VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 19/07/2023 at 15:58, Marka Ragnos said:

Is it time we reconsider ... uh-hem ... <cough, cough> ... Phil Collins?

Superb drummer and I mean it, possibly the best of his generation but I'm sorry, he was an extra in Hard Days Night, so that's a massive no from me :crylaugh: 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

You only have to listen to the first 10 seconds of the song to know it's pronounced Lyza

This resonates with my family. My eldest daughter is a Liza, and it really pissed her off when her schoolteachers (and later, work colleagues) repeatedly called her Lisa. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Oh my Craig Charles ire continued yesterday... just another prime example of why I don't like his show

He has a feature where listeners suggest great B-sides. I have absolutely nothing against that but again it comes down to his lack of knowledge on the subject, especially as he claims this "punk" heritage (which is bollocks).

Someone wrote in suggesting Liza Radley, the B-side to The Jam's Start single... all good but when he reads it out he pronounces it Leeza, Leeza FFS! You only have to listen to the first 10 seconds of the song to know it's pronounced Lyza, they are literally the first two words of the lyrics. Piss off you absolute fraud. He did something similar about two sentences before that I've forgotten because the Liza Radley one infuriated me even more. He's always pronouncing band names / song names incorrectly because he really has no clue about the subject matter

Referred to Lykke Li as a "he" the other week... I listen to the time machine and then turn it off. He's awful. 

Geekery unbounded, records bought so far in 2023 by artist origin*:

Sweden 4%

U.S. 12%

Denmark 8%

Jamaica 8%

England 18%

Wales 50%

* artist origins based on my own limited research and subject to challenge

thank you

Edited by chrisp65
Forgot De La Soul!!!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

@Marka Ragnos has now (slightly hesitantly) championed both Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. 

We got a closet Genesis fan here, boys. 

Get the rope out. 

OK, OK --- it may be a little true. But I was age 12, folks -- OK, maybe I was 16, and there may have a brief period of a few years when I played Supper's Ready and A Family Portrait sort of ... every day. A few times a day. But I was a different person back then, and the important thing is, I did get help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

OK, OK --- it may be a little true. But I was age 12, folks -- OK, maybe I was 16, and there may have a brief period of a few years when I played Supper's Ready and A Family Portrait sort of ... every day. A few times a day. But I was a different person back then, and the important thing is, I did get help.

No Straight Jacket Required?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

No Straight Jacket Required?

It wasn't an event, it was a process. 😂  Naturally, it began with stuff like Japan and Ultravox, which had some elements of deep prog, really, with all the high concepts and banks of keyboards. It took a while before I got to punk. I mean, a lotta self-seriousness here and those drumsticks with little balls on the end are a dead giveaway lol:

Edited by Marka Ragnos

15 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It wasn't an event, it was a process. 😂  Naturally, it began with stuff like Japan and Ultravox, which had some elements of deep prog, really, with all the high concepts and banks of keyboards. It took a while before I got to punk. I mean, a lotta self-seriousness here and those drumsticks with little balls on the end are a dead giveaway lol:

I started with Punk / post-punk / reggae -> The good stuff in the 80s (Inc Japan) and then backwards to prog / psyche etc etc....to where I am now with Soundtracks / downtempo bleepy stuff / even some jazz 

My physical collection goes all over the place now. but that is kind of the progression. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

I started with Punk / post-punk / reggae -> The good stuff in the 80s (Inc Japan) and then backwards to prog / psyche etc etc....to where I am now with Soundtracks / downtempo bleepy stuff / even some jazz 

My physical collection goes all over the place now. but that is kind of the progression. 

Makes so much sense. Here's one you may know ... 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

8th September…

spacer.png

was going to message you about this but then thought Nah! He probably knew about it way before me :crylaugh:

I'll be interested in the previously unreleased tracks from that era - Phantom Power is one of my top 3 SFA albums for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

was going to message you about this but then thought Nah! He probably knew about it way before me :crylaugh:

I'll be interested in the previously unreleased tracks from that era - Phantom Power is one of my top 3 SFA albums for sure. 

Yeah, I think this might be an incredibly rare vinyl and CD purchase. It’s one of just 3 I don’t have on vinyl already.

At the time, I got this on CD because I knew Phantom Phorce was coming and I saved my money for that.

Timing is interesting, so close on the tails of releasing Ffa Coffi Pawb in a week or two, but then I think FCB might be a very limited niche thing.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 02:50, Mark Albrighton said:

From the TTPYOTS thread - and I’m sure it must have been discussed in depth before, but it’s needle in a haystack conversation, what do people consider to be best the music stream service?

I have a suspicion that this can be interpreted a few ways. 

Purely on a music streaming basis, which by the sounds of it is Spotify (it’s the only one that has its own thread on VT - I think).

Or on a broader level - what’s a better package. So, let’s say Amazon isn’t a better music streamer but you get other things for your subscription - tv, free delivery of tat that I’ve ordered, etc.

Is there a consensus on either front?

Ideally if one was better towards the people making the music - rather than a podcaster that I have no interest in - that would be a consideration. Although in all likelihood there’s a good chance I would buy a physical copy of something I particularly liked anyway.

Spotify is the greatest invention in the history of humankind as far as I'm concerned.

Consistently surprised by how much non-English music I can find on it too which is good for my listening tastes.

Edited by legov
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, legov said:

Spotify is the greatest invention in the history of humankind as far as I'm concerned.

Consistently surprised by how much non-English music I can find on it too which is good for my listening tastes.

Is it still a choice of free but with adverts, or pay to rent?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Is it still a choice of free but with adverts, or pay to rent?

Yeah you can still opt for free or subscription, subscription isn't too expensive too

Â