level - if he's offside it's by a distance that's a couple of inches and there simply isn't a way that you can make those decisions with genuine accuracy - you're just comparing two decisions, one from a man with a flag and one from a man with a pause button in an office.

I just think that's a really sad way to decide such a big game - even if its victims are richly deserving of it.

• Like 3

I don't think it was that poor a decision. He's offside by this year's ruling and more offside than a lot of the calls we've seen this year. This isn't dead level start counting pixels close, he's off.

Off enough that if VAR wasn't a thing and that goal goes ahead people would be complaining about the need for VAR and how the big teams always benefit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought he was level - if he's offside it's by a distance that's a couple of inches and there simply isn't a way that you can make those decisions with genuine accuracy - you're just comparing two decisions, one from a man with a flag and one from a man with a pause button in an office.

I just think that's a really sad way to decide such a big game - even if its victims are richly deserving of it.

But the man with the flag has had his process for decision making changed, who’s to say without VAR he wouldn’t have been flagged anyway? 

6 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I don't think it was that poor a decision. He's offside by this year's ruling and more offside than a lot of the calls we've seen this year. This isn't dead level start counting pixels close, he's off.

Off enough that if VAR wasn't a thing and that goal goes ahead people would be complaining about the need for VAR and how the big teams always benefit.

I'd like to think that after the shambles VAR has been, if we ever went back (which sadly I don't think will happen), people would just be grateful that matches are no longer being decided at Stockley Park.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd like to think that after the shambles VAR has been, if we ever went back (which sadly I don't think will happen), people would just be grateful that matches are no longer being decided at Stockley Park.

I don't think it ever will go back

Other countries have various controversies but its only us that are making a royal **** up of things and by us I mean PGMOL

FIFA and UEFA aren't scrapping it anytime soon, might somehow be the wake up call that the FA and the PL need to bin off Mike Riley and his gang of mugs, it needs an overhaul, with everything else that's gone on in football I'm surprised they've never really even hinted at the suggestion of poaching other countries refs 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think it ever will go back

Other countries have various controversies but its only us that are making a royal **** up of things and by us I mean PGMOL

FIFA and UEFA aren't scrapping it anytime soon, might somehow be the wake up call that the FA and the PL need to bin off Mike Riley and his gang of mugs, it needs an overhaul, with everything else that's gone on in football I'm surprised they've never really even hinted at the suggestion of poaching other countries refs 

There's some ridiculous calls in CL though still, that penalty that was called against Dortmund when Man. City player smashed the ball at Emre Can's hand from about 2 yards was a nonsense.

Think Premier league has messed up big time on offsides and intepretation in last two seasons but don't think it's any worse on other decisions than european football and the other major leagues, you'll chuckle watching seeing Juventus-Inter highlights and VAR allowing the final penalty in that to stand (and the other two weren't clearcut at all either and ref looked at the monitor for both aswell).

It's not even that the offside decisions are laughably marginal, it's that they're made after the ball's been put in the net and the players have gone into rapturous celebrations, it's a farce. If the technology existed to make these computer aided calls in real time so play could be stopped immediately it would be easier to live with I think, but then that would render linesmen even more redundant than they are at the moment.

I actually don't mind the offside decisions all that much when it comes to VAR. Though I can understand why some do. It has a set of rules and things either are or aren't offside. It's more the pure inconsistencies with decisions that drives me up the wall. 

VAR has just seemingly improved nothing. Had shit decisions before, getting shit decisions now.

All 3 big Istanbul clubs won tonight but Besiktas takes the title on 84 points, same as Galatasaray by 1 goal better GD +45 vs +44.

Toight!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

41 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But the man with the flag has had his process for decision making changed, who’s to say without VAR he wouldn’t have been flagged anyway? 

That's true and we do see linesmen wait, but for this one he'd signalled for a goal and started off back to the half way line - if he was going to fall he'd have flagged in the middle of the celebrations.

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I actually don't mind the offside decisions all that much when it comes to VAR. Though I can understand why some do. It has a set of rules and things either are or aren't offside.

It is, but the judgements are still human - they're still based on where someone decides to freeze the picture, where someone decides to draw a line, what part of the human body they begin their deliberations over - once we get to fine margins we should just be going with the decision on the field.

I've said it a number of time this season - use a line that's 15cm thick, if the player is beyond that line then we can assume that he is definitely offside, if he's within that band we can accept that the human factors are responsible for the decision and leave them with the man at the game with a flag.

• Like 2

Â